The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Coloring; Colorizing; Colorization

What ever you call it, adding color to old photographs, whether Black & White, sepia toned, or some other half-toned process, is sure to raise howls of protest from purists. The debate will never end, but I don't see the problem in playing with a copy as long as the original is unharmed. Even photographs of great historical significance.

This picture of Mata Hari, from 1910, prompted such a discussion bitch fest. I like it in full color. The color brings out the detail, makes it more lush, and of course it's boner better.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Walter Cronkite and one of the bomber crews he covered as a war correspondent. On D-Day he flew in the nose bubble of Shoo Shoo Baby but the clouds were so thick they couldn't find the target and had to turn back. Normally they would have dumped the bomb load blind over enemy territory, or over the channel if there was a danger to the French civilians, but they were under strict orders not to do that because of the 82nd and 101st paratroopers on the ground and wall to wall ships in the channel. So they had to land in the mud in England with a live bomb load.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

With an open fly?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A lot depends on the skill of the colorist and the lighting of the original B&W. A high-key film noir would probably suffer from the attempt at colorization as would all of Ansel Adams's work, for example.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I first posted the colour version of this image in the Aircraft thread back in January.
I thought that it might be worthwhile posting it again with the B&W original alongside.

Name:  HP 42 B&W.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  135.4 KB Name:  Handley Page HP42.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  162.7 KB

Quote:
A British aircraft belonging to Imperial Airways is refuelled at Semakh, Palestine (now Israel) in October, 1931 during British rule. Transformed from a black and white original, the photo has been brought up to date by a skilled teenager working out of his bedroom. American student Jared Enos (18) from Rhode Island confessed he never had an interest in art, but found a connection with "colourisation" and the reviving of old black and white photographs.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I always wonder, are they randomly guessing on the base colors (like the blue lettering,) or have they done their research to figure out that it really was some shade of blue?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I thought maybe the minute differences in shades of gray may give clues as to what the actual color was.

Maybe it's just the experience of the colorist's eye...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  116.3 KB

There is some additional photoshoppery going on here. Guess they couldn't figure out what color that stuff should be.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

There is some additional photoshoppery going on here. Guess they couldn't figure out what color that stuff should be.

Well spotted, sir!

You might be interested in these photos of the western US taken between 1864 and 1910 and converted by the same chap.
The article doesn't show the B&W image but the coloured versions are eye catching to say the least. LINK.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
glatt

The whole process is kind of interesting. I think some of the colors are wrong. The distant background is fairly green, but I think it is winter time from the heavy coats. It should be gray in the distance. Also, there is what appears to be a puddle to the right of the guy with his back to us, and it is colored brown. I thing that is ice from something dripping in a puddle and freezing, so it should be more of a whitish gray color. Not brown.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think the background is fog, but yes, greenish. I also think the "puddle is a patch of snow/ice with sand/dirt blown on it. The difficulty of picking out these details is exactly what's lacking in old B&W pictures, but they did show what they intended for you to see, the main objects.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
You might be interested in these photos of the western US taken between 1864 and 1910 and converted by the same chap.
Very cool. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can't get to that link, must be some kind of flash or something.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
burns334
High Propagandist

When I was a kid one of my friends mom use to color b&w's at home, all portraits as I remember. She used a q-tip and I thought she did a great job but I was 13 yrs old
burns334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Attachment 57198

Attachment 57199

There is some additional photoshoppery going on here. .
Exactly my thought -not the bit you pointed out particularly but it's just not "right"