The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Great, next time you or someone you love gets sick we will withhold all treatment that you could have had if it related to animal research and you will die. Got a head injury? You're are fucked, Got a poisoning, sorry about that, you will die, how about an exposure to a chemical weapon! nope, you will be dead in a few minutes. Hey, got cancer? Ouch, you are way fucked. Have a nice life. it's going to be short.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
sugarpop
Professor

So what. There are too many damn people on the planet anyway. I really want to know that animals had their heads bashed in just so we could figure out how to fix them, so my injury could be treated. NOT. If my head is injured, just kill me. You know me. You know I don't value human life over any other kind of life.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #18
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I don't value human life over any other kind of life.
Are you Hindu?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
sugarpop
Professor

No. I'm a witch.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I really want to know that animals had their heads bashed in just so we could figure out how to fix them, ~snip
I firmly believe you have every right to take that position.

But keep in mind, the carnivores and omnivores would bash your head in if they could, without a second thought.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
sugarpop
Professor

Yes, but animals usually do not attack unless provoked, hungry, or protecting their young or their territory. Or in the case of predators, like cats, when they are teaching their young to hunt.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What about Doctors teaching their interns to heal?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #23
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Ok, lets just round up some illegals and bash them in the head and do experiments on them, ok? :rollseyes:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Datalyss
Huh?

http://www.hsus.org/animals_in_research/animal_testing/

Quote:
The HSUS considers animal-based toxicity studies to be an ethically and scientifically questionable means of evaluating potential hazards to human beings, wildlife, or the environment we all share. We are working on a national and global level to promote greater reliance on available alternative testing methods, and are actively supporting a landmark call by the US National Research Council for fundamental changes to the way product testing is conducted—to move from animal tests that are decades old, costly, slow and of dubious relevance to people, to ultra-modern, efficient and human-relevant non-animal methods.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Yes, but animals usually do not attack unless provoked, hungry, or protecting their young or their territory. Or in the case of predators, like cats, when they are teaching their young to hunt.
Humans usually don't hurt animals without a reason either.

I would support efforts to discourage exceptions to that.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #26
Nirvana
Back in 10

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #27
Nirvana
Back in 10

PETA the name that is synonymous with hypocrisy
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
No. I'm a witch.

Which has what to do with what?

I'm a witch and likely have entirely different ideas than you about how the world hangs together, which is entirely different from how Elspode might approach the same questions.

You know what they say, ask 10 witches about an issue, and you're likely to get 15 to 20 different opinions.

At risk of derailing the thread ... based on other statements you have made, what is your position on a woman's right to choose?

Quote:
Those are precisely the reasons that I attack.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
Datalyss
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Maybe sp believes in Animism, which is part of the religion for some Wiccans.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #30
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I has to do with being asked if she was Hindu. Don't think she was relating it to her opinion on animal cruelty or PETA.

Honestly I think pure breeding is bad as well, and parading the animals around judging them on how close they fit the mold. Pure breeding usually = inbreeding.
That is the issue PETA is addressing in that situation, and I think they are accurate, although extreme, by comparing it to race superiority.
I think PETA has its far-out there whacked up ideas. I also think they have some great ones.
Pitbulls are dangerous dogs, if the people who own them cannot be responsible, which often times they are not, then they should not own a pitbull. I've seen the damage first hand that a puppy can cause, and I thank my lucky stars I was able to prevent the it from killing my black lab, which with its jaws, it could have done easily despite that my black lab was twice its size at the time. I think it would be best if the breed was not allowed to further procreate. Also, just like any other type of dog, if the owner shows themselves to be irresponsible, the dog should be taken away from them. I think people who own particularly aggressive breeds of dogs, not just pitbulls, should have to keep the dog registered and adhere to strict protocols.

To address the issue of animal testing, I know that we have benefited from it, and might continue to do so. There are, or being developed alternative methods to that, and it is the ideal. I don't think we have the right to use animals however we want. Eating meat is different, those animals, hopefully lived a decent life, and died quick relatively painful deaths. Not like the animals in testing that suffer long term.
We are overpopulated, we need to cull our procreation as well. I think this needs to be a social change, government will just fuck it up. People need to change their mindset that they are entitled to have children, and that having children is the ultimate fulfillment. That stems from our basic instinct to survive and pass on our genes, and our need to live on through our kids. I hope that we can evolve past that, we're like lemmings, not knowing when it is necessary to stop. I hear a lot of people who also seem to think they somehow did their child a favor by giving them life, they didn't.