The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #226
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #227
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I like Bolfspeef. I shall name my son that.

This is what I had.
Yes I know they're not really American. But they were on sale. And they are both crunchy and hot i' truth, and that's doing what it says on the packet.

I expect to blaze a fiery trail later this evening...

Quote:
Chixxs
Marinated chicken wings in an American style hot chilli crunchy coating

Take the Heat...

Born in the bars of the USA, these feisty American hot chilli Wings are smothered in a crunchy coating, seasoned with punchy paprika and black pepper, culminating in a lingering capsicum frutescens chilli finish.

Some say that Americans like to do things bigger and that includes flavour You are sure to find these wings packed full of big hearted flavours the USA would be truly proud of.

Embrace the taste of the American dream with these tongue tingling hot chilli wings.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #228
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I have a pork chop and corn, but we are being forced into a company picnic, so I don't know what I will be eating there. It's not until 3pm, so I don't know if we are expected to eat lunch or dinner. PS - I hate that I have to go
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #229
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Marinated chicken wings in an American style hot chilli crunchy coating
This saddens me in two ways. One, that all this 'Mericuh marketing is going on. We did some cool things and inventing the Buffalo-style hot wing is one of them, but all this USA USA nonsense, I mean, shouldn't it go towards the iPhone and not some horrible appetizer-turned-meal?

And two, the chance that this product actually resembles the original is near zero.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #230
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hey don't take it to heart.
The other two items in the range are "Italian" Pesto Chicken Bites and "Indian" Masala Chicken Goujons.

There are many food crimes committed in American under the name of Italian cookery.
Ditto in this country under the name of Indian cookery.
Don't think for a second the USA should be immune!

Although I do love an American-Style Diner. Because if it's licensed it will sell Long Island Iced Tea. Ooh I could suck that up through a straw! Oh, I mean... I have.

As a side note, one of my favourite ad campaigns of all time was by the company that made Phileas Fogg tortilla chips. They had a whole range of "world" snacks. The adverts showed authentic settings for each and then a voiceover at the end said in a very scholarly voice, "Pay attention! Phileas Fogg snacks are made in Medomsley Road, Consett."

Here is one of my favourites. If something I come across has the right syllables and cadence I am still occasionally moved to sing it to the tune of Punjab Airways...

NB - the wording in this advert differs slightly from my description above. Some definitely said Pay Attention though.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #231
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh 'dae, I can't wait until I win the lottery, and I am your guide as we whisk away to try all the actual 'Muricun local foods of at least the East Coast.

And I can't wait to read your travelogue on it, because your travelogues are the best.

I am reasonably sure this will happen in our lifetimes.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #232
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Am currently reading Confederates in the Attic (must remember to tell Bri it arrived!) and am so hungry for America. I'll try anything once. Even Country Gravy.

Thanks for the compliment on travelogues. Means a lot.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #233
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But don't let him try to feed you Mexican food, Sundae. You'd have to come down here after you're done with the East Coast tour. You would just melt for both real Mexican and real TexMex, I know it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #234
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's only right. I would cover:

Montreal: Crepes de jombon et fromage
Maine: Lobsters and/or proper lobster rolls
New Hampshire: Polly's Pancake House with many maple syrup products
Boston: New England clam chowdah
New York City: Deli sandwiches of pastrami and corned beef; street vendor hot dog; cheesecake
Philadelphia: Cheesesteak; soft pretzel; water ice
OC Maryland: Crabs banged open with a mallet
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #235
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah. I've gone off KFC . Now and again I'll forget about the last experience and get suckered in by promises of succulent chicken and secret herbs and spices and bam! I'm sitting in a half-arsed excuse for a seating area, eating greasy chicken in overdone coating, and trying not to look at anything too closely.
Do they have Popeyes there yet? I look at the bottom of a KFC tub and see about a spoonful of oil, I never see any oil in a box of Popeyes chicken.

BTW, check out my What's for Breakfast post. SInce it's before noon, it still qualifies.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #236
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Hot dogs, grapes and popcorn - YUM!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #237
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Do they have Popeyes there yet?
Not that I'm aware of. New franchises tend to start in London, and I've never seen any there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
BTW, check out my What's for Breakfast post. SInce it's before noon, it still qualifies.
Off there now I promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Hot dogs, grapes and popcorn - YUM!
Every morning I pop a couple of grapes from the fridge into my mouth. Naughty, because I don't buy them. They remind me of the William Carlos William poem, which previously always made me shudder (even though I liked the wording) because it is about plums, which I have an aversion to anyway. Let alone all cold and hard.

Grapes on the other hand have thinner skin and are truly so sweet and so cold.

I had pretzels this morning. Breakfast and lunch really.
I made Mum a birthday cake and ate too much of the icing. I tried a white chocolate ganache and it was a disaster so I felt obliged to scoff the scrapings.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #238
Clodfobble

Sundae, at least someone bought them. My dad used to give me three grapes each time we went to the grocery store when I was a toddler. "One for each hand, and one for your mouth." Years later I was horrified to realize I'd been complicit in dozens of crimes.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #239
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh Clod, you shocker.
Did he also take you into the changing rooms and feed you the packaged sandwiches, leaving the plastic under a pile of discarded clothes?

Perhaps give you a little sippy from an open carton of apple juice until you'd sippied it all dry then hid the evidence behind the shampoo?!

I know that game Missus.

And you know where it ends up? In a liquor store, drunk as a skunk, pissing your pants in the middle of the aisle.

Think on, lady.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #240
Clodfobble

I just don't have the heart to tell my dad that he's led me to a life of liquor store urination. It would crush him so. He always tried to do right by us, you know, set a good example--you pee on the wall outside the liquor store dearie, on the wall outside!

I'm so ashamed.