The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Agent-G
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker

July 23, 2009 [B]: Biography of Robert Goddard

I found this story to be really interesting, and hope some of you do to.

Robert Goddard was the inventor of the modern rocket. In 1899 he was 17 and climbed up a cherry tree to prune it. While up there he thought about how wonderful it would be to create a device which could go to Mars. When he decended the tree, he knew it was his goal to do just that.

Robert Goddard also created rocket research and developed the mathematical theories of rocket propulsion.

Quote:
In 1920, the Smithsonian published his original paper, "A Method for Reaching Extreme Altitudes," in which he included a small section stressing that rockets could be used to send payloads to the Moon exploding a load of flash powder there to mark its arrival. The bulk of his scientific report to the Smithsonian was a dry explanation of how he used the $5000 grant in his research. Yet, the press picked up Goddard's scientific proposal about a rocket flight to the moon and erected a journalistic controversy concerning the feasibility of such a thing. Much ridicule came Goddard's way. And he reached firm convictions about the virtues of the press corps which he held for the rest of his life.

He responded to a reporter's question by stating, "Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace."
Quote:
Goddard died on Aug. 10, 1945, holding 214 patents in rocketry but having received little attention for his propulsion research. When American rocket scientists began to earnestly prepare for space exploration, they discovered it was almost impossible to build a rocket or launch a satellite without acknowledging the work of Goddard.

Now known as the father of modern rocketry, Goddard's significant achievements in rocket propulsion have contributed immensely to the scientific exploration of space. Goddard didn't live to see the age of space flight, but his foundation of rocket research became the fundamental principles of rocket propulsion.

A day after Apollo 11 set off for the Moon, in July of 1969, the New York Times printed a correction to its 1920 editorial section, stating that "it is now definitely established that a rocket can function in a vacuum as well as in an atmosphere. The Times regrets the error."

NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., a major space science laboratory, was named in his honor.
link: http://space.about.com/od/biographie...ertgoddard.htm
Agent-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Like most great thinkers, the press ridiculed him. Some things never change.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

"Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down.
That's not my department. says Werner Von Braun."

Cookies to anyone familiar with that. :-)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Not only am I familiar with it, my children can sing it too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Question

Has anyone every figured out what the little dohickey is for on top of the wire frame? It looks like it was built upside down.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
WillieO
perfesionul spel cheker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Not only am I familiar with it, my children can sing it too.
I hope we are not making light of the fact that the Nazi war machine used slave labor from the Dora concentration camp to work in the nearby Mittlewerk factory where Von Braun supervised the rocket's construction. Records show as many as 20,000 slaves were murdered to eliminate any oral historical record of this new technology and the Nazi cruelties. Doesn't make him a war criminal?
WillieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieO View Post
I hope we are not making light of the fact that the Nazi war machine used slave labor from the Dora concentration camp to work in the nearby Mittlewerk factory where Von Braun supervised the rocket's construction. Records show as many as 20,000 slaves were murdered to eliminate any oral historical record of this new technology and the Nazi cruelties. Doesn't make him a war criminal?
No. We are making fun of a song written by Tom Lehrer who is making fun of Werner Von Braun.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieO View Post

No, he told Merka the secrets and helped us out. Therefore he is not a war criminal, 'cause you know, we never do anything wrong...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
lupin..the..3rd
Belt Conveyor

I installed some scientific equipment at the Goddard Space Flight Center in MD about 10 years ago, for work. Interesting facility for sure. Now I know how it got its name.
lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote