The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The knife looks great. That over-size handle will pay off in blade control.

Good job!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Great knife perry.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

Good job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Great knife perry.
Thanks!
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

Good job!
Exactly right, my missing knife has a large handle which makes it awesome for all kinds of stuff when it isn't missing.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

A year or two ago I found a Spyderco Meerkat whilst hiking. Look at the proportions between the handle and blade.

(I'd post an image, but I'm hotlink-shy.)

Mine is just like that, except it's made in Golden of 440C, instead of Aus-6 from Seki City.

I also have a Boker Chad Los Banos Subcom F, which has interesting proportions.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Spyderco Meerkat
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Thanks Bruce.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
us humans love us some patterns:

more on inlay banding

This guy has an amazing catalog:http://www.inlaybanding.com/products.html
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #24
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
A year or two ago I found a Spyderco Meerkat whilst hiking. Look at the proportions between the handle and blade.

(I'd post an image, but I'm hotlink-shy.)

Mine is just like that, except it's made in Golden of 440C, instead of Aus-6 from Seki City.

I also have a Boker Chad Los Banos Subcom F, which has interesting proportions.
Those have tiny handles. I'd be curious to see how they feel in my (large) hands.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

This is an enormous thread from one of the knifemaking forums I frequent.

It's a work-in-progress thread that details the entire knifemaking process. It goes to show you why custom handmade knives easily go for thousands of dollars.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
This is an enormous thread from one of the knifemaking forums I frequent.

It's a work-in-progress thread that details the entire knifemaking process. It goes to show you why custom handmade knives easily go for thousands of dollars.
Damn. That is amazing. I was going to post a few pictures of a dorky knife I made in school, but it would be an insult to knifemaking.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

149 posts into the thread at this point. OUTSTANDING Perry, thank you. I noticed it took 113 posts to generate the first set of questions. I, too, am fond of WIP threads. This one is especially wonderful. I'm super envious of the guy's shop. Of course, this is his professional work (I'm guessing) so he can justify it more easily than I can. I can also sympathize with the specific moans about the difficulty and the extra trouble it takes to photo document one's own work. I have numerous projects I've done this for, and some of them have made it to the cellar. This guy's cook's tour through the shop of a master knifemaker is thrilling for me. I give him a standing ovation. You'll do well to read stuff like this. I know you have just as much potential as he's demonstrating. Go get'em, tiger!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Damn. That is amazing. I was going to post a few pictures of a dorky knife I made in school, but it would be an insult to knifemaking.
bull shit. Post them, *please*. I like to see what work my friends do. you're a damn renaissance man anyhow, you have nothing left to prove, just show us the pictchurs man.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
149 posts into the thread at this point. OUTSTANDING Perry, thank you. I noticed it took 113 posts to generate the first set of questions. I, too, am fond of WIP threads. This one is especially wonderful. I'm super envious of the guy's shop. Of course, this is his professional work (I'm guessing) so he can justify it more easily than I can. I can also sympathize with the specific moans about the difficulty and the extra trouble it takes to photo document one's own work. I have numerous projects I've done this for, and some of them have made it to the cellar. This guy's cook's tour through the shop of a master knifemaker is thrilling for me. I give him a standing ovation. You'll do well to read stuff like this. I know you have just as much potential as he's demonstrating. Go get'em, tiger!
I'm envious of all of the big fancy tools he's got. His disc grinder, surface grinder, milling machine, salt pot, etc. are all things I want to have some day. But what really blows me away is his attention to his own personal process, which gives rise to all of the crazy custom jigs and tools he's built.

His trick with the jeweler's saw is brilliant (around post 210). And like most brilliant things it's obvious after you see it done once.

I'm flattered that you think I have that sort of potential. I'm so nervous about the three knives I've committed to make for dwellers. I know I can do it, but that emotional component is still a hurdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
bull shit. Post them, *please*. I like to see what work my friends do. you're a damn renaissance man anyhow, you have nothing left to prove, just show us the pictchurs man.
I have to second this.

My knife wouldn't have turned out half as good if I weren't being baby-sat by a world-class knifemaker. It also would have taken twice as long in my ill-equipped shop.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I was disappointed that he tried to fill the void with superglue. And then tore off the handle. I would have tried shellac stick, it can be used to mimic figured grain by using different colors much the same way the damascus is done. Otherwise I'd consider inlaying a design in silver or gold or ivory or mother of pearl or something. That would make it seem intentional, it could also be a counterpoint to the single rivet. He could have cast a small decorative concho or whatever you call it.

Just my .02 as a creative problem solver who hates to do things twice.

Since I am an attention whom are, here are some photos of my knife made about 16 years ago.

The steel is from a coil spring we scavenged at an auto junk yard. We used leaf springs for wood turning tools and froes and axe heads and such. the coil spring was straightened and flattened then roughly shaped, and sandblasted. There are still a lot of files marks and grinder marks.

The guard and pommel were first made in wax and then cast in Brittania Metal which I then dimpled with a tiny ball peen hammer that I made out of a grade 5 bolt that I ground and polished.

The handle is from some walnut from a 200 year old tree that that was cut down to make way for a hospital. My teacher and his friend brought a chainsaw mill to the building site and took away most of the trunk. A friend and I got to keep some of the larger branches (8-12 in diameter) I still have some of it sawn into bowl blanks. I just expoxied or bondo-ed the handle and pommel on.

I have no idea of the rockwell hardness but a file has to be pretty new and sharp to bite the steel. After looking at Wheeler's process I see how I did a lot of things out of step causing me problems later.

Maybe I will sharpen it. The handle is a bit slim for my hand.
Attached Images