The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Comic Strips Worth Clipping

Do you read the comics in the newspaper? Or do you read them online? Do you ever find one that is just SO perfect and meaningful to your life that you are driven to clip it out and pin it to a bulletin board, tape it to your cubicle wall, stick it on the fridge?

I do. It's kind of a weird habit.

The ones that "spoke to me" used to be Cathy, then it was Baby Blues, FBOFW. I went through my Dilbert phase, my Bloom County phase, Far Side...now my current favorite is Zits. Oh, I also have a soft spot for Dinette Set.

[Side note/name dropping: I've actually shaken hands with the Zits cartoonist, Jim Borgman, back when he was just another political cartoonist at the Cincinnati Enquirer. Ha. Nice man.]

I really liked Sunday's. I generally do like Blondie. Dagwood reminds me of my dad.

THIS is my all-time favorite comic. I still get a grin on my face when I think about it.

I guess it hit my funnybone because at the time I actually knew this guy named Doug, and he could be quite charming but he was bipolar and when he was NOT charming he was definitely someone to beware of. Not because he was dangerous, particularly, just really weird and unpleasant. He filled the role of the "boyfriend's childhood friend that had been around in boyfriend's life forever, so couldn't be ditched even though he was a royal pain in the ass."

[Another side note. Years later, I met a female friend of my hubby's and - I have no idea how it came up - but I found out she had actually DATED this guy Doug. Very weird because hubby and my old BF weren't from the same circles at all. Small world.]

I am bringing this topic up tonight because I have just found the PERFECT comic -- the one that I saw and exclaimed OMG, that's ME!

So, my friends, this is the real Juniper.

Post yours!

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-26-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Removed hot links and nasty messages from them.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Every now and again I'll happen across something that is absolutely perfect, references something that's going on at work, and given where I work, such occurrances are few and far between, because except for my cow orkers webcomic, few comics are set in crisis centers.

Source is not consistent, however.

I really miss Doctor Fun. And Far Side. We still have the Crisis Center on Fire Going Down the River and Over the Falls one hanging up on a bulletin board.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

I dunno what I did wrong, but I'm sorry. Now most of my OP makes no sense. Can one of you mods delete it please?

Maybe I ought to be banned too.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just describe the cartoon for us, Juni.
The rest of it makes perfect sense.

I used to have cartoon strips up on my desk at work. Again, only when apt, but sometimes they say how you feel so succinctly. My favourites for motivation and consolation were pretty always Calvin & Hobbes. I'm a simple being in some ways
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Rhymes with Orange
Speed Bump
bunny
And the obligatory xkcd

...I miss Dr. Fun too.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Juniper
I know, right?

Careful, Pie. Apparently links aren't allowed here. Or maybe that's just for me.

Would someone tell me what other rules are just for me and nobody else has to follow?

Seriously. Nasty messages??!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Juni, if you search for posts here using the word hotlink, you'll see it's come up a number of times before. Impress, LJ and others have been advised not to hotlink.

The "nasty words" would have been from the site you linked to, not from Bruce. I'm sure he'll explain in more detail.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
glatt

Or link to it, but not as an image, just as a text link.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
glatt

I imagine the nasty messages were when the hosting site saw that the image was being hotlinked and substituted a different image in it's place. An image that contained some sort of nasty image.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Juniper
I know, right?

oh well. Guess I need to change the tagline beneath my name to "not the brightest bulb."
Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

let's put you somewhere between oopsie and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I opened this thread and there was a picture of an ugly guy sitting on a park bench, in pink short shorts , with a nasty message about hot linking.
Had to delete the links.