The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Just to tie up a couple of loose ends re the Vulcan.

During the Falklands War, a Vulcan was used in a raids against Argentinian positions on the islands, the first being on the airfield at Port Stanley.

Operation Black Buck had seven planned raids, of which five were completed.

At 6,800 nautical miles (round trip) they were, at the time, the longest range bombing operations in history.

The Vulcan was a medium range aircraft, being designed for attacks on the Soviet Union and other Warsaw Pact countries, consequently an in flight refuelling plan had to be devised.

The raids were carried out from Ascension Island and the attack aircraft was supported by eleven tankers.

Some of the tanker aircraft were used to refuel other tankers so they could transfer fuel to the Vulcan at extended range.

On the first raid, the Vulcan was refuelled seven times on the outward journey and once on the return leg.

There's a graphic showing the refuelling plan here:

Wikipedia - Operation Black Buck.

An animation of the refuelling scheme is featured in this video:

This Ch 4 programme was shown in 2012 on the thirtieth anniversary of the Falklands War.

If you have a reasonably fast connection it's worth downloading.

Last edited by Carruthers; 09-27-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Refuelling ops enumerated
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
On the first raid, the Vulcan was refuelled seven times on the outward journey and once on the return leg.
Say what? OK, heavy bomb load, head winds, stopped for lunch, but 7 to 1?
Oh, I know one way was Imperial gallons and the other way was metric gallons.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The story of the two pilots who managed to get their P-40s off the ground at Pearl Harbor.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Battle of Britain

Why Hitler thought they could win, and why they didn't.

It started in July of 1940, and was intense, but wasn't non-stop. On one day, September 7, nearly 1,000 bombers struck at London. The planes filled a 20 mile wide(32 km), 40 mile long(64 km), 2 mile thick(3 km), hunk of sky. That attack on London resulted in 300 civilians dead, and another 1,300 injured. That's because the Brits were cowering in bomb shelters, instead of coming out with their faces painted half blue, and shaking their fists at the sky, while cursing the bombers, like real heroes.

Quote:
There’s no official end-date to the Battle of Britain, but many historians say it occurred in late October 1940 when German planes switched from day raids to night raids over the cities and Midland factories. This switch in tactics signified that the RAF was winning the battle and was very much in control of the skies.

In total the RAF lost about 1,500 aircraft, the Luftwaffe over 2,000. Compared what was to come, however, it proved to be a rather small affair. The Blitz resulted in over 90,000 civilian casualties, of which 40,000 were fatal.

In the end however, the Blitz changed the complexion of the war, and the resolve of British citizens who saw it as a moral victory. What’s more, it justified the British bombing of Germany and did much to sway the opinion of the war in the United States.
That little dust up changed the face of war forever, now air power was crucial and civilians were not just fair game, but basic strategy. Brutal, but looking at the WW I trench warfare, sending waves of cannon fodder while the folks at home were only following the action in the newspapers, it might have been for the better.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post

The last airworthy Vulcan bomber flies in formation with the Red Arrows RAF aerobatic team at Southport Air Show earlier this month.
I think the Vulcan is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. It has always fascinated me.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Excuse me, is this part of the in-flight entertainment?"

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #22
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They forgot to throw out the anchor on the other side too.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Idk what happened there...Comments were all over the place. He did it on purpose, he didn't do it on purpose. He hit something in the water, he was trying not to hit something in the water.

I checked (a little, very little) and, World Stunt Landing appears to not be a thing.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The early aircraft fired the imagination of millions, and instantly became the best pantie remover since alcohol. So naturally they became a subject of songs, as moon, June, spoon, was getting old. They hoped aircraft songs would spark some adrenaline and spending. Not that everyone in the music business is a crass money grubber, only the ones who control the business half.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Icelandair Boeing 757 in Aurora Borealis livery.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #26
glatt

I have very fond memories of Icelandair. I don't remember much about the airline or flight, but their deal where you can stop over in Iceland for a day to and/or from Europe is a really cool deal. A day to explore another country for no addition cost, especially when the country is as geologically interesting as Iceland is, is a sweet opportunity.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 10-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aircraft abuse, po little plane.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:19 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ima gonna drop this spacey right here.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #30
glatt