The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #76
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
The ties on the side of the tent are for pulling? the side of the roof away from the tent wall. Much like the eaves on some houses. Keeps the water coming down the roof line from running down the sides of the tent. Don't forget to dig a drip line around the tent.

Buy looong tent pegs. Short ones tend to pull out during monsoons. Do you like Fritos? Put some under your tinder for a fire and you can have a blaze with one match. Speaking of such I like wood kitchen matches, but don't buy the strike anywhere type. You don't want your pack catching on fire.
The space between the fly and the tent also keeps the condensation which collects under the fly from getting in the tent.

Sad news to report: The conditions in the ADKs were not suitable for camping this NYEve, so we stayed home.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #77
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Fabric hooks? It might be a gear loft or shelf that goes inside the tent at the top.
Yep. Fabric hooks. I didn't see anywhere to attach it. I got the idea as I was taking it down that it might be something stupid like a wrap for the tent during storage. Ah well, it's so small that it doesn't hurt to take it with me

I don't think I told you all. My car died recently (not the good part), but my brother decided that I would take his car. It's a Nissan Rogue - much better suited for camping IMHO.

I am really looking forward to my first trip in April
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #78
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
The ties on the side of the tent are for pulling? the side of the roof away from the tent wall. Much like the eaves on some houses. Keeps the water coming down the roof line from running down the sides of the tent. Don't forget to dig a drip line around the tent.

Buy looong tent pegs. Short ones tend to pull out during monsoons. Do you like Fritos? Put some under your tinder for a fire and you can have a blaze with one match. Speaking of such I like wood kitchen matches, but don't buy the strike anywhere type. You don't want your pack catching on fire.
Fritos as tinder? Will wonders never cease!

As for matches, how about one of these little doohickies?

My grandfather had one and he seemed to like it.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #79
glatt

The fun thing about camping gear is that there are so many ways to skin a cat.

One of those match storage things is good. I have a similar one somewhere, made of plastic. But in practice, I just have a few random small boxes of matches packed with my stove in a ziplock sandwich baggie. There might be a lighter in there too.

Our boy scout troop carries a small Christmas cookie tin that is full of boxes of matches when we camp. The boys go through kitchen matches like you wouldn't believe. I think they just like playing with matches on the camping trips.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #80
bbro
Insert witty comment here

For fire, I was just going to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Multi-pur...4911206&sr=8-3

Right now, I'm going to store all of my stuff in a plastic tub that I can just haul out when I go.

Remember, I'll have a car for now. If I start backpacking, then I'll get the little matches.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm buying Amazon stock.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #82
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
snip--
I still don't know what these are for, though.

Attachment 62834
Unless I miss my guess, that's the bag to carry the tent in when disassembled and folded neatly and rolled/wrapped around the tent poles.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #83
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
For fire, I was just going to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Multi-pur...4911206&sr=8-3 ...
Butane lighters are fine for warm weather. IIRC, butane liquefies at 45° F. The liquid butane in the lighter won't vaporize so it can ignite if it gets down to that temperature. If you get an unseasonal cold spell, keep the lighter in your clothing near your body so the butane stays warmer.

Zippo type lighters that use lighter fluid (naphtha) will work at lower temperatures than butane lighters, as will matches.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #84
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I'm late to chime in, but I'll offer a few things I have learned. I keep a small fire kit in my day bag. It consists of a Bic lighter, a small ferro, damp light match pack, twine for tinder, and Wetfire fire starters. 99% of the time all you will need is a lighter, but it is nice to have other options. I keep a larger kit with more options in my ruck.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #85
sexobon

There's still a 30 something year old white phosphorus grenade in my ruck originally put there to destroy the gear should it have to be left behind. Someday I'll have to toss it into a campfire.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #86
Big Sarge

I use a GPS program on my phone called OnXMaps. In addition to the standard layers, you can identify public land, private land boundaries with owner names, access points, timber cuts, wildfire data, nautical charts, river stage forecasts, trail slopes and trail mileage, USFS roads, recreation sites, etc..... I think you get the idea. I lay in my routes and build products on my PC, then access it on my cellphone.

Forgot to mention it is simple to drop waypoints, measure your progress, and has an accurate electronic compass.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #87
Big Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
There's still a 30 something year old white phosphorus grenade in my ruck originally put there to destroy the gear should it have to be left behind. Someday I'll have to toss it into a campfire.
I had M14 grenades (Thermite) to use for sensitive item/document destruction. Stack the laptops and then....
Old 01-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #88
Big Sarge

This is my main fire kit that goes in my ruck. Truth be told, it is never used because my small kit always fits the bill.

ferro rod
magnesium bar
lighter
small light
match safe
flashlight
Wetfire - this works great!!
dryer lint - I keep this in a plastic bag. If conditions are truly shit hit the fan, I can mix some of my vaseline (first aid kit) with some of the lint

Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #89
sexobon

I have these 3 fire starters along with other items in my E&E bandoleer and duplicates in the ruck:

A standard 3" Bic disposable butane lighter which suffices in most situations.

A 2¾" (more compact than it looks in the picture) refillable, wind resistant, butane lighter that offers a good grip and robust ignition button that's user friendly even with gloves on. It's good for more difficult fire starting.

You can get the less in demand clear version for a song.

A tough, sealed, naphtha fluid lighter the uses standard Zippo flints and wicks. It'll work at lower temperatures than the butane lighters and will work as a hands free candle for a short time. I actually have the black version; but, those seem to be sold out on Amazon (though it may still be available elsewhere)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #90
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But wood matches are better for biting when they have to saw your leg off.