The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #16
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
*voodoo eyes* You hate money, Glatt. You want to send it all to dar512.*/voodo eyes*

Sounds like you are way too open to suggestion, G.
Yeah, maybe. Or maybe I just ignore stuff and then see it when people point it out.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #17
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I mean why not diss Bobby Flay instead?
Flay sucks. And not even well.
He is a one-note song with no originality or depth of knowledge.

Oh, and I also can't stand Gadia Delaurentis, Paula Deen, her kids, or that abomination Sandra Lee. Barefoot Contessa has an annoying laugh.

Tip of the hat to: Mario, Alton Brown, Sara Moulton, Iron Chef (original).

That enough of a stand for ya?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Bobby Flay is a cocky bastard.

I have a love/hate relationship with Rachel Ray. I have made a few of her recipes and they turned out well. Yes, they were easy, but that's what I was looking for - easy and good. Rachel Ray's pork tenderloin for 8 from 30 minutes or less is spectacular. People are usually very impressed when I make it.

Rachel really pissed me off on $40 a day when she went to Durham/Chapel Hill, NC. She didn't go to any of the best spots. BUT what pissed me off the most was that her afternoon snack was a bag of Cracker Jacks at a Durham Bulls game. A BAG OF CRACKER JACKS!!!! I was appalled. I love Durham Bulls games, but when I go to them, I have a Katie's Pretzel - a local staple. You can get Cracker Jacks anywhere. I was so pissed at her for that.

Oh, and on $40 a day, she never really takes a real bite of what she's eating.

I love Paula Dean - I make a lot of her stuff because I like to add a southern flair to things. I love Alton Brown because he is so funny and his recipes tend to be pretty good, even if I don't have a kitchen aid mixer decked out with flames.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

I miss the Two Fat Ladies.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
I miss the Two Fat Ladies.
I LOVED their show!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, she doesn't cheat, doesn't have pre-made food waiting in the oven that is pulled out just minutes after the uncooked version has gone in. She's one of the few on television actually cooking in the time she says she does and I respect that, regardless of the smiles and cheer that might be a bit over the top.

You want to dislike one of the chef personalities on television? How about the New England wannabe-cajun Emeril Lagasse. Nothing makes a cooking show suck like cued audience cheering with each addition of butter/garlic/alcohol and the endless use of pointless buzz words. Never try replicating any dish this man creates. Whatever takes an hour on television thanks to the help of a trap door in the back of his oven and a full kitchen crew behind the scenes will take you four.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Right after my post I sought solace in a few stoned wheat thins and cream cheese with capers and who is on the box in four colors, but what's her name?

Her perkiness is not so apparent in the still photo, the crackers were good.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #23
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Our most popular tv chef at the moment is Gordon Ramsey. His speciality is telling people to fuck off.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #24
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Our most popular tv chef at the moment is Gordon Ramsey. His speciality is telling people to fuck off.

Hell's Kitchen can be amusing summer fare, and I do watch very occasionally his show on BBC America where he still swears a lot but there's a lot less humiliating of others.

I liked RR before there was this hideous national explosion of exposure. Usually Mr Fargon and I will just refer to her as "Perky Girl" when checking the Food Network lineup.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao
I first disliked Ms. Ray when I watched an episode of $40 a Day. It was really the show concept that pissed me off the most--I think it encourages cheapskate travellers to tip measly, if at all--so I probably would've hated any host of the show.

Then I saw her interviewed on a talk show, and the pitch and manic speed of her talking literally gave me a headache. I don't know if she was nervous (how? She has something like five shows) or popped a pill backstage, but I couldn't keep watching.

I assumed that she is not much of a cooking expert, after I read a synopsis of Iron Chef and saw that she had to be paired with an actual chef to compete. I guess the point was to draw in her fans to watch; nothing wrong with that.
If you can't tip decently, you CAN'T AFFORD IT!
She is an asshole.
I miss Paul Prudhomme.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 12-07-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

Sob. I miss Justin Wilson
Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #27
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Flay sucks. And not even well.
He is a one-note song with no originality or depth of knowledge.

Oh, and I also can't stand Gadia Delaurentis, Paula Deen, her kids, or that abomination Sandra Lee. Barefoot Contessa has an annoying laugh.

Tip of the hat to: Mario, Alton Brown, Sara Moulton, Iron Chef (original).

That enough of a stand for ya?

Did you see the show where he goes out to a base and does a cook off with the captain there? Another chef came out to judge it and gave the win to the captain serving with our troops of course. He lost gracefully. Of course he had to!

I actually found the link to the exact episode I am talking about.
http://www.slashfood.com/2006/07/21/...n-with-steaks/
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #28
Pie
Gone and done

He seems to be losing more often than not on the "throwdown" show. Maybe that'll teach him a little humility.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #29
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Maybe that'll teach him a little humility.
yeah, that was a great episode.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #30
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I admit, I've never seen her show. I just bought her first book, before she really blew up, and sneered at her overmarketing.

But I have to admit, if she does cooking in real time on her show, then I'm moderately impressed.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote