The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #2461
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

JPEG Mini

Quote:
Reduce the file size of your photos by up to 5x, while keeping their original quality and JPEG format!

http://www.jpegmini.com/
Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #2462
glatt

I tried this out, and I have to admit it does a great job. I uploaded full sized images, saw how much they were compressed by JPEDmini, then compressed the originals in irfanview by the same amount and then compared the two resulting image files. Irfanview was slightly lower quality every time. And for some reason was about twice the file size. I obviously don't know how to use irfanview to compress an image to a specific file size.

Anyway, this shows that JPEGmini is better at this than Irfanview. Smaller files, better quality. The compressed images are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #2463
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Below is an excerpt from their (JpegMini.com) Privacy Policy (bold mine):

Quote:
Information Collection

In the course of using this Site and/or Partner Sites, you may provide us with personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you, and information on your use of and activities at our Site that may be connected with you (.Personal Information.). Personal Information collected may include your name, email address, phone number, gender, birthday, account credentials for Facebook, Google, Flickr and Picasa and information regarding your use of our Service. Personal Information may also include information you supply concerning your preferences and interests expressed in the course of use of our Site and/or Partner Sites.

When you visit the Site and register to our service, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a Site. This information may include, but is not limited to, technical information about your computer such as memory, bandwidth etc., Internet Protocol address, browser type, the web page you were visiting before you came to our Site and information you search for on our Service. Such information is collected by us for technical reasons and in order to improve our Service. We may also collect statistical and other data related to your use of the Service, usage patterns and/or other behavioral information. This information is collected and used as non-individually identifiable information.
"Account credentials"?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #2464
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They say this is so they can upload pics directly to your various accounts.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #2465
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It would be cool if sites could set up multiple credentials for your account, with multiple levels of permissions. I'd like to use something like mint.com, if the password I gave it to my bank account was to a read-only version.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #2466
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'd like to make you aware of a site called FreeKibble.com.

Quote:
Freekibble.com was launched in 2008, as the vision of then 11 year-old, Mimi Ausland. Mimi wanted to feed the hungry dogs and cats at her local shelter. "There are 10's of thousands of dogs and cats in animal shelters across the country, all needing to be fed a good meal." With this goal in mind, Freekibble was created.

Today, the Freekibble Network reaches over 500,000 passionate pet-lovers. This loyal community has helped us feed over 8 million meals to homeless dogs and cats in shelters, rescues and food-banks across the country (see map).
There are slideshows w/cute dogs/puppehs, and w/cats/kittehs. They have a daily trivia question, too, that, when you play, somehow helps FreeKibble come up with said kibble.

I dig it when kids start something.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #2467
starring molly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'd like to make you aware of a site called FreeKibble.com.

There are slideshows w/cute dogs/puppehs, and w/cats/kittehs. They have a daily trivia question, too, that, when you play, somehow helps FreeKibble come up with said kibble.

I dig it when kids start something.
excellent site!! I love animals; and helping. I volunteer at a shelter; and have found many new homes...
starring molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #2468
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #2469
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

WOW. Excuse me Miss Clips, we have Cirque duSoleil on the phone for you.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #2470
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'd date her, she has remarkable ball-handling skills
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #2471
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

And on top of that...

...she's a redhead.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #2472
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

How many slaves work for you?

www.slaveryfootprint.com

click 'Find Out/Take Survey'

10 questions (eleven is not a question)

Give (much) more detailed answers with the tab on the left.

Very interesting/thought provoking.

FYI: Like golf, you want a low score.

Gadgets killed me.

Name:  howmanyslaves.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  42.5 KB

You'll have to remove their cookie to take the survey again, as I could only get to my results page post survey.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #2473
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I could not get it to work.

However, this one worked for me. Also cool.

http://jimspages.com/States.htm

My score:

86% 43/50 perfect, average error 25 miles, 339 seconds.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #2474
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I could not get it to work.
I found it pretty annoying. Too fancy for its own good. The graphics and animations got in the way of the information.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #2475
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Heheh, I went exactly the opposite direction. I was annoyed by all the info distracting me from the survey.