The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #46
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234817/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

"The Strangeness"

Made by friends in college. VERY low budget. The "monster" was made to look like a giant vagina. lol

I used to work for them at the software company they founded.
Ironically, they won an Academy Award for their software.

I have a copy of the movie that they gave me.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #47
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"American Hustle" Smell that? Yeah, "American Hustle" smells. Bad.

Really bad.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Noah

The story line wasn't real biblical which I expected... actually hoped. The special effects were good, but that's to be expected in the age of CGI. At 2:18 run time, it was too long... way too long.

Doesn't sound that bad, you say... what's the problem, you ask?

Glad you asked, Russell Fucking Crowe! That cocksucker has never enunciated a word in his life. I couldn't understand one word he was saying for 2 hours and 18 minutes. OK, I don't hear well, but in a theater with good sound, and new hearing aids, I should be able to get some of it. MY partner in crime said she could get about half of his mumblings.

Now this is a dark, moody, sort of noir feeling movie and the conversations hardly light and bubbly. so some low talking is expected.
BUT, we were mumbling along when Crowe, in a wet cave with the same mood, has a conversation with Anthony Hopkins. Both speaking at the same level, in the same tone, but I could understand every fucking word from Hopkins.

Ok, Hopkins is classically trained, and an exceptional actor, but I could understand most of what the other actors were saying. No, it's Crowe, he sucks.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #49
glatt

I enjoyed Crowe in the Insider, but mostly I don't care for the guy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #50
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The story line wasn't real biblical which I expected... actually hoped.
Yeah, the pastor at our church told the congregation that it was "something interesting that can prompt useful discussions, but inaccurate on many points." I'm baffled how such a movie could get made--they were never going to get a large portion of the secular population to see it regardless, but then they alienate the majority of the religious population as well? There's a model for Christian pandering in filmmaking, and this ain't it. I don't know how much they spent on it, but I bet it loses a ton of money.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #51
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I find Crowe easy enough to watch, but, he's a low-talker.

And he mumbles, too, which compounds the low-talking.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...they were never going to get a large portion of the secular population to see it regardless, but then they alienate the majority of the religious population as well?
The seculars may want to tee Noah's allies, the things made of rocks.
The religious conservatives might see it, but only to be knowledgeable in their edification of the masses, not because they're addicted to popcorn.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #53
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

100 movies to miss:

Glengarry Glen Ross
Year of Living Dangerously
To Live And Die In L.A.
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak

Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The seculars may want to tee Noah's allies, the things made of rocks.
The religious conservatives might see it, but only to be knowledgeable in their edification of the masses, not because they're addicted to popcorn.
...tee Noah's allies... tee? WTF was I thinking? Obviously nothing.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #55
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
2. Titanic

Never watched it. Have no intention of ever watching. *shugs* I know the ending :p
Was recently aboard the Queen Mary... entertaining a Steampunk convention. Got buffet breakfast out of the deal. Included, mind you, on a ship of that vintage and style, drinking a big glass of ice water. Water. With ice in it. On an old liner.

Unsettling, really.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #56
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... what's the problem, you ask?

Glad you asked, Russell Fucking Crowe! That cocksucker has never enunciated a word in his life. . .
BUT, we were mumbling along when Crowe, in a wet cave with the same mood, has a conversation with Anthony Hopkins. Both speaking at the same level, in the same tone, but I could understand every fucking word from Hopkins.

Ok, Hopkins is classically trained, and an exceptional actor, but I could understand most of what the other actors were saying. No, it's Crowe, he sucks.
HIs diction was much better in Master & Commander.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #57
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Was recently aboard the Queen Mary... entertaining a Steampunk convention.
Please tell the story.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #58
Urbane Guerrilla

Not much to say; it was rather shortfused to begin with. Couple of very literary fans with some novels to their credit wanted to do a Cthulhu-related dramatic presentation for the brunch crowd and their regular cast couldn't make the gig that day, so these fellows cast around and found the wife and me to play robed and hooded acolytes. We started with a selection of well-filked Cthulhu cult hymns and a sing-along... let's just say Ein Feste Burg got really perverted. The drama involved a soap bubble machine as an invocation of Yog-Sothoth -- "I [devotee of Cthulhu] declare a schism!!" And those daisy-wand bubble wands to make more bubbles, one for each hooded acolyte -- a good thing, because the center-stage bubble machine failed to work. It don't go so good even when you've filled up its solution reservoir according to directions, if you stumble and spill most of it getting it up to the lectern ten seconds before you start the show.

I hung out stage left, plied my bubble wand, chanted cultishly, wagged my head like a Muppet a lot. When they got round to the "Ia! Ias!" of ritual import, I weighed in with "Ia! Ia! You betcha!" and got a laugh.

We were there a couple-three hours total, what with everything. Admired lots of steampunk outfits -- figure late Victorian and Edwardian, gone Jules Verne on a modest dose of acid -- but didn't put foot in the huckster room at all.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 04-22-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Another to miss:

Big Kahuna

Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #60
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Not much to say; it was rather shortfused to begin with. Couple of very literary fans with some novels to their credit wanted to do a Cthulhu-related dramatic presentation for the brunch crowd and their regular cast couldn't make the gig that day, so these fellows cast around and found the wife and me to play robed and hooded acolytes. We started with a selection of well-filked Cthulhu cult hymns and a sing-along... let's just say Ein Feste Burg got really perverted. The drama involved a soap bubble machine as an invocation of Yog-Sothoth -- "I [devotee of Cthulhu] declare a schism!!" And those daisy-wand bubble wands to make more bubbles, one for each hooded acolyte -- a good thing, because the center-stage bubble machine failed to work. It don't go so good even when you've filled up its solution reservoir according to directions, if you stumble and spill most of it getting it up to the lectern ten seconds before you start the show.

I hung out stage left, plied my bubble wand, chanted cultishly, wagged my head like a Muppet a lot. When they got round to the "Ia! Ias!" of ritual import, I weighed in with "Ia! Ia! You betcha!" and got a laugh.

We were there a couple-three hours total, what with everything. Admired lots of steampunk outfits -- figure late Victorian and Edwardian, gone Jules Verne on a modest dose of acid -- but didn't put foot in the huckster room at all.
Sounds like fun, but I wouldn't have been able to resist the hucksters...