Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #16
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I really don't like shopping for books online. (yes I know you get more than books from amazon) I really loved the big Borders in the city here, but I guess they're closing their doors now, and I think that's a shame. I just get such a calm pleasure out of browsing through book stores. Pretty much any one, but there are some real corkers out there. There's this book shop a few streets away from the main shopping district in the city, and it's full of rare and awesome second hand books. Some are cheap, others are locked behind glass. Before Max came along, we used to go there sometimes as a family and spend hours just looking at the books and picking out a few to take home.

Online shopping is not something a family can do together, and it's just not the same anyway.

eta: I don't know if amazon or walmart are evil. Certainly they both serve a need in our current lifestyle, and it'll be a long time yet before consumerism changes enough to get rid of either.
Ali, if you are anywhere near Nambour, they have what claims to be Australia's biggest second-hand book store. (And Nambour being what it is, most of the books arrive completely unread, but with grease stains from being used as axle-stands, but I digress).

Don't smoke in there, though, they'll hang you up by the toenails and pummel you with an organic carrot. So the sign says.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #17
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
... they'll hang you up by the toenails and pummel you with an organic carrot...
Sounds like fun !
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Bookstores, like libraries, have a certain decorum, an atmosphere...like Ali said, peaceful.

Libraries, like bookstores, have had to sell out to the lowest common denominators (though I love that public libraries SERVE the public, the internet has attracted a lot of snivelling teenagers playing shooting games and shouting to each other, and some heavy breathing circus folks trying to sneak pron) in too many cases.

As our real bookstores (and libraries) go the way of the Dinah Sore (and I don't know of a mom and pop bookstore to survive in YEARS) so goes part of a semblance of class and an unspoken camaraderie among like-minded individuals.

Noticed this weekend: went to Wally World to my bank branch. There was some completely gone on some kind of drug woman jumping around the bank and hollerin' and exchanging money. On to the library, watched another woman completely gone on some kind of drug trying to get a library card (without any ID) so she could access the computers.

My guess is that 85% of the top library goers in my town did not bother to vote for the library levy in order for our library to keep providing the services they do. That levy failed, of course.

I don't really have a point, I just miss a part of the pre-internet society.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

At least you can get some things through Amazon that aren't made in China.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

You can't actually smell the other Amazon patrons.