The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

RIP Tony Hart

I know this should probably go in the celebrity deaths thread...but Tony Hart was a living legend over here. Nobody over the age of 25 can possibly have navigated their childhood and not been touched (not literally) by Hart.

A brilliant children's presenter who gave most of us our earliest intoduction to the sheer breadth of available things to do that could come under the term 'art'. I watched his programmes avidly. They included little animation sequences featuring a plasticine man called Morph. Morph is a key figure in the 1970s/80 British childhood. Instantly recognisable.

Tony Hart was such a gentle man. He had vanished from our screens in recent years as his age crept up into the 80s. But he'll be remembered by my generation with fondness for many years.

The other thing that makes this so sad, is that it comes so shortly after the death of Postgate; the creator of a huge chunk of our most loved and important children's programmes. He also was an integral component of the 70s and 80s childhood (and earlier). His programmes still rerun and still sell wildly on dvd. Bagpuss and the Clangors, Ivor the Engine and Noggin the Nog.

So. Rest in Peace Tony Hart. You gave a lot to kids like me. And we thank you for it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Amen to that.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oops, just posted in the Celebrity Deaths thread. Reproduced here in all its glory (think The Gallery)

Quote:
Not really bummed out, but would like to mention the passing of Tony Hart - who provided hours of televisual pleasure across the years of my childhood.

I never had the ability to reproduce any of his projects, but because my Dad did (have the ability AND sometimes make the things when he had time) I associate Hart with benevolence and twinkly eyed humour.

We're losing men in their 80s at the moment. My Grandad is older than Postgate, Mortimer and Hart. I worry a little.
I gave my little nods to the other two mentioned in the same thread.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

there's no escaping Tony -the music from "The Gallery" follows me everywhere. I always wanted a picture in the gallery.

Jmmy Savile will be next to complete the trio

Tags
tv shows