The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 05:59 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

No one talks about fight club!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #17
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Seriously, how many of these people actually do the research and look up the symbol they go in and get?
Most everyone that I know (that has tats) put a lot of skull sweat in before they got their work done. Of course, my friends are strange folks and tend not to make major life-altering decisions on a whim. Mostly.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:28 AM   #18
Gomez da Killah
i'd rather be sleeping

its a pity when anyone is improsoned for expressing themselves peacefully without harm to others. i think the artwork is great, but the tatoos themselves need some work.
possibly, the reason why the artwork looks Japanese is due to the fact that during feudal times, Japan made many raids on the Korean peoples. during these raids many of the Korean artisans were captured and sent back to japan and their art went with them. as a matter of fact, many of the aesthetic traditions that are commonly thought of as Japanese like bonsai and stylized prints, actually originated in Korea.
Gomez da Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #19
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

...snip...nded on them.

It amuses me to think that were I a tattoo artist, I could put up some flashy Asian glyph which basicly means "I'm a fucking moron" in the window, and people would come in and have it done just because it looked neat....snip...

Quzah.
Happened in my neighborhood with the car guys. There is the whole fad of glyphs on cars. One guy had a "cool" glyph put on his car. From what I heard, it said "Sucker is willing to overpay". He got great service (and high prices) at every autoparts place he went to, until someone told him what it said
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM   #20
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Its a wonderful visual data base \
I certainly hope that's a temporary tattoo on the kid on the second page. He can't be more than five or so. I'd turn that mother in for abusing her kid.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:44 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Stupid rules by some standards, but rules none the less.
Well, duh. That's what I said. Just because the rules are stupid doesn't undermine the legality. But it does undermine the morality.
Quote:
But back on topic...
Which IS, tattoos and their legal/social ramifications in South Korea.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 07-02-2003 at 10:49 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:04 AM   #22
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Let it all out, Quzah.

You know, you and me really oughta start a fight club.
So which one of us is the figment of the other's imagination?

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:07 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're both figments.:p

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:08 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:52 AM   #24
gaemon
Frustrated

Quote:
its a pity when anyone is improsoned for expressing themselves peacefully without harm to others.
As I wrote before, they are not imprisoned because of the tattoo. They tried to skip the army recruit, abusing the tattoo rule made long ago (presumably in 60s). Actually the rule existed to keep out gangsters from army, because they do exactly that kind of tattoo. And they still do. The rule itself is quite dumb, but they had no choice because you can't prohibit a person servicing his country just because he is supposed to be a gangster.

Doing tattoo is not illegal in Korea. What do you guys think we are? A bunch of dumb fascists? (thou there are still a lot of them )

Ranting about the tattoos being Japanese kind is just about my own personal taste. Acutally I'm a Japanimation fan, but such tattoo really irks me. Come on... that's not a pretty sight. is it?

By the way, according to a late night news, the most popular tattoo pattern among young Korean chicks is butterfly these days, here in Korea.

Last edited by gaemon; 07-04-2003 at 04:55 AM.
gaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:18 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
they are not imprisoned because of the tattoo. They tried to skip the army recruit,
Thats not true. If they had been called for military service and found unfit because of the tattoos then sent to jail as alternative service, I'd buy your statement. The linked article said nation wide roundup of tattooees arrested and jailed just because they were tattooed. Assuming they were trying to avoid the army is the same as assuming they are gangsters.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
You're both figments.:p
Actually tatoos are pigments of your imagination.

And your photo looks very photoshopped.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:28 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
pigments of your imagination
ha,ha,ha that's a good one.
Quote:
And your photo looks very photoshopped.
My god, I hope so.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #28
gaemon
Frustrated

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Thats not true... The linked article said nation wide roundup of tattooees arrested and jailed just because they were tattooed.
Well I'm not sure about the credibility of Strait Times (intl. section)... But nobody around me got arrested only because of tattoo. If you didn't notice, I live in Korea.

Also, civil rights movements are very strong in here, so if anybody was arrested for tattoo it wouldn't pass by without raging a lot of people. heck, some people are fighting for smokers' right nowadays. (not that I oppose)

Quote:
Assuming they were trying to avoid the army is the same as assuming they are gangsters.
i) normal citizen doing gangster tattoo is very dangerous, i.e. gangsters wouldn't like it. kinda spoils gang's reason to do the tattoo, isn't it? ii) most gangsters are on police list, and they are not on it, iii) they did the tattoo only days before they submitted re-evaluation of their recuit status, iv) they confessed that they planned to remove it after skipping the army.

amazing laser surgeries, eh?
gaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
) normal citizen doing gangster tattoo is very dangerous, i.e. gangsters wouldn't like it. kinda spoils gang's reason to do the tattoo, isn't it? ii) most gangsters are on police list, and they are not on it, iii) they did the tattoo only days before they submitted re-evaluation of their recuit status, iv) they confessed that they planned to remove it after skipping the army.
If what you say is true, then the article was very misleading. Thanks for shedding light on this.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:49 AM   #30
ak4004
Person Who Has Posted

By accurate report made by Los Angeles Times & New York Times that 75% of Yakuza are 2nd. and 3rd. generation Koreans that were born in Japan. Also very deep ties with Korean organized clans in Korea. Tattoos have means and identities.
ak4004 is offline   Reply With Quote