The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #31
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
This will never happen.
Why not? What more is there to be said?
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #32
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Why not? What more is there to be said?
Generally one is expected to give a reason or reasons for making such a strong utterance as "I HATE George Jr.!" There is always somebody ready to take up the cudgel in poor Junior's defense and yet another incendiary thread with 500 posts is born. You haven't been around here that long? This IS The Cellar, after all!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #33
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's like you and others are participating in a pissing match, trying to out-do the others with your reasoning and your ability to substantiate our point of view. Seems like, after a while, you'd find it a waste of time. unless, of course, it's just another way to toot your own horns and demonstrate your typing skills....
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Best Lileks moment ever
Quote:
Each side is guilty of this - in the 90s a substantial contingent of the right was convinced that Gov. Bill Clinton ran coke out of Mena. It's almost as if you have two options:

1. I disagree with my opponent's position on taxation, and therefore I shall oppose it.

2. I disagree with my opponent's position on taxation, and therefore I believe he has sex with goats.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #35
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's like you and others are participating in a pissing match, trying to out-do the others with your reasoning and your ability to substantiate our point of view. Seems like, after a while, you'd find it a waste of time. unless, of course, it's just another way to toot your own horns and demonstrate your typing skills....

Well, I'm pretty worthless at pissing matches. I leave those to the ones with the equipment to piss high and far. I always dissolve into puddles, myself. As for my typing skills, well Wolf keeps my ego pretty in line about those. My reasoning? I bet UT has a pithy comment about THAT!

Nah, to tell the truth, the debates around here are pretty clever for the most part, and keep me amused. They also keep me off the streets for which my neighbors are deeply grateful.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #36
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Mari--I always done knoe'd you was a hore.

Now--endevor to be a GOOD 'hore.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #37
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Mari--I always done knoe'd you was a hore.

Now--endevor to be a GOOD 'hore.

Yassm'm. I sho be tryin'!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #38
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
I disagree with my opponent's position on taxation, and therefore I believe he has sex with goats.
While in that position, lest we forget.

As for Mena, Arkansas, well, that Clinton pair are famed for incontinently moneygrubbing 24-7-366 on leap years and for doing the wrong thing whenever possible at any time. Such evidence as there is in the matter suggests the smoke has a fire under it, rather than that there's nothing there.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
As for my typing skills, well Wolf keeps my ego pretty in line about those.
Actually, if ZippyT ever makes mention of your ability to type, THEN you have truly been schooled.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #40
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
That's a load of hooey and you can't see it because you believe that gun restrictions, expansion of the federal death penalty, increased taxes, the DMCA, and attacking Bosnia, Somalia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Waco, TX were necessary courses of action and not at all restricting freedom.

As long as they separate church and state, I guess. Well except for Waco, I guess.
It looks like we're in trouble, then.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Charming satire.

Post something real next time.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #42
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Charming satire.

Post something real next time.
What? You don't believe the esteemed Mr. Watley?