The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #16
rkzenrage

I just don't see why people care.
I know about my history because of my family, but it makes no sense to me to "identify" with any of it.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your spelling is atrocious Wolf....That's B_U_F_F_O_O_N.

No, but we all came from the Northeast African tribe who's only direct decendants, are still living there. Short-ish, slim-ish, medium brown and a pleasant nature.

Boy, am I far remove from that line.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
very very interesting. I can't wait to hear Bruces results. I wonder if you will have any suprises?

although I know my grandfathers and grandmothers race being irish x2, american indian and English I think too there must be some african in there someplace if I were to venture to get one of those kits. I would not be suprised. I can't afford it so I'll just live through Bruces excitement.

( although I would love to from some old celtic land. I got hairy enough legs for it):p
It's not a geneology search, much more general than that.

I know the line, on my mothers side, back to about 1200AD England, for sure, and back to 700AD Denmark, by educated guess of professional researchers.
On Pop's side, I only know back to early 1800s Scotland.

This project goes back tens of thousands of years to see what side trips the line may have taken between Africa and the US. Most likely Kazakhstan was the first stop, from what I've seen.
Quote:
I just don't see why people care.
I know about my history because of my family, but it makes no sense to me to "identify" with any of it.
It's knowlege I find interesting.
The "purpose" of the project, according the the guy that started it, is to demonstrate how closely every human being is related. To show that people should "identify" with every other human. That separating people by race is a pointless exercise.

I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.....
Old 09-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, they finally posted my results.....lesee here.... I came from Ork in a giant egg back in the.....no wait, that ain't it.

The Y chromosome passes from father to son, basically unchanged, forever. It does, however, pick up scars (mutations) along the way. The scars are added and don't change what was there, just slapped on like travel stickers.

All non-African men in the world carry the M168 marker on their Y chromosome. That's right, ALL of us...they think.
So we all trace back to a guy in northeast Africa, possibly Ethiopia, Kenya or Tanzania, about 50,000 years ago.

When the European ice sheets started to melt, parts of the Sahara became warm and wet then green. Our guy, we'll call him Adam, followed the wildlife into these newly greened areas.

Adam's descendents had a trauma somewhere and picked up another scar, M89, before moving through the Middle East, about 45,000 years ago. They hung around awhile and picked up another scar, M9, to become the Eurasian clan.

About 40,000 years ago, the M9 gang left Iran and headed for Pamir Knot, located in present-day Tajikistan. That's where the Karakoram, Himalaya, Hindu Kush and Tian Shan, mountain ranges all meet. I imagine they got tired of climbing a damn mountain every time they wanted to go somewhere, so they moved north of the Hindu Kush to the plains of present-day Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and southern Siberia. Lots of good hunting there.

35,000 years ago a new scar, M45 central Asian clan, appeared and the clan with it, moved further north. Because the glaciers were advancing again, where they lived became too dry so they followed the game herds.

30,000 years ago, with a new scar, M207, the clan split with my half going north and west into Europe, while the other half turned south, away from the ice and cold, toward India.

My half of M207s picked up another scar, M173, and colonized Europe. During this colonization they picked up, M343. This group is the direct descendents of Cro-Magnon Man, the cave painters.

Then about 20,000 years ago the advancing ice sheets forced everyone to move south, M343, mostly to Spain and the other M173s mostly to Italy and the Balkans. They all moved back north when the ice sheets started to retreat about 12,000 years ago. They liked global warming.

How my forefathers got from 10,000BC Spain to 1800AD Scotland, is anybodies guess, but there was probably a lot of raping and pillaging involved.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I know the line, on my mothers side, back to about 1200AD England, for sure, and back to 700AD Denmark, by educated guess of professional researchers.
That's pretty impressive!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

An uncle looked up my father's side, and found that my early ancestors took up residence 200 years ago...

...either on or close to the land that would become Wolf's place of employment.

That is an incredible result, since I grew up 100 miles away.

I first moved to this area in 1985, about 3 miles from where these ancestors did. When my ex-wife and I were looking at houses in 1993, we looked at a house 3 blocks from that location. I currently live 5 miles away.

There's something about the place.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
That's pretty impressive!
I wouldn't have bothered, but the Family name association had a professional gather the info and put out a book on the decendents of one of the four brothers that came over to Boston in 1628ish.

Actually, between then and 1640, a whole raft of kinfolk came over to spots from Canada all the way down to the mid-Atlantic area. I suspect that's because they couldn't get along with their neighbors in England or the rest of the family.

So after they got the book together they decided to have the con-artist^^^^^^^^^genealogist, see how far back she could go.
I just realized I said Denmark in that post, that's wrong. It was Norway. Some ruffian came out of the hills, wooed and won the Kings daughter (you know how princesses go for bad boys) then became King in about 700AD.

He must have been a bad boy because his decendents had to move to Denmark, then France and by about 1200AD, to Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire.
It doesn't mean anything because not one of them left me a dime or a title.

On Pop's side, they belonged to the infamous, outlawed, McGregor clan and that wasn't finally repealed until 1775, so tracing them would be a dead end.
There again, they left me naught.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
An uncle looked up my father's side, and found that my early ancestors took up residence 200 years ago...

...either on or close to the land that would become Wolf's place of employment.

That is an incredible result, since I grew up 100 miles away.

I first moved to this area in 1985, about 3 miles from where these ancestors did. When my ex-wife and I were looking at houses in 1993, we looked at a house 3 blocks from that location. I currently live 5 miles away.

There's something about the place.
See, that's what happens. You marry them and they drag you away from your roots.