The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #691
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That guy must be driving someone else's vehicle, like government or company owned... or he's just stupid.
I saw that video on the Capital Weather Gang website. And there were pictures there too, of people cleaning ice off their cars using ʄucking metal hammers. And one shot showed a smashed rear window. Imagine that. Idiots.

Name:  2014-02-05T173735Z_01_LJU04_RTRIDSP_3_SLOVENIA-ICE.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  67.0 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #692
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Here I am, but the Cellar servers are 30 miles south, in a data center with a big-ass diesel generator for backup power.
What a coincidence. I also have a big-ass!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #693
Griff
still says videotape

They sent us home early. I would like to thank Suzuki for a kick-ass little car.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #694
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Last week's ice storm in Slovenia. No matter how bad it is where you are, just remember it can always be worse.

I kept hearing a frog.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #695
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've never heard the wind blow this hard against and around the house.
There are serious gusts.
I know I always say it, but I do live in a very protected area, geographically, so this is shocking.

I'm glad the 'rents are moving, despite the stress to me. They don't have to worry abut maintenance any more. And they're not just moving onto another hill, they're also on the first floor (second floor in US terms). They're also right above the offices of the charity they're renting from, so they'll never be stranded without power, because someone will know and come to check on them.

In the mean time, I expect to see trees uprooted when the sun comes up, because the wind is so strong and the ground so sodden. And damage to property; shed roofs and chimneys and fence panels and the like. No fatalities I hope - someone has been killed in London tonight by falling masonry.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #696
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah. Was bad here too, but not as bad as last Thursday. That was mental. I was scared to go out with Carrot, because when i did I felt like i was going to be blown over. Then I told myself off for being dramatic. Later, I thought the windos were going to blow in, and again berated myself for being dramatic.

Then on Friday I saw the damage to manchester on the news. People being blown of their feet, uprooted trees, a train station evacuated because the roof was torn off, and a street evacuated because the fronts of three houses were ripped off.

Similar story in parts of Yorkshire.

Round here it looked dramatic, with wheelie bins and garden furniture, roof slates and and the like scattered about, but aside from a couple of uprooted trees and a collapsed wall blocking a road, there wasn't anything major.

100 miles an hour wind. 110 in some parts of coastal Wales.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #697
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Last Wednesday, in Shropshire...

It isn't clear what type of building it was that now has a sky view, but the escaping roof didn't look very substantial, did it?
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #698
Griff
still says videotape

Pretty shoddy...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #699
Griff
still says videotape

Dynamite downhill ski conditions today. Went to Greek Peak and made 19 runs for about 10800 ft of elevation skied. Pete's top speed (app on her phone) was 42.5mph not bad fer an old broad. Which reminds me, I'm gassed, good night all. Sposed to be an evil rain coming this week.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #700
Griff
still says videotape

rain just became snow... mid 50s yesterday to single digits tomorrow morning
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #701
glatt

And I had just put my Puffy Ass Coat away on Monday. Had to go dig it out of the wardrobe in the basement.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #702
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

75 here two days ago. High in the low forties yesterday, maybe 50 today...Might oughta keep that bubblegoose handy, Glatt.

Winter, she might not have the same calendar as the rest of us.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #703
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

65° and byooteefull, today!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #704
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

The red-winged blackbirds are back, and the Toms and hens are strutting. Spring has arrived.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #705
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tipping it down today. Back to walking to work in the dark since the clocks have gone forward.
Rumours of sunshine to come later in the week, so I'm hoping my mornings will soon be full of light and life.

Starts this week are:
Tuesday, 06.30 - dark
Wednesday, 06.30 - dark
Thursday, 06.00 - dark and miserable
Friday, 09.30 - light but in a cheaty way
Saturday, sleepy time!
Sunday, 09.00 - light but it's a customer-facing day again, so I have to hope its not monsoon weather

Getting to work in wet trousers and runny make-up doesn't bode well for a nine hour shift...