The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The problem I have with a lot of the belief systems around reincarnation and also other kinds of afterlife come to that, is that they always sound so...I don't know...human I think. Going round the life death rebirth cycle, learning each time what you need to learn or haven't learned, always sounds so procedural and bureaucratic to me.

Theyalways sound to me like very human ideas and concepts of how to systemize and organise activities.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Do you ever have feelings like you've lived another life or an affinity for something you don't understand but it's there?

Going out on a limb here.

Yes, I'm a firm believer in reincarnation.

No, I don't believe that I was Napolean Bonaparte or other such historically significant figure in a prior life.... or a fighter pilot.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

Hey bro. Tell us more.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Let me be careful with my wording here....

It seems very likely to me that a prior life was in Nazi Germany opposing Nazis, as a middle aged man. Probably killed as a political prisoner and not in any military service.

It also seems likely to me that a prior life was in Viet Nam, Laos or Cambodia during the war, as a teenage girl. Fighting the Communists with violence and ruthlessness. Possibly tortured to death at about 17-18 years old but died violently.

How have I come to believe that these lives might have been possible? Not through any individual or group's suggestions but through experiences that are too complex to describe right here and now.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #36
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I want to believe it.

When I read Brian Weiss's book, I believed it. Its just as likely as any other possibility, so why not?

I used to have glimpses of sighting a sniper rifle through the fog... But that could be a remembered dream.

The thing that makes me think it could be real is when I meet someone new and already know them.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #37
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Hmmmm, I dream the same dream everynight. It isn't a past life experience, but actual events that occured on a certain day in 2005. I'm envious and I want to believe in something
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #38
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Two things:

=- The fact that everyone WANTS this to be true is, ironically, the main reason we know it isn't. We share the stories and the dreams and the desires of this world, more than the reality of it.

==- (The good side: we also share the apocalyptic beliefs of this world in a weird attempt to prepare for the end of it. So if you don't believe in reincarnation, you probably also don't believe that the Mayan calendar predicted an end to the world. It saves one a ton of worry!)

=- The universe does not owe you meaning or any explanation out of your existence. So when you say that a rational explanation can't be true because it means life is meaningless, this is like saying your cat can't be orange because it wouldn't match your maroon couch.

==- (The good side: you don't have to look hard to work out meaning if you look for it. I find meaning in trying to improve the lot of mankind. I find meaning in leaving the world a better place than when I arrived.)

The advanced reader is encouraged to read Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus" or at least the SparkNotes. Or at least this paragraph:

Quote:
The book ends with a discussion of the myth of Sisyphus, who, according to the Greek myth, was punished for all eternity to roll a rock up a mountain only to have it roll back down to the bottom when he reaches the top. Camus claims that Sisyphus is the ideal absurd hero and that his punishment is representative of the human condition: Sisyphus must struggle perpetually and without hope of success. So long as he accepts that there is nothing more to life than this absurd struggle, then he can find happiness in it, says Camus.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A third thing:

=- Our mortality and the mortality of our loved ones is horrible and we do not wish to ponder it, but the fact that our lives are finite is something we should find meaning in.

There is a cookie that says: Life is like pinball; you bounce around, and then you drain. Life would not be the marvelous... gift, that it is, if it were everlasting. You would not play pinball if there was no open area for the ball to disappear.

The fact that it ends is something that we should find more meaning in. We get our shot, and that's it. That's what makes our time here valuable -- at all.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #40
DanaC

Nicely put Undertoad. that was great. Especially the Sisyphus bit. I had heard that a looong time ago, but forgotten.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #41
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

=- The universe does not owe you meaning or any explanation out of your existence. So when you say that a rational explanation can't be true because it means life is meaningless, this is like saying your cat can't be orange because it wouldn't match your maroon couch.

:
Also, this is so well put!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thank you D!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Life is not a "gift" for everyone.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #44
DanaC

Life is all that there is. Gift or curse, there isn't an alternative.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #45
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Rational? What does it mean? Empirical evidence? Mathematics? What I happen to believe is true?

You know what I truly believe? I truly believe that whatever the individual believes is true for them. If you get a nothing after you pass, Tony, that is what you expected and what you get. I do not believe that. I believe the soul goes thru many incarnations until it has learned a/the lesson or does not wish to return. To believe in five senses only, to see thru a mirror darkly-----what about Plato's cave? I am not alone in thinking this is the dream and the real life is elsewhere.

You take a superior tone with me here. At least I hear it. your beliefs are as valid as mine---orange cat/maroon couch notwithstanding. :P (that's a true raspberry, btw, not a fake one)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote