The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 12-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wasn't this round when the school cherry picks outstanding athletes, science competition champs, math stars, for the glory of alma mater, before some other school scoops them up? Most likely any student who isn't nationally know and has schools recruiting them, wouldn't make this cut. A bonus is passing muster as being their level of student.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #62
Griff
still says videotape

As a student athlete she does need to look very carefully at the academic supports the sports program has in place. Is the department stable and well lead? I've been getting to know another Vet fencer whose son was a highly recruited athlete but a poor student. The kid boozed his way out of a certain blue and white program during a time when the department and his program were in turmoil. I'm guessing your daughter is serious about her studies but as an athlete she will be working harder than everyone else on campus, make sure she'll be supported.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #63
glatt

Sorry.

Harvard is overrated.

Last edited by glatt; 12-12-2014 at 07:33 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #64
monster
I hear them call the tide

well it's bad and good. bad that she's not in, but good that she's not rejected either. It means she's not one of the shooting stars that catches their eye but she isn't unrealistic in her application/hope. Now we're just in limbo until final decisions in March/April. There are no athletic scholarships -just financial need. athletic prowess is just considered as part of your overall well-roundedness. You are not going to get into an Ivy as an Olympic swimmer with the brain of a jellyfish. No, we didn't think it was over-rated, we really liked the whole school and atmosphere when we visited. Brown on the other hand.....
It looks like now she should be writing then a letter saying "I still really want to come. here are the awesome academic and extra-curricular things I've done since I submitted my application..." to which she has the All American she can add. so it ain't over but it ain't over either.....

On the positive side it looks like she has a good shot at a full scholarship to her back-up/emergency stand-by college (Michigan State). We should hear U of M (for which she also did early app) in the next week.

She's putting in 3 more apps for the regularly-timed process this week and then we're done done done. And poor poor poor. and we wait wait wait until spring
Old 12-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #65
glatt

Yeah. Harvard is obviously a good school. I was just trying to be.. I dunno, something. Supportive, I guess.

I hope it works out.

It's freaking awesome that she's probably getting a full ride offer at Michigan State. As a someone in the middle class, that would really speak loudly to me. You still have two more to go, and if you can save some money on the first one, you'll have more for the next two. Gotta balance that with what's best for her, obviously.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #66
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Sorry.

Harvard is overrated.
For instance, this douche bag is one of their profs, And that wasn't his first rodeo.

It's been said before but these days a bachelor's degree is the new HS diploma, and in the job market it doesn;t net you many more opportunity than a HS diploma.

I think the master's program is probably more important.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #67
monster

Definitely not poo-pooing the State thing for sure. She learned today that all but one of her friends who did early apps to prestigious/selective unis got deferred and the one who was admitted is a complete douche but president of the NHS. So she feels in good company. Glatt, I hear you, but most of the ivies would also be pretty much a full ride for us too. Apparently we're poorer than we thought
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You still have two more to go, and if you can save some money on the first one, you'll have more for the next two.
Or if they all get scholarships, you can lounge around Tahiti for quite awhile with that money.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #69
monster

in to Michigan. She doesn't really want to go there, but it's more prestigious than State and a great confidence boost
Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From the NY Times;
How to Survive the College Admissions Madness.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #71
monster

beest and Hebe are filling in the additional FAFSA faff. And all the extra shit each college requires. There may be blood before bedtime.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #72
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
beest and Hebe are filling in the additional FAFSA faff. And all the extra shit each college requires. There may be blood before bedtime.
Ahhh, the good ole days. Save EVERYTHING. Big Brother may come knocking in the future and want every shred of paperwork/info from them.
(been there done that)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #73
monster

yup. my entire input was "print everything. Because the internet will be down when you need to check what you put...."
Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #74
monster

and the result is ...none of the reach schools accepted her. So it'll be Michigan or Michigan State
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Which is not a bad thing at all.