The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Maybe that's where we went off the evolutionary track--we became a polite society first, where men didn't break cues over each other's heads...
Not in my world, I've been seriously threatened with physical violence and weapons... and have threatened.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #62
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
What in the way of sexual misconduct are women laughing along with the horrific woman about; because, they don't know what else to do and they want whoever they're talking to to like them in the moment?
I've never been in a situation where another woman did the equivalent of telling a rape joke, or otherwise discounting consent -

I think the closest equivalent I can recall is: being in a situation where a co-worker/sometime friend talked about guys she had dated or was interested in, in a worryingly mechanistic way. She used men for what she could get out of them, and knew exactly how desirable she was. I recall being a little uncomfortable but she was older than me. I'd never have felt comfortable saying anything.*

* I have witnessed raucous women on a hen night being way too handsy with bar staff and waiters. I wasn't myself part of any of those groups so I wasn't in the position of having to laugh along.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #63
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Thank you for your candor.

There's plenty of women who engage in sexual misconduct like having sex with a man to get a job, promotion, living beyond their means. Plenty of them brag about it, like how they have that person wrapped around their little finger.

I haven't seen where it's any more likely that "good" women will get involved in deterring bad sexual behavior by other women anymore than "good" men will with other men.

It's all sexual misconduct. It's just more likely to be nonconsensual when men engage in sexual misconduct and consensual when women do it. It seems that when a discussion on sexual misconduct comes up, women mostly think in terms of nonconsensual behavior or harassment. The consensual sexual misconduct, like women leading men on to take advantage of them, seems to fall by the wayside for "good" women; unless, it's the "good" woman's man that's being led on by another woman.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #64
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Statistically, no. The closest analogy would be an adult woman making lewd comments about an underage male--perhaps a high school student being preyed on by his teacher, for example--but that shit just doesn't happen, because other women would immediately freak out at any woman who said that, and likely put in a tip to the cops ...

Well now, I remember a male boss of mine telling me that when he was a teenager on a summer job at a chicken processing plant where all the factory employees were women, he got heckled, cat-called, harassed, felt threatened by the floor manager, and all the women were just cheering her on. He told me this in the context of harassment training we were undergoing, but I can certainly believe it to be true, and not to be an isolated incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Usually men have the power, which is the only reason men exercise it more frequently.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #66
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
* I have witnessed raucous women on a hen night being way too handsy with bar staff and waiters.
Former waiter at the bar/restaurant had a table full of 40-50ish yo fairly attractive ladies (cougars). The five of them ordered one of the bar specialties, the Cougar Tea. My boy brought out the drinks and said to them "Five Cougar Teas, I hope the irony here isn't lost on you ladies tonight.", with a big smile as he sat the drinks on the table.

He told me "The entire rest of the night was rewr." and made a pawing/clawing motion w/his hands. They were all over the guy. He said later on, "Y'know, that might could have been the best night of my life".

Ya had to see the presentation and know the guy to get just how funny that story actually is.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #67
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Usually men have the power, which is the only reason men exercise it more frequently.
I think that nails it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #68
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

#MeToo is now officially over. Sorry ladies.

Aziz Ansari is accused of sexual assault by a woman. A woman who got naked with him, gave him oral twice and allowed him to give her oral once, decided she didn't want to have actual sex and so it became awkward and she left.

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

It was a bad, aggressive date with a woman who at first appeared to be into things and then had second thoughts. Now Ansari's career will be affected if not ruined -- or the entire movement will experience its backlash. Which one?

This is exactly what should not happen - awkward advances and misreading of "non-verbal cues" must not turn into assault after the fact when you decide it was a bad time when the guy couldn't read your goddamn mind.

(Also, sucking a guy's dick is a huge "non-verbal cue". If you say no, no, no, ok I'll suck your dick, you should assume that the previous no's are wiped out by proxy.)

This story discredits the entire movement. The ending should have been, sorry you had a bad time. Sex is like that. Human relationships are like that. It's awkward and there are weird pressures and feelings around it. But if no stayed no, you weren't assaulted and you really must STFU for the sake of all the women who actually were.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #69
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
#MeToo is now officially over. Sorry ladies.

This story discredits the entire movement.

--edited for clarity
This is 100 percent bullshit.

UT, you're capable of much better thinking and argumentation. This reads like it was scraped from woman-hating comment thread. I am shocked you put your name to it.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I concede overreaction/overstatement. If the story gets more play it will start discrediting it going forward.

If people just say meh this happens, fine. If Ansari has no more career, serious implications.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #71
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Aziz Ansari's career swirling the bowl would not impact--well, anybody but him. Dude's not all that humorous.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #72
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I tried, and cannot imagine the woman that would suck his dick.

She was prolly sucking his wallet, and found out it didn't go all way down to the turtles.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #73
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I wonder when the movement will try to take down God for abuse of power after what he did to that poor virgin, Mary. We'll have to wait and see how many other women come forward to say that God did something similar to them. Maybe we'll find that theists have been paying out hush money. It'll be interesting to see if any Churches fire God.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
This is 100 percent bullshit.

UT, you're capable of much better thinking and argumentation. This reads like it was scraped from woman-hating comment thread. I am shocked you put your name to it.
Quote:
“I was debating if this was an awkward sexual experience or sexual assault. And that’s why I confronted so many of my friends and listened to what they had to say, because I wanted validation that it was actually bad.”
It didn't go the way it had played out in her head ahead of time, but needed her friends to validate it's was his fault and she'd been assaulted. She's hardly the first to cry rape after making bad decisions and regretting it.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #75
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Cite.

Show me where the woman say she was assaulted.