The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #46
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they both look tiny. 5"? it'll light your tent up, but not a campsite, I think.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
glatt

The downside to lanterns is that they shoot light in all directions, including into your eyes, slightly blinding you. Do you have a flashlight? If you already have a flashlight, you don't need a lantern. Lanterns can be nice though, especially when they are somewhat directional and you can aim them where you want. I have a solar powered one that can be hung from a cord or a nail or something, and aim downward onto a table. It's pretty nice, but more expensive. Also, headlamps are very popular with solo backpackers, and for good reason. The light shines where you are looking, and you can keep your hands free. I don't care for headlamps in a Boy Scout camping trip because when you say something, all the boys look at you and you get a dozen lights shining in your eyes.

I have this lantern. It's not super bright, but lights up a tent or your table.

But looking for my lantern on Amazon, I came across these that look like they might be pretty good. They are bright and aim down so you aren't blinded. You can charge them at home or put them in the sun to charge. Supposedly they are also a power brick for you phone, but I bet that's BS. Phones need a lot of power.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #48
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The downside to lanterns is that they shoot light in all directions, including into your eyes, slightly blinding you.
You ain't learned the aluminum foil trick yet?! Foil half the Coleman lantern, bam!, directional, non-blinding lantern.

And you call yourself a Boy Scout...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #49
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Smrt

I have a plastic LED lamp that is shaped like a flying saucer. Lights in a ring on the bottom edge, hole in the center. Great for a tent. Or my basement steps.

Eta,

This

https://goo.gl/images/rkH322
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #50
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I have a headlamp and a flashlight. I suppose I can hold off for now. The places I am going first have fire pits that I definitely plan to use. That could be enough for now. The total is still a little over 60 bucks. I think that's reasonable to start with.

Ok, so I'll buy:
- Tent
- Pad
- Crank charger

I still have to get:
- Boots (This month)
- Food (Closer to trip)
- Wood (On site)
- Biodegradable toilet paper

I have:
- Cookware
- Eating stuff
- Blanket
- Pillows
- Flashlight, headlamp
- Camping/Hiking clothes
- Shower stuff
- Bathroom stuff
- Camping chair
- Normal Hiking stuff
- Mini knife

What am I missing? Keeping in mind they're both drive up camping sites with potable water and bathroom facilities.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #51
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

About 25 ft. of nylon cord to string up as a clothesline to dry a washcloth and towel. String it doubled over and you can drape the items between them without clothespins. It can replace broken tent lines, provide additional tie downs if it gets windy, suspend the tent if a pole fails, tie food up out of reach of animals ... etc.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #52
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
About 25 ft. of nylon cord to string up as a clothesline to dry a washcloth and towel. String it doubled over and you can drape the items between them without clothespins. It can replace broken tent lines, provide additional tie downs if it gets windy, suspend the tent if a pole fails, tie food up out of reach of animals ... etc.
Yes - I forgot about that. Added to the list.

I also think I am still going to buy a stove. Nothing too fancy, just for boiling water for when I don't want to make an entire fire too cook
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #53
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I also think I am still going to buy a stove. Nothing too fancy, just for boiling water for when I don't want to make an entire fire too cook
http://a.co/6ZJ519U

You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper stove and this is a great choice for an individual person doing backpacking.

I don't have one personally because I always camp in groups and need a bigger stove, but if you are just boiling water in a small pot for one person, the stove linked above is a great choice.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #54
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
http://a.co/6ZJ519U

You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper stove and this is a great choice for an individual person doing backpacking.

I don't have one personally because I always camp in groups and need a bigger stove, but if you are just boiling water in a small pot for one person, the stove linked above is a great choice.
Sounds good! If I keep it up with car camping, I might look into a portable gas stove or something, but for now, I think this will be sufficient.

I think the only things I am buying that are camping specific are the tent and sleeping pad. Anything else, I can use regardless of my future in camps.

Now, I just have to wait LOL!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #55
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
Now, I just have to wait LOL!
The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part. Tom Petty said so.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #56
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part. Tom Petty said so.
Luckily, I only have to wait until April. I booked my first site for then. It gives me time to practice food and maybe even check out the site before I get there.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #57
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
...Also, dried meals are disgusting and enough to put you off camping for life. ...
There are some really good ones out there. Availability is quite limited; also, you have to know what to look for. They come as entrees only (no side dishes, desserts, snacks, condiments; or, accessories); but, are satisfying and high enough in both protein and calories to constitute a full meal that sustains an active person. They're compactly packaged like a brick and reconstituted in their own packaging. Add hot water and in 10 minutes you have a hot meal (20 minutes with cold water). They are also exorbitantly expensive: with shipping charges they end up costing about $12.50 apiece (sorry for the let down). Just an FYI even though it's not for the typical camper.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #58
Griff
still says videotape

I'm a big fan of Mountain House Chili Mac but yeah, stupid expensive.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

$5.69 from Amazon for a tasty hot meal after running up and down mountains doesn't sound that expensive.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #60
Griff
still says videotape

hmm... maybe I was mistaken on the cost.