The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

What magazines do we read?

Off the top of my head, I get National Geographics, Liberty, Dirt Rag, Discover, and Mother Earth News delivered. My present favorite is Liberty. Its got a great sense of humor, touches the untouchable topics like the War on Whatever and tries to keep the LP honest, while providing lots of book reviews and the random cartoon. PA based Dirt Rag is the only decent mountain biking mag out there covering stuff, wrenching, rides, some fiction, coffee and beer. Sometimes they get caught trying too hard to be edgy but if you mtn bike check it out.

edit- oops fergot to put my copy of Fine Homebuilders on the coffee table before we got visitors.

Last edited by Griff; 09-17-2002 at 07:44 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

This may be one of the few places where I can encounter other people whose reading habits are as eclectic as mine!

For me it's the New York Review of Books, Scientific American, Premiere, KMT (devoted to Egyptian archaeology), and Maxim. I dither about subscribing to Animerica, which I buy about once every other month. And I used to subscribe to Sky & Telescope before child-related sleep deprivation caused me to give up astronomy as a hobby.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
Tobiasly
hot

Um, Maxim and.. Maxim. Yeah, what broad horizons, huh?

I got more and more fed up with the liberal slant of most of the informative magazines that I just gave up on them. Now I get my news from the internet.

I don't mind reading others' opinions and viewpoints, as long as it isn't passed off as news that I'm paying for.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Print is dead.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

Heheh. Yeah, i'd rather do my reading online. But I do read 2600 magazine.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:31 PM   #6
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarger
For me it's the New York Review of Books, Scientific American,
SciAm is a pale shadow of its former self...subscription revenue wasn't cutting it and it's been overhauled to have more "newsstand appeal". The result is only a few cuts above <i>Popular Science</i> sometimes.

The same thing has happened to the Franklin Institute Scence Museum here in town. It's not about science anymore, it's about show business.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

I'll pick up Fine Gardening, Northern Gardener,and Horticulture for the sexy pictures and composting articles. (helps me through the long winters)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:59 AM   #8
LordSludge
Geek

Just Grassroots Motorsports (auto racing for real people) and I suppose SportsCar, although every SCCA member gets that and I don't read it much.

Good question -- come to think of it, I used to get a ton of magazines, but the internet has replaced most of that.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:47 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
I got more and more fed up with the liberal slant of most of the informative magazines that I just gave up on them. Now I get my news from the internet.

I don't mind reading others' opinions and viewpoints, as long as it isn't passed off as news that I'm paying for.
Yah, after dumping Newsweak for the reasons above and their reliance on unnamed sources which just makes them the tool of whatever administration is in, I rotated through the other two majors and finally just went with the net. Now I choose my own brainwashing like my trips over to Lew Rockwell

If its been dumbed down so much, maybe I should try SA again.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:18 AM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

At the moment, about the only print magazine I read regularly is Cooking Light. I had a Sports Illustrated subscription not too long ago, but let it lapse.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 AM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

I'll sometimes grab the Utne Reader in the checkout, that often leads to interesting things on and off line.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:39 AM   #12
russotto
Professor

Analog -- though the latest issue is weak.

Science News -- the redesign sucks visually, but at least the content hasn't changed

Reason -- Sorry, Nick, but Virginia Postrel was 10 times the editor you'll ever be. Now can you get off the culture kick and get back to substance?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:54 AM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

SciAm is a pale shadow of its former self...subscription revenue wasn't cutting it and it's been overhauled to have more "newsstand appeal". The result is only a few cuts above <i>Popular Science</i> sometimes.
Yeah, I've found them less interesting. I may go back to Science News. (I had a trial subscription to it for a while which I didn't keep cause I didn't have time to read it at the time. My wife had worked in a science library some years back, and she said, "Oh, I didn't know real people subscribed to Science News.")

Quote:
The same thing has happened to the Franklin Institute Scence Museum here in town. It's not about science anymore, it's about show business.
Yes, we've been members for several years... I'll certainly not argue that many of the exhibits were worn-out. But I've been bothered by the trend to replace "hands-on" exhibits with "high tech" stuff that results in more watching and less participation. (I'm also disturbed by the fact that the gift shop continues to stock "name a star" kits. According to the FI's president, whom I wrote on the subject, it's just harmless fun and nobody takes it seriously.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:05 PM   #14
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

American Rifleman- because it comes with my NRA membership.

The Economist- because tw isn't the only one.

Utne Reader- because it's better than Mad, even if it doesn't have the little fold-together thingy on the back cover.

Foreign Affairs- because I like the free coffee mug, plus it looks spiffy on the table in the living room.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:21 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

At the moment, the only thing we get is the Cable Guide. At one time, I had subs to Rolling Stone, Spin, Vibe, Details, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Maxim, and SI. (And almost all at the same time, too.) I might start new subs to RS and Vibe though...I learned about so many different bands through those magazines, and I'm feeling out of the loop these days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote