The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Je Suis Charlie

I'm surprised there isn't a Cellar convo about this yet.

I'm getting a little fed up with how the media portrays terrorists, especially their use of the terrorist groups' own names. It would be better if the media referred to them as infidels and blasphemers or worthless garbage instead of dignifying them by calling them al quaida or whatever, especially making a point of saying over and over again that they are not really Muslims but just pretending to be.

Maybe the lead could be something like:
Quote:
AP-
Paris France
A group of filthy infidels, claiming to be Muslim, blasphemed the prophet and insulted Islam today by carrying out a cowardly murder of innocent people...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
glatt

That would be a good start. The media likes to pretend it isn't biased, but maybe we need a little in your face perspective.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

not lookin' to fight here, but...

Call them what they are: Islamic Fundamentalists.

They are not 'radicals' or 'extremists'.

They are followers of Islam as laid out in the Koran, without interpretation, modification, or adulteration.

Kill the infidel: that's you, me, and any one who isn't walkin' their narrow path.

No good purpose is served pretending these folks aren't Muslim (as envisioned by Muhamad).

See them for what they are.

Last edited by henry quirk; 01-08-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clean up
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I'm always impressed at the number of Muslim and Islamic experts we have here in the States.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
I'm always impressed at the number of Muslim and Islamic experts we have here in the States.
I think I detect sarcasm... I like what Reza Aslan has to say:

Whatever religion a person practices their interpretation of that religion is. by definition, the Orthodox version and whatever anyone else practices is Heterodox

What does Fundamental actually mean? Why is one interpretation fundamental an another not? It seems to me like fundamental is just Newspeak for fascistic.

Aslan's points are excellent and show up the media for fanning the flames of fear, ignorance, and anger to generate clicks.

I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of Muslims don't feel terrorists represent them.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Are those 99 percent speaking up? I'm actually asking. I don't recall seeing any sort of organized effort to denounce what the 'extremists, fundamentalists...pick a word' are doing.

I hear the occasional 'that ain't us' but those are just a few small words with no resonance.

Or is it another cultural thing to just pray a lot and say and do nothing about your murderous brethren?

Again, I'm asking. I really don't know if there's any sort of stepping up in numbers (like 99 %) to say or do anything to get right down to it and say 'oh hale no!'
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excuse ebola me, have you ebola heard the latest ebola, buzz words ebola mandatory for ebola breaking news?
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Fire burns.

Believing otherwise is foolish (in the least), or insane (at the most).

But: as you like.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Are those 99 percent speaking up? I'm actually asking. I don't recall seeing any sort of organized effort to denounce what the 'extremists, fundamentalists...pick a word' are doing.

I hear the occasional 'that ain't us' but those are just a few small words with no resonance.

Or is it another cultural thing to just pray a lot and say and do nothing about your murderous brethren?

Again, I'm asking. I really don't know if there's any sort of stepping up in numbers (like 99 %) to say or do anything to get right down to it and say 'oh hale no!'
I wonder about that too. I've read some people saying that the media isn't reporting it, but I don't know. Aslan is saying Islam doesn't promote violence or peace. But if you are a violent person you'll bring violence to it. I wouldn't want to be tarred with the same brush as The Westboro Baptist church because I live in a predominantly Christian country and I sure as shit don't want to be called on the carpet for all the fucked up things the Catholics did and still do just because I was raised Catholic. I think it is important to lump the terrorists together and put Westboro, for example, in with Al Qaida et al.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Hello, Joe!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Given the reactions of those "patriotic" Americans in NY City when Muslims tried to build a Community Center,
and the "watch lists" created by the F.B.I of people sending $ to other countries,
I'm not surprised if there may a reluctance on the part of American Muslims to draw attention to themselves.

Can you imagine the reaction to a parade down Main Street
of a large number of men and women carrying flags and placards saying... أنا لست أسامة بن لادن

For now, if I were Muslim, I'm not sure I'd want those neighbors down the street to know it.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Hi Grav.

When I was a Team Sergeant, one of my guys was from Bangladesh. Ali. Great guy, great family, I'm an honorary Uncle around his place. He taught me a lot about Islam.

All Americans should be forced to travel around the world at least once, get to know some other people, not just through the lens of the news.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
All Americans should be forced to travel around the world at least once, get to know some other people, not just through the lens of the news.
I don't know about 'forced', but, I agree in theory.

Quote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness...
~Mark Twain

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Yea, too strong. Can't force em too. I agree.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness...
And vice versa.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote