The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Park Service breaks its own rules to approve creationist Grand Canyon text

Quote:
Park Service breaks its own rules to approve creationist Grand Canyon text

Michael Roston
Published: Friday January 26, 2007

The National Park Service, the federal agency that oversees national parks, has courted controversy by approving a text that uses creationism to describe the origins of the Grand Canyon. An article at Reason magazine now reveals that the service has likely violated its own rules in approving the book for sale.

Ronald Bailey, Reason's science correspondent, points to National Park Service Director's Order #6, which states: "The interpretive and educational treatment used to explain the natural processes and history of the Earth must be based on the best scientific evidence available, as found in scholarly sources that have stood the test of scientific peer review and criticism.... Interpretive and educational programs must refrain from appearing to endorse religious beliefs explaining natural processes."

Following from this directive, Bailey notes that in the year the Park Service approved Grand Canyon: A Different View (2003), which says that the canyon was created during the Biblical Flood 4,500 years ago, 23 other books were rejected for sale in the park's bookstores. With this in mind, he argues, "The existence of a formal approval process that is not based on just commercial calculation implies that the mission of park affiliated bookstores is primarily to educate visitors about the Grand Canyon. By approving this book, it would seem that the NPS is violating Director's Order #6 against 'appearing to endorse religious beliefs explaining natural processes.'"

At the same time, Bailey reveals that some details of the press release from the group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), which first publicized the creationist book, were incorrect. Park rangers were permitted to tell visitors how old the Canyon is, and regularly do so.

Bailey's full article can be read at the this link on Reason's website.
An earlier article.

This is sick and sad... We have to get conservatives out of the government.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

This is pathetic. Get religion out of secular activities.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
rkzenrage

You know it.

Amendment 1 (1st for a reason)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, an agreement signed between the United States and the Muslim region of North Africa in 1797 after negotiations concluded by George Washington (the document, which was approved by the Senate in accordance with Constitutional law, and then signed by John Adams), it states flatly, "The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." signed by John Adams
Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Plus, it's just fucking stupid. Just plain fucking stupid.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Why do you hate God, Flint? He loves you.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
rkzenrage

Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think there's just far too much religion full stop in the US. You should all just try being a bit more godless like us Aussies.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
rkzenrage

I don't care how much, as long as it is kept the hell out of ALL State functions and away from ALL State funding, in ANY way.
No matter what.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Ah, but if there is no religion involved in government, it won't be like John Lennon's Imagine; there will be major revolts in several states, such as Texas. Especially Texas.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
rkzenrage

Then good riddance to the revolters.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
cashc
Aggregate Aggravator

Well honestly I can't see the reason why people are getting into such a huff about it. If you wan't to go find out the origins of the grand canyon google it. Seems to me like it's just a complaint against religion not the Park Services role in allowig this to happen. Didn't seem to me like their were any religious fanatics demanding that this be done.
cashc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
rkzenrage

A very ego-centric way of looking at it.
Many are there to learn and teach their kids, this could throw a huge monkey wrench into it.
Also, Google is just as rife with misinformation as their store now is.
Separation of Church and State is a founding ideal of our nation, huff worthy. BushCo. are traitors yet again.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, cashc.
It's not a "complaint against religion" because they are entitled to believe what they want, and write about it. The Park Service is supposed to steer clear of religious interpretations.
When I first heard this story, some time ago, it was obvious someone(s) higher up, either in the Park Service or above them in the Federal Bureaucracy, wants this religious view pushed.
That's illegal, immoral and fattening.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
rkzenrage

As a member of the FMC I am pushing for equal time...
The canyon was created by His Noodly Appendages dragging the ground.
All hail the pasta Yaaarrrrrr!