The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-31-2002, 09:48 AM   #16
dave

Eh, you missed it. The point of that being that it's a whole lot easier to look at those we don't know as less than human.

If you haven't heard Arabs and Afghanis being referred to as "sand niggers", you haven't been listening.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:51 AM   #17
juju
no one of consequence

Whenever I hear this line of logic, i'm reminded of the song that goes: "You're so vain, you prob'ly think this song is about you."

It's not about America. They don't care about us. They care about their stupid little piece of land.

Every action they take is in accordance with their needs. We are in their way because we are militarily supporting Israel, who destroys their homes and kills their families. If someone destroyed your home, and killed your families, you would hate them too.

Think about it. Noone is going to become a suicide bomber because they're offended by your way of life. They do it because they are at war over land.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:52 AM   #18
Nic Name
retired

Why Do People Hate the USA?

Quote:
People, in my eyes, try to delve into the minds of these people too much. You can't diagnose hatred.
Yeah, who asked the question?
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:53 AM   #19
downside
a shadow in the dark...

I have heard it. I just don't see the point in using it. It only makes those that do use it look more like the idiots that they are.

And your point, even though slight lost by your racism, is taken. there are times when it is easier to look at people as less than human. But here is the difference: They look less Human now that they've attacked us. We only look less Human to them because of the way we live.

Had they never attacked us, there beliefs, although strange, wouldn't be questioned.
downside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:55 AM   #20
Nic Name
retired

The world changed on 9/11, it didn't start then.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:58 AM   #21
dave

Heh. There's no racism here. Just a fuckin' cracker that loves his freedom of speech. Ask my brown friends - there's not a hateful bone in my body.

There is a point about racism, though, which you're obviously still missing. The simple fact of the matter is that a lot of Americans, especially those in the heartland, find it exceptionally easy to dismiss arabs, Afghanis, etc. because of their color. I know it because I have heard it and I have seen it. Popular support is high for a war against Taliban, al-Qaeda, etc, in part because of the color of their skin and their different way of life. Don't lie to yourself and say it's not there, because it is. I have seen it in moderate people who, consciously, do not care about the race of others. You can hear it in the way they talk and see it in their eyes - race is a factor.

[ Edit - it occurs to me that this statement is slightly inaccurate. There <b>is</b> a hateful bone in my body, and it's reserved for people that use that goddamn JavaScript that denies a right click on a webpage. I always right-click -> Back to go back a webpage, and when I get that goddamn popup.... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I <b>hate</b> that! ]

Last edited by dave; 05-31-2002 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:01 AM   #22
downside
a shadow in the dark...

Must be a Southern thing.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:06 AM   #23
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by downside
They look less Human now that they've attacked us. We only look less Human to them because of the way we live.
This is wrong. We attacked them first by supporting Israel. Our best friend, who we loan weapons to, is killing their families and burning their houses. How exactly are the supposed to feel?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:08 AM   #24
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by downside
Must be a Southern thing.
Come the hell on. Open your eyes.

I live in Northern Virginia, which is pretty much the melting pot of the east coast. Everyone lives here, because it's the fasting growing area in the US, and everyone wants a piece of the pie. I see it in people here. I see it in people in Maryland.

It's part of the way people are raised. They can't control it, but it's there.

When the planes hit the towers, what did you think?

Well, I work with professionals - computer programmers, Ivy League-educated managers - and I saw it there. Everyone (and I do mean <b>everyone</b>) assumed it was Arabs. Now, they were correct. But that doesn't matter. The assumption is what's important. No one was thinking "a bunch of white guys hijacked some planes and flew them into some buildings". No one was attacking Christians the night of and day after the attacks, but some Muslim, Hindu and Sikh dudes were getting beaten up. Why? Because they're brown.

Nevermind that there are terrorist organizations too - the predominant sentiment was that Arabs had hijacked planes and flew them into the World Trade Center.

Yeah, must be a Southern thing. Quit kidding yourself.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:09 AM   #25
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112

This is wrong. We attacked them first by supporting Israel. Our best friend, who we loan weapons to, is killing their families and burning their houses. How exactly are the supposed to feel?
Wank wank wank. Hebron Massacre, 1929. Kay, thanks, buh bye.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:11 AM   #26
LordSludge
Geek

Yes, we Southerners hate Javascript!

Guessing language is a bigger factor than skin color, per se. It's so much easier to de-humanize a people when everything coming from their mouths sounds like gibberish. Still racism, in a way...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:12 AM   #27
Nic Name
retired

It's an American fascination with the "n" word, which is now tolerable in the USA if used after the word sand.

Yeah, why do they hate US?

They envy our dual processors and our freedom of speech.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:14 AM   #28
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

Wank wank wank. Hebron Massacre, 1929. Kay, thanks, buh bye.
Dammit, why are you forcing me to use google at this ungodly hour? &lt;g&gt;
Old 05-31-2002, 10:16 AM   #29
dave

I don't speak with anyone using it seriously, but when one is quoting (even without quotes), I don't see any problem.

Unfortunately, if you're gonna support free speech, you have to go all the way. I don't like it when someone calls me a "one eyed bastard" but I have to support their right to do so. Offensive speech comes from all corners; it's a part of life.

The point is not in the word, though. It's not about "sand nigger", per se. It's about realizing that a sizeable portion of the American public does not look at our enemies as people. It's easier to look at a man who died as a sand nigger than to think that he was a son, a brother, a husband, a father...

Don't focus on the word. Focus on the problem - dehumanization.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:19 AM   #30
downside
a shadow in the dark...

I agree that the US, in supplying weapons to our Allies, we must look like an enemy. But still, to attack an office building? That has less to do with politics and more to do with hatred.

If you want to strategically stop the US from sending weapons to your enemy, you physically hit the planes, trins, and automobiles (John Candy not included) that are bringing them. Don't attack our families that have little to nothing to do with the problem. This is what happened.

So now, the reverse has happened; rather than sending weapons and not fighting ourselves, we are doing both. We give weapons to their enemies and now we are attacking them. they now have two forces to deal with. Hatred or not, that was a stupid move.

And tell me to open me to open my eyes? Why, because I refuse to refer to my friends as "browns"? Aren't you late for the rally?