The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Brett's Honey
whatever

Desperately Need PETA'S Advice..

It seems to me like PETA thinks they have the answers to not all - but most everything animal -related. So...please tell me the right thing to do!
To make a long story short - I live a ways outside of town, I love cats, we had one male cat when we moved out here - he's a member of the family. Then we took in my ex-husband's kitten when he had to move suddenly, so for the last year we've had two tom cats that we're very close to. Those two cats soon multiplied to 11 cats! (Females came around, reproduced, and various kittens and bigger cats too started appearing every couple of weeks. Yes, I've now had my two males neutered, but that isn't solving the problem. I was up to 11 cats, gave away 4, already we're back up to 8 cats. I just cannot have 20-30 cats!! The humane society says they're limit is 30, and they currently have 60, so they will not accept any more.
WHAT DO I DO??!! For the first time in my life, I now see why people in the country shoot cats. I have FIVE females hanging around outside now that will be re-producing! Do the math............
So.....Just what is the "PETA-THING" to do? I need the answer! Soon, And thank you. I appreciate the advice very very much. I'm feeling more and more over-whelmed every day.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Brett's Honey
whatever

And.....yes, I have paid to have two ads put into the paper giving away cats, and put up posters wherever I have been able to.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I believe that the PETA thing to do is to allow the cats to live a meaningful, fulfilling cat existence, unfettered by the artificial constraints of human ownership or so-called "domestication".

I'm sorry that I don't have a serious answer to this problem, BH.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
marichiko

Spay clinic. I'm not PETA, but that's my advice as a cat lover. Most communities have low cost spay and neuter clinics. Let your fingers do the walking. When new feline members show up to join the herd, have the phone number of the local animal rescue group handy. Practically every community of any size now has animal rescue groups where volunteers will foster strays until a home can be found for them. You have to drive into the nearest town for groceries at least now and then. Get a crate, round up the cats and avail yourself of the town's animal services.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Geez, don't call PETA, they are a bunch of nuts! So long as you aren't making coats out of the cats, they have no interest in getting involved.

The shelters now recommend that if you are an animal lover who is concerned about the feral cats in your neighborhood, the solution is to trap them and have them spayed or neutered. Then release them back where you found them. This actually DECREASES further breeding in a very large area. Many shelters will do this for a low cost if you tell them the purpose, or veterinary schools will do it for free. See, if all you do is keep removing cats from their viable range, more breeding will take place until the space is "saturated" again. So long as a colony of cats which can't reproduce are in possession of the territory, nature takes over and breeding females will not move in. Or if one shows up, she is unlikely to find a mate before you catch her and get her spayed.

San Francisco has found this to be an excellent solution to all the feral cats in the parks there. I also saw a program on Animal Planet about this becoming the new policy in many urban areas as the word spreads. The only problem is the lowlife people dumping cats in your neighborhood, in that case you might have to take other measures. If you have really severe weather, the cats will have to fend for themselves, but cats who can't find food won't breed either. And maybe you don't want to feed 20 cats, neutered or not, so you will have to force yourself to ignore all the pleading. I suggest that you Google or Clusty "feral cats" or similar topics and there might be some very good specific suggestions online. Good luck!

Last edited by Tonchi; 10-26-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Tonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think that the most recent news stories on PETA have indicated that their solution is to take charge of the animals stating they will house and feed them, and then kill them all and put them in a dumpster in a shopping center.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

As long as they use the money they saved to fund putting more nude or nearly nude attractive young women on public street corners carrying signs protesting against fur.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

MY brother lives in Norfolk, VA where PETA is. Periodically, they get to him, and he calls them on the phone at night and reads Leviticus to them (thou shalt eat... ). FM99 hosts a fishing tournament outside the water by their building every year...the annual PETA fishing tourney.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
mrnoodle
bent

Unless you want to catch a disease of some kind, you have to get rid of some. If you don't have the nerve, ask a farmer neighbor to do it for you. It's ugly business, but you are going to have a major health hazard on your hands in a few months.

Domestic cats have no place in the natural world. Humans created them, so we have to be the population control, as well. Before you take the last-resort option of killing them, however, you might find out if there's some kind of national cat rescue organization that's willing to come get them.

At some point, cats are going to have to die, though.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle

Domestic cats have no place in the natural world. Humans created them, so we have to be the population control, as well. Before you take the last-resort option of killing them, however, you might find out if there's some kind of national cat rescue organization that's willing to come get them.

At some point, cats are going to have to die, though.
Actually small cats do quite nicely in the natural world - back in the mid-East where they originally evolved to live. Even in other parts of the world, feral cats get by just like any other wild animal would. They do upset the natural balance when allowed to go wild in North America or Europe, though. Cats have had a very negative impact on the native bird populations in both these places, and farmers consider them a nuisance because they'll go after poultry.

The spay clinic and the animal rescue people will help to avoid the need of bringing in someone with a gun.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Only as a last resort, of course....

Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

a few drunken ideas for your reading pleasure:

1. set a coyote loose in your yard.

2. buy a flute, and march them out of the country like st patrick

3. nuke 'em

4. just kill one cat, but do it so brutally that all of the other cats will flee in terror. make sure you display the evidence of it's demise for future cats to see.

5. move and never return.

6. call the spca
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
... 3. nuke 'em...
The only problem with that is having to clean the microwave after each one.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

you can do 'em two or three at a time -- it's not like they have to be comfortable in there.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #15
feesh13
Romantic Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
As long as they use the money they saved to fund putting more nude or nearly nude attractive young women on public street corners carrying signs protesting against fur.
No, no they still do that too..at least here. We recently had on that chained herself to a pole on the corner in protest of the Barnum & Bailey Circus coming to town. She wasn't nude though, just topless with "lash marks" marks on her back and had her arm covering up her boobs as not to get arrested for indecent exposure. Imo though thats the half-assed way of doing it. If you believe in something you should go all the way.

As for the cats, try contacting pet overpopulation and see if they can help. They sent us a discounted thing to get our dogs nuetered.
feesh13 is offline   Reply With Quote