The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 23rd, 2018 : Pedestrian Curricle

Karl Drais's Draisine was all the rage with the young wealthy Dandies in Europe but both were much ridiculed by the common folk.

Quote:
Denis Johnson created an improved version of the German Karl Drais's Draisine, the archetypal bicycle. Johnson's ‘pedestrian curricle’ was patented in London in December 1818, becoming Britain's first bicycle. It featured an elegantly curved wooden frame, allowing the use of larger wooden wheels. Several parts were made of metal, which allowed the vehicle to be lighter than the continental version.
Although Johnson referred to his machine as a ‘pedestrian curricle’, it was formally referred to as a ‘velocipede’, and popularly as a ‘Hobby-horse’, ‘Dandy-horse’, ‘Pedestrian's accelerator’, ‘Swift walker’ and by a variety of other names.

Quote:
Johnson made at least 320 velocipedes in the early part of 1819. He also opened riding schools in the Strand and Soho.
In May 1819 he introduced a dropped-frame version for ladies to accommodate their long skirts.

But that was then, 199 years ago, and this is now.
A Brit named Glynn Stockdale from Knutsford has been a bike enthusiast for more than 40 years.
Some people are just funny like that, and usually have a reputation around town.
You know, a warning to mothers to keep children and pets locked safely away.

Stockdale got a call asking if he was interested in an old bike they found in a barn they were tearing down. Yes, he was.

Quote:
Mr Johnson made 320 bikes in 1819, after registering to patent them in 1818, but it is thought there are only 12 in existence today.
This bike is believed to be the oldest as the bikes were numbered chronologically.
Not much of a looker, but I'll bet better than you'll look a 199 years old.

link

link

link
Old 01-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I hope I still have wood when I'm 199.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I hope I still have wood when I'm 199.
As opposed to being surrounded by it?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

It's 0345 in Kentucky!

You must have a sleep pattern even worse than mine.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

0420 approacheth
Old 01-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I think a podiatrist might help with pedestrian curricles.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:33 AM   #8
SPUCK
Professor

Those things look like nut mashers to me..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

The Japanese sell them as strider bikes to teach tinys to ride. I've got an older kid I work with who wants to ride a two wheeler. I'm thinking about pulling the cranks on a junker for him.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Nearly 400 toddlers from 14 countries and 30 riders with special needs competed for the worlds fastest Strider bike rider in Saturday's races held at Gallivan Center in Salt Lake City. Little legs lined up behind the 24 foot start gate and strode over, through and around various obstacles along the 777 foot custom built race course. We all witnessed little Finn transfer up four times in the 3-year old category and we were blown away by the speed of the Japanese riders who in the end swept all the titles. Happy, smiling faces received medals and trophies as champions were crowned in 2 and under, 3, 4, 5 year old, and special needs divisions. What a wonderful day of making new friends, riding, Dannon Yogurt mustaches, and racing!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
The Japanese sell them as strider bikes to teach tinys to ride. I've got an older kid I work with who wants to ride a two wheeler. I'm thinking about pulling the cranks on a junker for him.
My pottery teacher (who has many areas of expertise, one being bikes, (but no kids)) swears by taking the pedals off, having the kids scoot down the drive a few times* till they get the balance thing going, then put the pedals back on. Two-wheeling in a day. Many students have tried it with their kids -including me- and it works like a dream.

*assuming it's the American standard slight downwards slope
Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
*assuming it's the American standard slight downwards slope
Yes, the American standard is buy a home and it's all downhill from there.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My life's went down hill since I bought mine.