The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-01-2003, 11:34 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

We went into Montrose with two other couples for a couple hours last evening. Had some good laughs, played a few rounds of celebrity- dead, Canadian, or wife beater. Most impressive thing was the bar bill, six adults drinking from one to three beverages plus four appetizers 35 dollars american... Montrose House is now on my list o' places. Between the sheets by eleven. sweet.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
L&O was lame tonight.
You watched the three that were on TNT last night? You didn't like that two-parter?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #18
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

How I spent NYE this year

I went to a hotel party with Dagney, and another friend. We talked to other people, some of whom I actually knew, watched slideshows of pictures from last summers Leather Retreat, watched yet another top/bottom auction, counted down starting at eight sonce they forgot to change the channel in time (again), then drank "sparkling wine" (t'werent "Champagne", no matter what they said), then munched shrimp and coild cuts and cakes and cookies until we were stuffed and went home to bed. My arrival time between the sheets: 0320.

Top That!

Brian
Old 01-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Brian, I've known you long enough and well enough to know that nobody can Top you ... (*wicked chuckle*)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:26 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Oh, well, after we got the kids to bed, my wife was watching some stuff on the Tivo and I was reading Lord of the Rings. (I meant to re-read it before I saw Fellowship of the Ring, but I never got around to it, so here I am starting it after The Two Towers.) Around 11:55 I wandered downstairs to retrieve my XM satellite radio from the kitchen and take it up to the bedroom. By this time my wife had disappeared and the TV was on ABC so I sat down. At about 11:59:15 I yelled upstairs, "You better come on if you want to see it." She answered in the affirmative and showed up about 11:59:51, we watched it, then flipped around to see what the other networks were doing, and then I listened to the radio & read for a bit more and she watched some more Tivo-ized shows.

In case you didn't guess, New Year's Eve is not #1 on my list of fabulous holidays I enjoy celebrating. Thanks to a nasty virus I'm just getting over, I couldn't even have a nice stiff drink (which I'm generally in favor of on any evening, New Year's or not).
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #21
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

You watched the three that were on TNT last night? You didn't like that two-parter?
They were all old and tired...have been run to death. Time to TNTrot out some newer ones.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:21 AM   #22
dave

Weee!

I spent New Years looking for my cat and cleaning up stuff damaged by the fire. Jenni was playing Mario on her Gameboy Advance. She noticed it was 12:03 and said "happy new year by three minutes." I pulled my save games off the Xbox hard drive and then went to bed.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:34 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It occurred to me yesterday that New Year's Day is really quite silly as a holiday. Most holidays have serious meaning to them, but NYD is really just celebrating your odometer reaching 100,000 miles.

Come to think of it, Y2K was like reaching 100,000; 2003 is more like reaching 110,000. Once you've celebrated the big turnover, the little one is even more silly. Given that the calendar is arbitrary, and that in retrospect it could have been set up much better, we're really celebrating nothing here.

It's nice to say that we get to throw away the last 365 days and start over, but a renewal holiday followed by 3 months of winter is wrong. New Year's should really happen around April. Perhaps we can celebrate the fiscal calendar.

In ranking years, for me, 2000 was enjoyable, 2001 was absolutely horrid and 2002 was merely poor. Your life's rankings?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:54 AM   #24
dave

1981 - don't remember much.
1982 - don't remember much.
1983 - don't remember much.
1984 - don't remember much.
1985 - don't remember much.
1986 - don't remember much.
1987 - don't remember much.
1988 - don't remember much.
1989 - relatively shitty.
1990 - relatively shitty.
1991 - relatively shitty.
1992 - relatively shitty.
1993 - relatively shitty.
1994 - relatively shitty.
1995 - real shitty.
1996 - okay.
1997 - okay.
1998 - okay.
1999 - above average.
2000 - okay.
2001 - pretty good.
2002 - pretty good, until the last two months.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:03 AM   #25
juju
no one of consequence

We're celebrating time itself -- time well spent or ill-spent. And we're being thankful at being given the gift of even more time. Sure, the date is symbolic, but the time itself isn't. Time is irreplacable and unpauseable. Isn't it only fitting that we celebrate such a precious resource?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #26
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I haven't had what I would call a good year since '99. 2000 was alright, but the last 2 have just sucked.

Here's to making this one better...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ever since 1990-91 (the two year period during which my mother died, I had a major abdominal surgery, lost my livelihood, my son suffered a closed head injury and permanent brain damage, I lost my home to foreclosure and my wife left me while our child was in the hospital for 10 months), my years have been sort of frighteningly well-balanced...lots of horrendous things on one hand with lots of incredibly cool things on the other.

For example, in 2001, I had heart bypass surgery at the age of 45, leaving me off work for two months, but when I was again able to work, I was asked to help start what has become a promising and prosperous new company (after quitting my shithole job of 11 years). This is the most radical good/bad differential, but to some extent most of the last decade has been comparable.

I'm not terribly superstitious per se, but if I was, the major event of New Year's Eve/Day this year would leave me largely waiting for the good thing to come along and balance it out.

Oh well...life is learning, right?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Elspode

(slang catiously prepares to word his post so as not to insult Elspode with his joke)

I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. You make my life look easy. I have saved the pic from your site and added it to my "life doesnt suk " folder along with this pic as a reminder of how things could be.

I sincerely hope things improve for you and this guy.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2003, 09:19 PM   #29
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Elspode

(slang catiously prepares to word his post so as not to insult Elspode with his joke)

I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. You make my life look easy. I have saved the pic from your site and added it to my "life doesnt suk " folder along with this pic as a reminder of how things could be.

I sincerely hope things improve for you and this guy.
Ouch...suddenly, my own past misfortunes seem to be in relative perspective. Thank you for the harsh yet well-meant jerk back into reality!

And don't worry...I do actually have a pretty good sense of humor. When you are as misbegotten as I can be, you need it...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:54 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Owie.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elspode's 1st post, elspode's first post