The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Cook's perks

Time to 'fess up to those little treats you allow yourself when you're in charge in the kitchen because, well, you deserve it, right?
When we have roast chicken for dinner somehow the wings never make it onto the plates or into the freezer. Well, they're so small, eh, hardly worth serving or saving

Sent by thought transference
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can't narrow it down to that extent, but I do find that by the time I finish cooking for Mum and Dad I'm no longer hungry. Now I know I taste as I go along, and sneak some bread (bread is always on the table when I cook) but surely that's not enough to fill me up..?

And perhaps yesterday I had a chipolata to check it was cooked before serving the rest of them up. And a stuffing ball (note to self, NEVER buy them pre-made again, they are so over-seasoned). But apart from that, nothing. Because that little roast potato looked overcooked and would have gone in the food bin otherwise.

I must be feasting on the smell alone

Last edited by Sundae; 03-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

J says there is a school of thought where you taste every ingredient that goes into a meal. I can't go with that - I'm not tasting the flour in the roux. But you can bet I've had the gravy. Hey someone had to make sure it was seasoned properly.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
bbro
Insert witty comment here

The choice of any "tester" piece of chicken fingers that the cook wishes. It's awesome because there are a few coveted ones based on thickness and corner crispiness.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm like Sundae, I taste as I go along too. In addition to cooking, I also have to clean as I go too. If my mom comes in the kitchen, and it doesn't matter that I'm tending something on the stove, if there's a plate, spoon, colander or what not in the sink or counter not being used, I get scolded for making a mess in the kitchen. By the time I'm finished cooking, not only am I not hungry, I'm usually too damn tired to eat and I don't care about the food anymore. Then I serve the meal. By the time I sit down to eat, everyone is almost finished eating. While I'm eating, everyone is done and if my mom is feeling nice, she'll clear the table for me. Unfortunately, sometimes she'll take away the food I'm not done eating also. Otherwise I'll clear the table after I'm done eating. Then I wash the dishes, pots and pans, and wipe down the kitchen. I think I see why I don't like to cook now.

Sorry, Limey. Didn't mean to be a killjoy on your thread.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
"How could we be out of cooking sherry ALREADY?"
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tulip I feel for you!

My Mum isn't like that thank goodness.
Since working behind the Deli counter I try to clean as I go, but there is only so much you can do. I always feel I have to apologise for any washing up, but the people I've cooked for (the 'rents and the Limeys) have always been up for the cooking/ cleaning exchange and very kind about it.

I can eat. I can eat poor meals, big meals, cheap meals. But don't ask me to eat when other people are clattering about, or in an emotionally charged atmosphere. I'd rather go to bed hungry.

My worst meals ever have been Christmas Dinner. Once eating alone at a boyfriend's house because his Grandad had to have his dinner at a specific time and I worked in a bar. They knew what time I would arrive, but I was still given a mostly cold dinner and his Mum cleaned up around me as if I'd peed on her nice carpet.

And then two horrible ones at home which ended in tears (one documented here, where Mum didn't speak to me until the New Year)
And one at the top of the World Trade Center - no, really - when I rowed so badly with the Evil Ex we got separate taxis back to our hotel.

Making braised ox-cheeks for tea tomorrow.
I doubt I'll have any specific perks, but there also haven't been any meal conflicts for ages, since I stopped eating with them. And of course we're all dancing round the fact we won't be living together much longer, so we're enjoying it while we can.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

I always nom the cheeses.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Hm. Cheese. BRB .....

Sent by thought transference
Old 03-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

raw veggies, especially mushrooms.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

The turkey tenderloins, when I'm carving the turkey for Thanksgiving/Christmas. And of course I'll have tasted the gravy, like UT said.

At non-holidays ... raw veggies. Cheese (Manchego, pleeze). And a glass of wine (I always cook with wine; sometimes I even put some in the food!).
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

when grilling steaks not ALL the Kielbasa makes it to the plate ,
HOT off the grill , oh ohh ahh , hot hot hot , YUMMMMMMY !!! sip of beer
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I taste as i go and am usually too full to eat dinner. Specially if its roast pork.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just reheated some rotisserie chicken. Safely, I promise.
I wanted to surprise Mum & Dad with a yummy lunch.
Oh dear, Diz and I had to check it first...

Diz only got the scraps, not access to the full (half) chicken. And he does not usually get that, but I don't know if the 'rents will even want it. I'm clearing the freezer of items I know Mum would otherwise bin; I bought the whole chicken for 99p and put half in the freezer. Might as well take a punt when it's ready and smellin good.

The rest of the chicken is now in a location inaccessible to Diz, smelling yummy, sliced up, tempting my picky fingerers...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

When baking, I am incapable of not licking the beater once the batter is done.

When dicing fresh mozzarella, a few cubes always disappear.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote