The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #6451
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
'Customers'. Give me fucking strength. I don;t object to tax as a general rule, though I reserve the right to gripe at the details - but calling us customers is ludicrous.
We haven't given them our custom, nor can we take our custom elsewhere.
Helping customers pay the right amount of tax on time

Unbelievable, isn't it?

John Humphrys takes exception to the term.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #6452
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Another day, another irritation. Like London buses, you wait ages for one then two arrive at once.

Poor old Dad's balance, mobility and reaction times are very poor these days.
Yesterday he slipped in the bathroom and grabbed hold of the towel rail.
Dad was OK but the same can't be said for the towel rail.

Yesterday afternoon I went into town and bought a much sturdier replacement to install this morning. Tools required included a 6mm drill.
I have just never got the hang of the metric system. There I've admitted it.
I used both Imperial and Metric at school and accept that calculations are far easier in metric but that's not the point.
I can look in a box of drill bits and nine times out of ten will manage to correctly pick out a quarter inch drill and not a 5/16ths one.
Can I do the same when it comes to looking for a 6mm drill?
Not a damned chance!

Er, that's it really. Rant mode to standby.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #6453
monster
I hear them call the tide

tell you what I'll mail you all the stupid imperial ones they use over here and you post me the nice metric ones and we'll both be happy
Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #6454
glatt

I volunteer making houses more functional for elderly homeowners to live in them. Age in place. We fix up one house each spring. Anyway, one of the things we do is put tons of grab bars in the bathrooms. There is a towel rack you can buy that is actually a grab bar. It comes with massive anchor bolts and is made of very sturdy material. It's a great idea. Seems to me that all towel bars should be made that way. Elderly people aren't the only ones who could use them. The towel racks in our bathroom are a little loose from people grabbing them.

Name:  designer_grab_bar_with_towel_bar_hand.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  23.4 KB

Attach the screws to a stud, or use something like wingits, and you can do chin ups from that bar. If you're short enough.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #6455
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
'Customers'. Give me fucking strength. I don;t object to tax as a general rule, though I reserve the right to gripe at the details - but calling us customers is ludicrous. We haven't given them our custom, nor can we take our custom elsewhere.
Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes?

Beest's (alternate last grasp useless) chemo tablets and his blood thinners were shipped from a specialty prescription company who used to call all the time to try to persuade him to order refills. of chemo pills. I dealt with them at the weekend and -I thought- stopped them shipping more stuff, and yet again this morning he got an email to say a shipment was on the way (of more chemo pills) ......and they said they'll "try" to stop it, and that there was another shipment of a different failed chemo pill that he stopped taking last summer scheduled to come in August....... WTF? and they have the gall to refer to us as PATIENTS when we are just customers.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #6456
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
tell you what I'll mail you all the stupid imperial ones they use over here and you post me the nice metric ones and we'll both be happy
I remember walking past a bank somewhere in Wyoming (Thermopolis?) which was being extended.
A workman was measuring some wood and called to a colleague: 'Forty seven and five eighths'. I felt quite at home.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #6457
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I volunteer making houses more functional for elderly homeowners to live in them. Age in place.
We fix up one house each spring. Anyway, one of the things we do is put tons of grab bars in the bathrooms.
There is a towel rack you can buy that is actually a grab bar. It comes with massive anchor bolts and is made of very sturdy material. It's a great idea.
Seems to me that all towel bars should be made that way. Elderly people aren't the only ones who could use them.
The towel racks in our bathroom are a little loose from people grabbing them.
What a brilliant idea!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #6458
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I remember walking past a bank somewhere in Wyoming (Thermopolis?) which was being extended.
A workman was measuring some wood and called to a colleague: 'Forty seven and five eighths'. I felt quite at home.
Of course you did, any civilized person would.

By the way, there is a code for mounting grab bars, ANSII-ICC A117/
Old 03-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #6459
Griff
still says videotape

I'm irritated by my irritation this morning. I got up and dressed to plow the driveway but Dad was already on the job running the snowblower at low rpm and 6-8" off the ground. So he basically skimmed a few inches off the top and packed down a place to drive with his tires. No snowflakes were injured in this operation. To be fair, I'm sure he cleared the snow the plow trucks pushed into the end of the drive and 8" is better than a 3' drift in the drifting areas.

I'm done being an ungrateful shit now.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #6460
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Today, I am mildly irritated by snot. Specifically, the metric butt-tons of snot that always follow an unwanted visit by the %$#@ flu bug.

For the last three days, I've been just this side of comatose. Thankfully, this morning I feel like I might have actually survived the worst of it, but now comes the weeks-long effort to clear my lungs and sinuses of the dreaded snot infestation. I'm certain I am personally increasing the stock price of Kleenex TM.

*gurgle*
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #6461
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Glinda, how about your vacuum cleaner?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #6462
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Vacuum cleaner?

She said metric butt-ton of snot.

That calls for a dredge pump.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #6463
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Happy loogie hockin', Glinda!

No, that's not a Swedish holiday.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #6464
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Talking

OMG you guys make me laugh!!! (and cough hack snort)

Thank you, I needed that.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #6465
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey, snot a problem, glad to be of service.

Tags
mild cheddar