The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
staceyv
Lecturer

Why do we hate the french again?

Seriously! I remember banning evian water and people saying "freedon fries" when France didn't want to help us go to war against Iraq, but is that the only reason??
I mean, what does that have to do with all of France's citizens?
I hope people aren't judging all of US based on Bush.
Maybe there's more to it. Could someone fill me in?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

the french have a long history of sucking ass. the idea that they have only recently started to dislike us is a myth. the frogs were pissed at allied troops even as they were being liberated.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Because they are French.

(I think the whole Freedom Fries thing is laughable (Fries are as Belgian or so a friend told me in high school), but I have never expressed a fondness for things French ... brie, escargot, mimes, Gerard Depardieu ... all French, all not worth my time. The only thing I come close to liking is crepes, and well ... overly thin pancakes drizzled in orange flavored booze? I'd rather have ice cream.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
lookout123

i always thought the french were our pals until i did some work with their military and spent some time in their embassy. *ahem* fuck the frogs.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

Ira Einhorn.

But I do love a nice baked brie...
Old 07-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
lookout123

i dig chicks named Bri - does that count?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The French live to be contrary. They LOVE contrariness--but only in themselves. They also pour sauce over everything and pronounce it delicious. I do like French bread, though.

Aw--Lookout! you made my day!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's the difference.
french ~ Baked Brie ~ tasty but weak.
American ~ Baked Beans ~ firepower galore.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #9
marichiko

Don't you remember? They set off that bomb over here.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

We hate them because they feel as strongly about France as we do about the good ole USA.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
lookout123

or maybe it is because they won't admit their power to do anything but talk belligerently ended some time ago.

america isn't quite yet there, but give us some time. a couple real international powerhouses will rise only to push us down the ladder of relevancy.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Basically because they can be as arrogant, nationalistic, and self-centered as we are, without the military and economic arsenal to back it up.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
Guyute
Gamehenge

Maybe because they have a knack for having someone pulling their irons out of the fire after being steamrolled, then acting like they would have done it anyway if they had a bit more time (De Gaulle was a puke like this), and then being to proud to admit that they were fucked if the good guys didn't help.

You know why French army rifles are such a great deal at surplus sales- they have never been fired and only dropped once!!

Hitler's troops embarrassed them so badly I am surprised they even had the termerity to call DeGaulle a *cough*General.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

For me it's not so much the French I dislike, but Parisians. Because the Parisians shower infrequently, the women have hairy armpits, they have a history of surrendering their country and being ingrateful when their bacon is saved by the United States, they are arrogant and rude pricks who think their shit doesn't stink (though there's a lot of that in the Red States of America), they want our tourist dollars but treat us like we're a nuisance, etc.

That being said, they often have to deal with ignorant and "ugly" Americans who don't learn any French language or culture and who go to France and expect everyone else to accomodate them and adjust to American culture. They, like most of the rest of the world, see America like a baby holding a .44 magnum. America is a much newer country, doesn't respect the sovereignty of traditions of other nations, tries to bully every other nation on earth by pointing that big gun at them, etc.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Maybe because they have a knack for having someone pulling their irons out of the fire after being steamrolled, then acting like they would have done it anyway if they had a bit more time (De Gaulle was a puke like this), and then being to proud to admit that they were fucked if the good guys didn't help.

You know why French army rifles are such a great deal at surplus sales- they have never been fired and only dropped once!!

Hitler's troops embarrassed them so badly I am surprised they even had the termerity to call DeGaulle a *cough*General.

ENOUGH, ALREADY!

The ugy American is definately alive and well! Look here, I have traveled in Europe and endured some bizarre behavior on the part of SOME French people. But then again, when I was in grad school, my best friend was a woman from France. She was a trip! Very witty and warm and interested in American culture.

When It comes to WWII, where were WE when Rommel did his surprise maneuver around the Maginot line? Asleep, waiting for Pearl Harbour. Where were the Brits? Running like hell for Dunkirk, that's where.

People ignorant of European history (that means 99.9999999% of all Americans) find it easy to make arrogant assumptions. First of all, WWI was fought on French soil. Any of you genius's ever read All Quiet on the Western Front ? No? I didn't think so. Run down to your public library and get a copy. I'll wait.

(*TAPS FOOT IMPATIENTLY*)

OK, WWI was one of the most awful wars in modern history. Thousands gave their lives for an inch of territory either way. It was brutal, trench warfare. It was stupid, horrible, and pointless.

"In Flanders fields the poppies grow..."

Nah, none of you people have read Rupert Brooke, either. Never mind.

The French people were so horrified and outraged by the deaths and suffering of trench warfare in WWI, that there was zero popular support for building up an agressive military in the 20's and 30's. The French just wanted to be left alone, thank you. Their posture was DEFENSE, hence the Maginot line which actually was pretty clever - they just didn't extend it all the way to the Adrienne. Now everybody today knows the words blitzkrieg and the name Rommel, but this man and that technique were a stunning developments back in 1940. If you folks don't think Patton or McArthur or Eisenhour would have been put on the retreat by a surprise attack of panzer divisions over the Canadian border, led by no less a general than Rommel, himself, think again.

As far as Charles de Gaule, he was wounded twice at the beginning of WWI and promoted to captain in 1915. He was ultimately captured by the Germans at Verdun and made 5 escape attempts from the German prison camps.
After the armistice, de Gaulle was assigned to a Polish division being formed in France. He fought against the Red Army during the civil war and won Poland's highest military decoration, Virtuti Militari.

De Gaulle's military ideas appeared in his book, The Army of the Future (1934). In the book he criticized the rigid theories of war that was exemplified by the Marginot Line. The book was unpopular with the politicians and the military who who refused to strengthen France's peace-time military force between the wars.

On the outbreak of the WWII, at Caumont, De Gaulle became the only French commanding officer to force the Germans to retreat during the German invasion of France.

So, you wouldn't call De Gaulle, a general, eh? Just what branch of the military do you serve in, anyhow, chief?

Last edited by marichiko; 07-23-2005 at 11:31 PM.