The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Censorship, Yo

I don't know if there's a censorship thread but there likely is but I haven't seen anything about one since I've been here so here goes.

Yesterday I was listening to a local pop radio station (B96 96.3) and there was this guy, probably sounded like 35 or mid late 30s? Yeah. Which is weird cause I thought he'd be at least a decade older, based on his opinions. He was calling into the station to give a complaint. I don't know how he initially got through but yeah, he did and it was aired, and he talked to the host saying "I'm here to tell you that I don't like what you're doing and I think you should stop because it's irresponsible. My daughter is 10 years old and you have too much adult related material flowing through you're station."

The radio DJ replied with "I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm going to keep doing whatever I want because this is my job and this is how it's done. Don't you think it's more of YOUR issue as a parent that you kid is listening to it?"

The guy was like "No, this is on public radio and the level of indecency you have is disgusting and filthy and they should kick you off the air. You have kids listening to this stuff all day."

The DJ was like "Ok, listen, I give you the time of day to complain about me and even let you be aired and you're telling me to get kicked off the air? It's parents like you who don't know how to set restrictions or limits, just don't let her listen to it."

The rest of the dialogue consisted of the guy saying "I want to leave a message to your manager" and the DJ saying "Ok, this is the B96 manager leave your message after the---BEEP!" The guy then attempted to record his message but was interrupted by slightly mocking song snippets such as "Milkshake" by Kelis (unfamiliar? Make you're own interpretation).

As a kid raised in a household where I couldn't even see Forest Gump when it was released and couldn't watch the Simpsons until 7th grade; I was definitely in the fighter's corner for the DJ. Since I was so sheltered as a kid, I myself personally believe it is better for to have a realistic interpretation of life, not of some butterscotch happy go lucky hold hands utopia that doesn't exist. And I don't think sex in media, pro wrestling or violent video games are harmful to culture and society. Personally, I am against censorship. If I don't want to watch it, I won't. In this case, listen to it. Simple as that.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

They've started editing out drugs and anything related in songs just like shit, fuck, etc. on the radio around here. Example: the new Nickleback song went like this yesterday: "The girls come easy and the _____ (drugs) come cheap . . . Everybody’s got a __________ (drug dealer) on speed dial . . . Gonna pop my ____ (pills) from a pez dispenser". I've never been a fan of radio censorship, but this is just getting stupid.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

I happened to be listening to an FM station when Alanis Morisette was played, you know the one: "another version of me, is she perverted like me? will she <obvious, awkward blank spot> in a theater?" ...they don't even bother to dub in replacement lyrics like they used to.

Edit: Have you ever noticed how many songs there used to be about having sex with underage girls? What about Pink Floyd calling to "get 'em up against the wall" or Lou Reed saying "colored girls" . . . ...Can an artist produce their best work, while afraid of being offensive? [/random thoughts]
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 07-14-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Every radio I have ever owned has had a a control on the operation panel, called a tuner control. Some times it is a knob, or a button, if you don't like what your are hearing change the F___king channel. If that don't work turn the thing off.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Apparently parents don't want to parent.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Apparently parents don't want to parent.
Bingo! Too darned many people today want to sit back and have everything done for them. This society needs to re-learn a bit of personal responsibilty.
Uisge Beatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Ok... not my ususal... but, people are idiots.
The more you shelter your kid the more you ENSURE they are going to do drugs and fuck someone who they should run from as soon as they meet them.
If you have that impulse, you should just go ahead and give the the speed-ball and crack-whore now, get it over-with.
Fact, just a fact.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Concerning video games (duh it's me) Joseph Lieberman and Jack Thompson are douches and know nothing about video games.

Fucking bologna.

Last edited by Jeboduuza; 07-15-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Jeboduuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
rkzenrage

People who blame music, movies, video games, etc, for kids behavior crack me up.
I assume they are idiots.
I am correct.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Bullitt

"Trained on X game" What a load of shit. Anyone who has ever shot a gun can tell you it is nothing like playing a first person shooter video game for God's sake.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Tell me about it Bullitt.

Here's a snippet of Jack from Wikipedia.
Quote:
Thompson's "high-profile crusades" have made him an enemy of video game aficionados.[60] On occasion, Thompson has sparred directly with the gaming industry and its fans. In 2005, he wrote an open letter to Entertainment Software Association president Doug Lowenstein, making what he described as a “a modest video game proposal” (an allusion to the title of Jonathan Swift's satirical essay, A Modest Proposal) to the video game industry: Thompson said he would donate $10,000 to a charity designated by Take-Two CEO Paul Eibeler if any video game company would create a game including the scenario he described in the letter. The scenario called for the main character, whose son was killed by a boy who played violent video games, to murder a number of industry executives (including one modeled on Eibeler) and go on a killing spree at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Video game fans promptly began working to take Thompson up on his offer, resulting in the game I'm O.K - A Murder Simulator. Afterwards, he claimed that his proposal was satire, and as of May 2007, he has not made his proposed donation.
Freakin' lil bitch can't own up, what a tool.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Bullitt

That's hilarious Jeboduuza

"Manchurian Candidate children".. this guy is on another planet
Old 07-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I don't really have proof for this but what I've heard is that violent video games are not healthy for very young kids because they will pick up on it but once they get older it is actually a release so they will actually be less violent by playing them.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
People who blame music, movies, video games, etc, for kids behavior crack me up.
I assume they are idiots.
I am correct
*Nods* clearly they are idiots who've never watched a small group of children play make believe. Most children like a healthy dose of gore and fear in their play and in their imaginary worlds. Fairy stories are dark; darker than any video game. We are much more squeamish about that stuff when we become adults.

A 'normal', well adjusted kid can cope perfectly well with the concept of fiction. They learn it very early on (can't recall exactly, but I think it's around the age of 3). The only kids likely to be drawing real-life lessons from their violent shootem-ups are kids who are probably going to act violently or in a disturbed manner, regardless of what they watch/play. Even if they mirror an actual game in their actions: that just means (imo) they've taken their theme from that game; the decision to act violently is entirely separate from the choice of theme.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #15
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I don't really have proof for this but what I've heard is that violent video games are not healthy for very young kids because they will pick up on it but once they get older it is actually a release so they will actually be less violent by playing them.
I heard potatoes have eyes but I doubt they see well underground.