Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #451
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From that article:
Quote:
When the battery is depleted, a 1-liter, three-cylinder turbocharged engine spins at a constant speed, or revolutions per minute (rpm), to create electricity and replenish the battery.
It was a lie back then when we engineers were saying so long ago. They lied for the same reason why The Don lies. Its all about enriching the Central Committee of the Party. And raping the many fools who know only because they are liberal or conservative - do not think for themself.

Facts and numbers said Chevy Volt was promoted using Trump style lies. Like Trump, they were business school graduates - educated to even make spread sheets lie.

Another lie pushed by same liars was ethanol (ie E85). That lie also was expose here long ago by others.
Why gas prices are too high...
Rescind The Ethanol Mandate
Again, from that article is what so many naysayers should now be sheepishly admitting today:
Quote:
We don't know how to feel about this news. Certainly, from an engineering perspective and total cost of operation, it does make sense. That 1.4-liter four-banger doesn't have the power to both motivate the quite-beefy Volt and recharge the battery pack, and it probably allows the on-board generator to take advantage of constant RPM efficiency tricks.
It does not have power because GM engines often need two extra pistons to get power routinely found in patriotic Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes, and Honda engines. This was also constantly discussed here long ago - horsepower per liter. Problem exists because so many wackos hate America: "Buy American" rather than do what patriots do: "Believe in the free market. Buy the best."

But patriotism does not create bigger bonuses for the Central Committee (Trump types). So even the naive here denied it back then and may still deny these many examples today.

Anyone can see why diesel-electric locomotives in the 1930s were the future. And still GM cannot make one work in 2010s - eighty years later. And GM even made locomotives. Another trophy for people who are as smart as Donald Trump.

Fortunately Volt is a first victim of what appears to be the beginning of a Trump inspired recession. Volt has long been an example of what makes America grate.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #452
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
From that article:
Quote:
When the battery is depleted, a 1-liter, three-cylinder turbocharged engine spins at a constant speed, or revolutions per minute (rpm), to create electricity and replenish the battery.
It was a lie back then when we engineers were saying so long ago.
Indeed; the article itself is about how that quote was not true. I was talking about the later quotes, also in the article.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #453
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Indeed; the article itself is about how that quote was not true. I was talking about the later quotes, also in the article.
Which ones? As stated earlier, recharging from the grid is less efficient than a gasoline-electric or diesel-electric technology. Losses in creating, transporting, charging and storing energy in a battery is still inefficient.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #454
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Which ones?
There are only two others.
Quote:
"a gasoline/E85-powered engine generator seamlessly provides electricity to power the Volt's electric drive unit while simultaneously sustaining the charge of the battery."
Quote:
"The reason it does that is because we want you to arrive with the batteries 'empty,' filling up on grid power costs about 1/6th of what it does with gas."
Quote:
As stated earlier, recharging from the grid is less efficient than a gasoline-electric or diesel-electric technology.
As stated earlier, I doubt it, or we'd all be running our houses off of generators.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #455
tw

Quote:
As stated earlier, I doubt it, or we'd all be running our houses off of generators.
Other factors (ie changing loads, constant maintenance, less reliability, etc) make home generation impractical. And that is only one of many reasons why batteries are not - cannot be 1/6th less expensive. Less expensive than current obsolete gas only? Yes. Only slightly. Obviously. Because even the changing load problem is massive in cars. Gasoline engines are particularly bad - efficiencies drip massively - when loads are constantly changing.

Best efficiencies are still found in gas-electric and diesel-electric technologies. GM does not even have that. Then suddenly those business school graduates will make electric only work? Well, that will probably be the technology in 30 years. But currently it still does not work - except in vehicles that never travel any distances. And in vehicles that can wait long periods to recharge.

What is the worst (most destructive) thing to do to a battery? Run it all the way down. Then batteries must be replaced often. American hybrids (from companies who let engineers design) will get about 100,00 miles from a battery. Why? Batteries are not deeply discharged. One never wants to arrive with the battery empty.

BTW why do you give credence to a guy who only recently discovered that the Volt was that crappy? He did not know what was obvious back then. So where is he getting his numbers from? He does not give a single reason why. He has a credibility problem.

Last edited by tw; 11-27-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #456
Happy Monkey

Like I said, I make no claims on the actual performance of the Volt in particular.

I was just surprised by the claim that it didn't charge the battery with the gas motor, because it was counter-intuitive, but then the explanation made sense, and it is probably the correct behavior for a vehicle intended to primarily be a plug-in electric car.
Quote:
Other factors (ie changing loads, constant maintenance, less reliability, etc) make home generation impractical.
The biggest factor making home generation impractical is economies of scale, which a plug-in car can take full advantage of.

Quote:
Then suddenly those business school graduates will make electric only work? Well, that will probably be the technology in 30 years. But currently it still does not work - except in vehicles that never travel any distances.
That is the intended market for the Volt; the gas engine is for the rare cases when it goes past the battery range.
Quote:
What is the worst (most destructive) thing to do to a battery? Run it all the way down. Then batteries must be replaced often. American hybrids (from companies who let engineers design) will get about 100,00 miles from a battery. Why? Batteries are not deeply discharged. One never wants to arrive with the battery empty.
The second quote has quotes around 'empty'; it doesn't actually go to zero. The first quote says it sustains the charge of the battery, presumably at the level GM felt was the proper minimum for the battery type they were using.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #457
tw

Quote:
I was just surprised by the claim that it didn't charge the battery with the gas motor, because it was counter-intuitive, but then the explanation made sense, and it is probably the correct behavior for a vehicle intended to primarily be a plug-in electric car.
That was not the original design. Volt originally was suppose to have no engine - only batteries. But it did not do what was required - too late. So a motor was added afterwards - a kludge. Without the tiny but complex box that would make it a hybrid.

I noted that both before AND so many years ago. It was a kludge because GM engineers no longer design products. Engine was not in the original design.

Volt was so badly designed that when taken to a interview with PBS reporters, it was rolled out of the tractor trailer and would not move.

Biggest factor in home generation is changing loads. Economies of scale is a very popular myth promoted inaccurately by economists. Previous attempts to use an otherwise more efficient solution discovered other problems.

Example: over ten years ago, an airport operator was moving his entire facility off the grid. But that meant he could not have electric clocks, TVs that power on using a remote controller, etc. Because these thing draw power constantly (ie vampire consumers). Meaning generation must provide massive power to only power tiny watt appliances.

Just one of many reasons why single home power generation does not work.

Fiat tried doing same some 20 years ago (using Fiat engines). They discovered same problems. Electricity from fuel was most efficient when loads were constant. But loads vary massively in homes - subverting those efficiencies.

Hybrids do not have that problem.

Volt was suppose to be all electric. But its design ended up being so bad that a gasoline engine was added. Since that design had already taken too many years, then no time existed to properly implement a gas engine into a hybrid.

Apparently that author did not know many things. He did not know the engine could not charge its battery. He believed GM lies. And he did not understand that electric only cars still do not achieve the necessary 'less energy' requirement. And have numerous other compromises.

So Elon Musk is spending so much to still fix those problems.

A battery company A123 was not so successful - was not doing the necessary innovations. So they went bankrupt in 2012.

Too many problems still remain to be solved. Hybrids have not yet achieved their superiority. And are the future. All electric cars need maybe another 20 years of development.

Meanwhile, The Don is attacking GM repeatedly today. He will not admit why he has caused GM's necessary 15% employee layoff. He protected the anti-America steel manufacturers by doing what always destroys trade and jobs - tariffs. So GM's costs increased by $1 billion annually. Directly traceable to a president with micro intelligence and an excessive ego. Who then blames all other for disasters that he creates.

Volt is an early victim. Questions remain if a Chevy Spark may be the next victim.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #458
Happy Monkey

Comparison

If the owner of a Volt makes lots of long trips, their cost can approach $1.60 per 25 miles, which is more than that of a Prius, at $1.29.

If they never run down the battery, their cost is $1.01.

Which approach is better depends on expected usage.

The first x miles of the trip will be at $1.01/25 mi, and $1.60 after that. It starts cheaper, but there's a point at which it gets more expensive than the Prius.

(Assumptions from the page: gas is $2.69/gal, electricity $0.13/kWh. Local rates will affect the crossover point as well.)
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #459
tw

Quote:
Those numbers are highly inflated. GM cars are routinely designed to get a highest EPA number at the expense of reality. EPA says the engine gets 42 MPG. Most owners are getting 35. Road and Track could not exceed 39 MPG.

Meanwhile, EPA highway mileage numbers are achieved or exceeded in competition products. For example, my Honda Accord, rated 28 MPG on the highway, routinely does over 30 MPG in all driving - local or highway. Lowest I ever got was 28 in much local driving short distances in winter.

GM's 42 MPG for Volt is clearly suspect. It was always a bad design since it was originally designed to only be an EV - no gasoline motor. It took almost 10 years to design and still does not do what superior cars do - a true hybrid.

As a kludge, numbers that GM promotes are always suspect. It is and should be a early victim of The Don's campaign to harm America business with tariffs, trade wars, subverting trade deals, and other job destroying actions.

Just talked to a Chevy salesman. They sold no Volts. They are not even permitted to sell Bolts. And the Chevy Spark is another disaster. They often do not have any in stock since it does not sell.

Meanwhile, I believe Ford sells a true hybrid that can also be charged from AC for short distances. Then a cold gasoline engine need not run when it is least efficient and causing most wear.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #460
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Those numbers are highly inflated. GM cars are routinely designed to get a highest EPA number at the expense of reality. EPA says the engine gets 42 MPG. Most owners are getting 35. Road and Track could not exceed 39 MPG.

Meanwhile, EPA highway mileage numbers are achieved or exceeded in competition products. For example, my Honda Accord, rated 28 MPG on the highway, routinely does over 30 MPG in all driving - local or highway. Lowest I ever got was 28 in much local driving short distances in winter.
Eh, they're all based on best-case scenarios. My Prius doesn't get 52 unless I hit a major traffic jam on the Beltway (suspect definition of "best-case scenario"). On average, it's below 45. YMMV (ha ha!)
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #461
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

tw missed his calling, he could have been the next Dr Seuss. With his talent for taking a fact or two and weaving a story that works his fantasies and prejudices into the scenario. The scary part is he believes it.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #462
Griff
still says videotape

On the bright side, Trumpy had a no good very bad day yesterday.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #463
tw

Volt as designed was so bad that they had to remove batteries and add a motor. There is no replacement for that Kludge. Trump actually did good for America. His tariffs killed crap called a Volt.

As usual, GM's mythical 42 MPG from its motor is only a pathetic 35 MPG. My Civics routinely did 40 MPG. A Lexus hybrid just up from Virginia - he was routinely doing in the mid to high 40s MPG. That is a larger car.

Many Chevy dealers are not permitted to sell the Bolt. Bolt is the $50,000 attempt to compete with Tesla. Obviously it is also not selling.

Chevy Spark, that should have been a hybrid, was designed using last generations technology. No hybrid version (as best I can tell) is even in the planning stage. Another trophy for the GM showcase.

No fact yet justified the Volt. It was crap. Any advantage it has is even found in hybrids from Ford. Volt is another GM trophy alongside the EV1.

A Volt battery only gets 40 miles? Golf carts designed to be licensed are almost as good.

The automotive press has also been just as critical. So the naive also call them demented.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #464
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Trumpy had a no good very bad day yesterday.
Which part was significant?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #465
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They will sell you a Bolt for like $38K, with a range of 238 miles per charge.

This is actually ahead of Tesla Model 3. Currently you can buy a Model 3 for $45K, with a "mid range" battery pack and a range of 260 miles. They are hoping to find the efficiencies to bring that down to $38K for a "standard" battery pack with a range of 220 miles, in the next six months, and they have a whole set of reservations for that car at that price.

I read the Car and Driver review for the Bolt and they love it

I would not buy one... I would get the Tesla.

Because Autopilot.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheesecake