Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty
My college has a gym, so I could use it for free, but that wouldn't have a trainer.
A private trainer will meet you wherever you want to meet. They don't have to work for the gym. A friend of mine quit his crappy job (he was also my coworker back then, ha ha) to follow his dream to be a personal trainer. He is a totally laid-back guy, not intimidating at all. Plus, he gets the best gossip stories from his clients, just like a hairdresser.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
Tiki

I hated having a trainer, ugh

and then she was really hard to convince I'd fired her. She kept on calling, and calling, and calling...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Apollo
i need friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
and then she was really hard to convince I'd fired her. She kept on calling, and calling, and calling...
I had a Spanish tutor who was like that. She showed up like 3 or 4 times after I broke off the sessions.

Awkward
Old 04-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Tiki

Geez, it's like having a stalker ex!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post

Hmm.

You may be right. But from a logician's standpoint, how does one distinguish between the two statements

if A is true, then you should do B

and

if A is true, then B is true

My statement is an example of the former; yours is an example of the latter.
Pretty easy to bypass. Just read your sentence as "If A is true, B is true" where A = doing X feels good and B = you should do X.

You do, however, touch on what is called the problem of normativity. There is a quantum leap from having a reason to think a proposition is true, to adopting a course of action. Of course, one could adopt a principle like "If I believe that I should do X, then I should do X", but this is itself a belief and so is subject to the same quantum gap from belief to action, and so it faces the same problem over again. There is nothing in logic (that I know of) that can overcome this need for a kick-up-the-bum, get-your-arse-into-gear, get-up-and-do-it impetus. Probably because philosophers aren't very good at turning good ideas into action.

Shit, what kind of nerds get into a thread about personal trainers and discuss logic?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

and in white text at that
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, just whispering so as not to confuse the muscle-heads. They're counting their reps.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There are some real wackos out there reading craigslist.

Bad idea.

Buy a dog. Run with him. He'll love it, and unless you pick something like an Australian Cattle Dog or one of the hounds, he won't stalk you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #24
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Or, see if there is a dog exercising service in your area that needs someone to walk/run dogs. You might even get paid for exercising.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
There are some real wackos out there reading craigslist.

Bad idea.

Buy a dog. Run with him. He'll love it, and unless you pick something like an Australian Cattle Dog or one of the hounds, he won't stalk you.
His name is Buddy, he's a black lab. He can't be my gym buddy, which is what I need to do today. No outside exercised possible, the county is under a fire-watch and the smoke from the fires fills the air. Kinda scary actually. Also, he can't call me on my cell phone and tell me he wants to exercise. I don't feel guilty about not taking him on a walk, he takes himself, and he has two acres of "yard" to run around in. So dog I have, and about once a week or so I'm able to take him, but I'm really wimpy about the weather, so unless I have a person encouraging me, I just won't.
When my sis was able to be my exercise partner, I did great until she got too busy and her schedule was just too whack. Now she lives way too far away. I had my own apartment gym, but other than safety reasons, I just don't like going on my own.

I might look into Zen's idea. I only work part-time at my current job, I don't need a second job, but it means I have extra time. If its a responsibility I would have to fulfill that obligation. Hm, might still be boring though I guess that doesn't matter so much. Being fat is boring too.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

One of the big issues with small towns? Not much in the way of options.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
When you join most gyms they give you a week or two with a personal trainer. Use it. That gives you a person to encourage you, someone who knows what you should be doing, gets you over the alone in a gym issues, and to top it off they probably aren't an axe murderer during their working hours.
What gyms are those? I've worked in four gyms over the years, and the only one that did that was a gym for women only. None of the coed gyms did that. They would have someone initially take you around and show you how to use the equipment, but that's it.

Also, personal trainers are expensive. Generally they do not work FOR the gym - they are independent contractors. It is possible sometimes to get a deal with a trainer, like a beginners special or something, but not all trainers will give you deals. If you have the money and you can afford one, it is good investment though, especially if you don't know what you're doing.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
If your college has a gym don't they have an atheletic department? Maybe you could ask there for some assistance.
That's what I'm thinking. Surely there is someone there who would be willing to help train people at school. And it would be a helluva lot cheaper than hiring a personal trainer in a gym. My sister worked in the gym when she was in college studying sports medicine. If they have students in there working, they could probably help get started.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
What gyms are those?
The gym I go to (not a woman's gym) gives you 3 trainer sessions (plus a personal yoga instruction, spa treatment etc..) when you join, they have tons of trainers who work there - and if they're not training someone at the time they're happy to help you learn a machine or answer questions.

My trainer was working out at the same time I was yesterday and ended up working with me on pull ups and dips just for the hell of it.

They also have drawings for free training sessions and other ways you can win or earn them, although not very often.
Normally, it's $60/hr or $35 half/hr - or its cheaper if you get 2 friends to join you as a group.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Years ago when a friend and I joined the Y, a guy I knew (Conan the Librarian: he's Mr Fit and also worked at the library) who was a trainer there gave us a run-through on everything and the proper ways to use it. Then, just having my friend to go with was a huge motivator.