The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Compulsions we have...

I was wondering about how anal I appear over certain things in my home and wondered if anyone else shares the same as me or has other interesting compulsions?

My towels. Towels must be folded a certain way. They must be folded in half lengthwise so that the right side is out, then folded once more in half, then starting on one side, folded in thirds so the border shows on the outside. then they need to be placed in the cabinet with the folded edges showing, not the loose edges.
The dishwasher. My plates, salad plates, cups and glasses all have a particular place. If I open the dishwasher to add a dirty something, I have to redo the dirty dishes if they are not in the right places.
Toothpaste. It must be closed after using. Hubby could care less, so to relieve the stress of constantly finding the cap open after his use...we have our OWN toothpaste dispensers.
Movies and books in shelves are alphabetized. (I was a librarian.)
Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I am with you on all four - also the dishes and utensils haver to be in their proper order otherwise I have to redo them all. My g/f tells me I am OC.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
rkzenrage

Does having your
Quote:
own
toothpaste stop you from buggin' over his open one?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Does having your [own] toothpaste stop you from buggin' over his open one?
Actually, it does. His toothpaste dispenser can get as dry and crusty as all-get-out and I don't care, because mine is just fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
rkzenrage

That is pretty good, very healthy. Good on ya'.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a freak...

Same on the dishwasher stacking and the towels

I hang the washing out using matching coloured pegs.

I have to clean a floor if its dirty!!!

I compulsively clean at friends houses (they love it!)

If I drink out of a can, I have to twist the little thingie at the top to the left, or I cant drink out of it.

Is my craziness showing much??
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Is my craziness showing much??
Not anymore than mine...
Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
jsouthworth
Recruit or Something

Ticks me off to sit on the crapper and there's only 2 sheets of TP on the roll, it never fails. I have at least a years supply of TP.

My bed has to be made a certain way, sheets and bedspread have to be even all the way around the bed and ends tucked in.

I hang my wash out too, all undies in one place, all socks together, etc. Makes it easier to fold and put away...DH says I'm crazy.
jsouthworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

If my son manages to put the banana peel in the garbage before bed I'm good. I just left it there. It's Turning brown. I'm waiting.

My place is 'picked up' looking. I don't get too bent about anything.
The only quirk I can think of is I don't like stepping in wetness in stocking feet. Barefeet is a good standby.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I sometimes have a compulsion to shoot some of the members here, but then I remember I'm a pacifist.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

When I used to play Trivial Pursuit:

Once I got two "pie" pieces, they had to be opposite. When I got the third, I removed one of the previous ones so I could space them one apart each. At four, I removed one so I could have two sets of two next to each other with one space between each set. I was SOL on 1 and 5.

I have a thing about symmetry. I kept my married name because I have four letters each in my first, middle, and last names (plus it's much easier to spell and pronounce than my maiden name.)
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I wish I had the tidy-compulsions....

One of mine has become defunct now, unless I'm shopping at a small independent store: I always remove price stickers. I would unpack my shopping onto the kitchen counter and remove each sticker as I put the item away. I didn't have a problem with the stickers, but it just felt right to take them off. I take promotional stickers off things as well (Buy One Get One Free or Nominated for the Booker Prize etc)

I also don't like the way chocolate bars have a flap sticking out at the top if you tear them down the centre to open. Taling about bars like Mars, Snickers etc, not chocolate that come in foil and paper. If I am at home or at work I have to get scissors and cut them open crosswise. I just won't enjoy it otherwise. Probably just as well I rarely eat chocolate.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

when it becomes an obsession, it might be something to worry about, otherwise, surely its just a quirk or trait?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

You guys need to lighten up. Have you ever seen "Sleeping With The Enemy"?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #15
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
The dishwasher. My plates, salad plates, cups and glasses all have a particular place. If I open the dishwasher to add a dirty something, I have to redo the dirty dishes if they are not in the right places.
I'm with you on that one. Everything's got it's place(s). My wife usually does the unload. You'd think she'd be familiar with where things go IN the dishwasher, but...

Kinda extends to the entire kitchen. Even if my wife is cooking (which she doesn't do very often) I find myself cleaning up the kitchen as she's cooking and finishing using things. (She'd prefer to clean up after dinner. We ot a kinda small kitchen and less counterspace.) Drives me crazy to have stuff on the counter. Unless I'm just about to use it.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote