The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Does anyone like TV shopping?

Having trekked the old "big" (40") TV all the way down to Florida, ArcheoGirl has found the hdmi and component ports are not working.) She especially wants the component port for the old Wii that she enjoys playing. It seems to me that current TVs no longer have this, but you can buy adapters for this purpose for less than $25.

Beest always looked after all this sort of shit because he enjoyed it and am just not interested so easily overwhelmed by it all, but I want my girl to be happy and settled and he is no longer here so I would like some help. I know that was shit English.

1) am I correct about the adapters? This is what a quick initial search popped up for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UI3DQ0NB&psc=1

2) If you see/find any good deals for a reliable basic 40"ish (maybe even a tad bigger, but not ginormous) TV delivered or available locally in Tallahassee FL, or have any relevant recommendations please share.
She doesn't actually watch TV at all -just hooks up her computer to watch Netflix or Youtube, or plays Wii. I can't look locally for her because I'm back in MI, and she is super-busy getting to grips with her new student life. I see they're not super-expensive but I want to avoid a lemon, and if there is a good back-to-school or similar saving, I'd of course prefer to take it and she would feel better because she feels bad about how much her move has cost and I don't want her to.

TIA, darlinks, oh and please remember to use layperson's terms.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
2) If you see/find any good deals for a reliable basic 40"ish (maybe even a tad bigger, but not ginormous) TV delivered or available locally in Tallahassee FL, or have any relevant recommendations please share.
I'm not sure WalMart can be beaten. I think you can shop and pay online, and she can pick it up at the local (to her) WalMart. They may even deliver.

That's not a lot of help, I know. But it's all I got.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Is there a factory settings reset button/menu option on the old TV that she could try? She may need to disconnect everything from the TV before doing that.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The price of TVs has been dropping wildly in recent times. At this moment Amazon Prime offers up a 43" Toshiba for $199 and free delivery.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm as disinterested and easily overwhelmed by technology as you are, but I can at least offer this general side note: pawn shops always have older TVs in stock, presumably with the older inputs she may be looking for. Just pick one in a not-completely-ghetto neighborhood, and the staff there should be able to help with making sure she's got the right one for her needs.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Is there a factory settings reset button/menu option on the old TV that she could try? She may need to disconnect everything from the TV before doing that.
dunno will ask, thanks may be too old for that? Is not a smart tv I think
Old 08-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The price of TVs has been dropping wildly in recent times. At this moment Amazon Prime offers up a 43" Toshiba for $199 and free delivery.
Right, just don't know how to pick a good one :/
Old 08-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
sexobon

It's the old TVs that may have it. New TVs diagnose and repair themselves.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

At the minimum, get a 4K TV, at any size display. Must have 4k.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips. Maybe JVC. Some say Vizio, but I dunno.

I have a mostly uninformed belief that you really can't go wrong by just getting the biggest Samsung that you can afford. Just remember that you have to eventually move it too.

Modern TVs have streaming options built right in, if she is a Netflixer or Youtuber, or you can buy a Chromecast and cast anything from the Internet to the TV.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
sexobon

But you don't have to get her a another tv, you can get her a tw and have the old tv working about the time she graduates.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm as disinterested and easily overwhelmed by technology as you are, but I can at least offer this general side note: pawn shops always have older TVs in stock, presumably with the older inputs she may be looking for. Just pick one in a not-completely-ghetto neighborhood, and the staff there should be able to help with making sure she's got the right one for her needs.
thanks. We mooted the idea of 2nd hand for this reason, but it would be better for the future if we can make it work with current technology And I know she wouldn't be comfortable going into a pawn shop yet -still figuring out when not to go. Fortunately she has a few locals for advise on that.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 PM   #12
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
It's the old TVs that may have it. New TVs diagnose and repair themselves.
I told her and she said she found some sort of sequence that involved the power button to do this, but it didn't work.

thanks
Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #13
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
At the minimum, get a 4K TV, at any size display. Must have 4k.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips. Maybe JVC. Some say Vizio, but I dunno.

I have a mostly uninformed belief that you really can't go wrong by just getting the biggest Samsung that you can afford. Just remember that you have to eventually move it too.

Modern TVs have streaming options built right in, if she is a Netflixer or Youtuber, or you can buy a Chromecast and cast anything from the Internet to the TV.
thanks. she really doesn't want huge. Vizio is what the current one is, I think.... It's over 15 years old and was working about 18 months ago -at least the hdmi was. Yes, we neglected to check it was working before we chucked it in the truck, although they did pad it like it was a newborn baby
Old 08-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Vizio has a website of manuals for older sets.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2019, 01:11 AM   #15
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
… she said she found some sort of sequence that involved the power button to do this, but it didn't work.
It was worth a try. The sequence is listed here. There are other troubleshooting possibilities like the port may have bent pins, HDMI connecting cables can go bad, drivers might need to be updated ...etc. At 15+ years old, soon after you fix one thing, another thing might go wrong with it. A new TV may be in order so that it's not a distracting aggravation.

The Toshiba UT linked to has decent reviews and is a good value especially if mostly for gaming.

The latest, greatest, budget TV is a bit more expensive; but, reviewers say it's worth it for a significant step up in image quality:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Dol...ateway&sr=8-10

This is the new darling, a new model closely related to others that have been holding best in price class.

A typical review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/t...ies-comparison