The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

Hi! You don't know me so you can take my input with a grain of salt.

First off, congratulations on graduating law school. I'm starting law school in September and would love to hear about your experience.

Second, looking for jobs always sucks. It can be demeaning and demoralizing. Nothing feels worse than sending out a jillion resume's and not hearing a single word back from anyone. Runner up to that feeling is getting a form letter back saying Thanks, but No Thanks. And then there's the feeling you get when you go in for and interview and then get called back for a second and then a third and just when you're feeling like you've got the gig, again, Thanks, but No Thanks.

My advice is just like everyone else's - keep at it, don't take the rejection personally, and don't be afraid to decline any offers you don't feel good about. Along that line, stay optimistic and always keep in mind the worth and value you bring to the table.

Good luck!
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:13 AM   #17
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Good luck, Mouse on the whole law school endeavor... you may not want to talk to me about it right now - as you're probably really excited about going and still have the energy to think that its going to be a great experience. I'll gladly share, but understand that after finishing, most of us are very bitter and jaded.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
...understand that after finishing, most of us are very bitter and jaded.
That is so true for so very many professions. By the time I was working as an RN, I knew I'd made a terrible mistake. It happens. You learn. You move forward and you're actually better for the pain you went through. You know what sucks about being a human being? It seems pain really does shape our lives...hm. Curious.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But They told us if we went to college and got a degree in a good subject that we would be ok for life.

That's what They said, and They are still saying it, because it's more difficult than the truth: nothing is guaranteed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Methinks you refer to a Billy Joel Song---"Allentown"--ah, yes. We're livin' here in Allentown...

PS--"they" all lie.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I dunno, I thought They had begun to say that even with a degree, you would find yourself waiting tables with the other doctoral candidates.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:05 AM   #22
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

Warch, Undertoad's parents hooked up in Champaign-Urbana also.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

My brother starts law school this fall. I hope he ends up doing something he's proud of rather than just cashing checks. At the moment he feels like he's paid his dues to humanity, having taught at-risk urban youts for some time now. What you've learned is of value to some outfit somewhere. Now you just need to find an outfit you value.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #24
lookout123
changed his status to single

wild... i hooked up in champaign-urbana too. a couple of times. no kids resulted though.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #25
melidasaur

Apparently, Champaign used to be fun...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

i used to spend alittle time there from 97-99, so it wasn't that long ago. it couldn't have changed that much, could it?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
Hemlock
May Ter Dee

You shouldn't be so mean to Mr. Saur. He seems like a nice guy. It can be easy to blame him for the problems, but I am sure he is having a hard time with the situation as well, and is trying his best.

Do you hate him for any other reasons?
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #28
melidasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
You shouldn't be so mean to Mr. Saur. He seems like a nice guy. It can be easy to blame him for the problems, but I am sure he is having a hard time with the situation as well, and is trying his best.

Do you hate him for any other reasons?

I don't hate him at all... I'm usually just jealous because he's always better than me at everything.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #29
melidasaur

I interviewed for my dream job last Friday and found out today that I didn't get it.

Back to the drawing board... or monster.com or the classifieds.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #30
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
I interviewed for my dream job last Friday and found out today that I didn't get it.
Back to the drawing board... or monster.com or the classifieds.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know that sucks - a lot at first. I recently went through the new job search thing, and so far, I think I've ended up where I'll be happy. It can happen. Hang in there and don't give up! ("What's meant to be will happen...") Good luck!

Last edited by Brett's Honey; 08-12-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote