The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 12-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #91
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Here's my pride-n-joy in her fancy ride...
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #92
Griff
still says videotape

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo CUTE!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #93
LabRat

Woo Hoo! Just bought this yesterday, can't wait to get my bike on it. Now I just need to convince my husband to let me put it in front of the TV...

PS thanks Griff, she is as sweet as she is cute. (must have been switched at the hospital)
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #94
Griff
still says videotape

Despite my riding outside Sunday morning the trainer is doing good work. I just finished another book, while spinning, thats been hanging around here. Winter starts tonight though, hopefully we'll need a XC skiing thread.

from Weather Underground
Forecast for Susquehanna County
Updated: 3:30 PM EST on January 4, 2005
Winter Weather Advisory late tonight through midday Thursday...
Tonight
Cloudy...rain...snow and sleet likely after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows in the mid 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Wednesday
Cloudy with snow likely. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs around 30. North winds around 10 mph in the morning...becoming light and variable. Chance of snow 70 percent.
Wednesday Night
Snow with a chance of sleet in the evening. Freezing rain and sleet after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds around 10 mph in the evening...becoming light and variable.
Thursday
Cloudy. Rain likely through the day. Freezing rain and sleet likely in the morning. Highs in the mid 30s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #95
LabRat

I used my trainer last week for the first time, for 20 min. Wow, I was surprised how much I sweated, at least as much if not more than when I run that long. I thought those little T-shaped sweat catchers were kind of silly, but I see now why they were invented. Since I was warned about the magnetic ones getting so hot as to burn skin, I was curious. After I got done, I felt the magnets, and they were just barely warm. I guess I wasn't going fast enough long enough to really heat up the unit. Probably won't either All in all I am VERY excited about the setup, and glad I made the purchase. Sometime I'll get a shot of our little home gym area, the treadmill, bike, exercise ball and free weights. Not bad at all for a non-contender...
Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #96
Griff
still says videotape

Next thing you know you'll be trolling for sponsors for your world record attempt.

Indisputably the world's best cyclist, Armstrong, the six-time winner of the Tour de France, has been hinting broadly that he might take a year hiatus from the event he has dominated since 1999. He has also speculated that his next goal may be a sporting challenge virtually unknown in the United States until now.

For the rest of the world, however, the Hour Record, as it is known, holds as much magnetism as ascending Mount Everest. The object is for a solo rider to ride as far as possible in 60 minutes on a banked velodrome.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #97
LabRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
banked velodrome.[/i]
Old 02-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #98
Griff
still says videotape

I'm still spinning and I have a new motivator arriving by Fed Ex next week.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #99
LabRat

I am racking my brain about what this might be...guess I'll have to wait till you tell us.
I just read "RAGBRAI Everbody pronounces it wrong" written by one of the two original men who came up with it, and it was a great read. They were just average joes (like those of us here) who decided what the hell, lets ride across the state. Very fun read. I liked it a lot better than the other one I just finished, Cycling for health, fitness, and well-being by James McCullagh. He is a great cyclist I am sure, but his book was a little to full of himself for my liking. I really didn't learn a whole lot reading it either. Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited by LabRat; 02-14-2005 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #100
Griff
still says videotape

Besides Armstrongs "Its not about the bike." I really liked "The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers and the Cult of Human Power" by Hugh Culley. Neither book has anything instructional to say about cycling but they both open up different worlds.

New motivator!

Old 02-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #101
Griff
still says videotape

Here's the story. I've been hunting for a new XC machine on and off since last fall. I worked in a bike shop during my undergrad years so I know the sales game and I kinda know bikes. Since I worked in a shop, I have had a bias towards using bike shops rather than the internet for bike purchaces. Unfortunately, when I went into my local shop looking for a new ride the sales guy tried to sell me what they had in stock not what they could get. The bike he was pushing was a middle of the line Trek that was set up not for XC but rather for nothing in particular. The riding position was too upright, the top tube was too short and too high, and the components were crap. Having broken my confidence in their shop, I started poking around on the net and found a lot of quality machines for much less money. The bike I got is a last years model KHS Comp ST, which I got for about $200 dollars less than the Trek. Way more bike for way less money. The on-line guys built the bike, set it up, took it partially apart for shipping, and sent it to me no tax or shipping charges. As far as service goes, most XC riders do their own maintenance anyway because its part of the fun and isn't exactly rocket surgery. So now I'm one of those evil on-line purchasers who is killing the old bike selling paramacallit.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #102
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Sweet new ride G !!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #103
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks man. I finally got to the point in the last couple years where my old bikes capabilities were holding me back. I was getting dropped on downhills and dropping folks on flats and ups so now I have a ride that can descend at speed... I'm definitely breaking a collar bone this summer.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #104
LabRat

Nothing perks one up like something NEW to play with, fun! That shop is helping to put itself out of business by not providing the customer the service they deserve. Don't feel guilty about being intellegent and picky! Congrats on the savvy purchase, and here's hoping none of your injuries are too serious
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #105
Griff
still says videotape

Some of my trail is still snow covered but I still got a nice ride in today after noodling around with the youts on their machines for an hour or so. The compliance of the rear suspension suprised me and it was a little noisier than I anticipated. I think the rear suspension gave me more traction on steep climbs and I know the front gave me more control on twisty downhill single-track. I can't wait to get out again!