The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #331
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's my turn. Not all today, but I'm still healing from 1/3 of my misadventures.

1 -- I have a new (to me) truck, details to follow. But it's got an automatic transmission and having put a couple hundred thousand miles (alllmost) on the VW Golf, I've rowed through a lot of gears. Anyhow, I was driving it home the other day, a really pretty day, I was kinda tired, kinda relaxed, listening to the music, not the news, and as I approached the stop sign, I reached for the clutch with my left foot. Obviously there is no clutch pedal. But the regular step down on it motion, in contrast to the usually much more delicate footwork with the right foot brought me a BIG surprise when my big foot caught the corner of the brake pedal. UURRRRK. screeech. thump. Only my pride and my neck suffered and even then not terribly, but it was kind of an idiot move.

2 -- I don't know much about this truck, it's new to me as I said. And the owner's manual gives some ... moderately detailed diagrams to help the owner distinguish which engine is in the truck, the 3.0 liter V6 or the 4.0 liter V6. Turns out I have the 4.0 liter, but I didn't come to that conclusion until after I'd branded the side of my hand against the exhaust header. Like that city slicker visiting the horseshoe making blacksmith, it doesn't take me long to check out a hot header, but definitely long enough to leave a mark. I looked for a picture, couldn't find one. Just imagine a dumb person with a burned hand. That'd be me.

3 -- For SakuraCon this year I was working on my costume. One part of it involved drilling some small holes in couple of stainless steel mixing bowls. I don't have a vise big enough to hold a bowl, so I just held it in my lap. As I'm pressing down on the concave surface of the bowl with... moderate pressure, I was blithely unaware that the drill was pointed right at my crotch. That is until the drill slipped and I tried to stab myself in the femoral artery.

Idiot.

Name:  IMG_9060sm.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  228.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9062sm.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  190.3 KB
Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #332
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

#1 - been there, done that, many times because I own multiple vehicles but primarily drive the automatics. Also braking without pushing in the clutch, but that's not as embarrassing because it's less noticeable by other drivers.

#2 - Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, burning the equivalent of probably two complete sheets of body covering skin.

#3 - Not that way, but drill, grinder, a saw wounds for sure.

#4 - My pet mechanic trick is working underneath, bang my forehead on the vehicle, jerk my head back and bash the back of my head into the ground, then jerk my head up and you know what happens. My record is two complete cycles without stopping.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #333
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Thats a nice picture of your nuts.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #334
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A buddy once let a belt sander rest on his thigh for a moment while it was running down. Grabbed his jeans, his thigh skin, and anything within reach and dragged it all into the machine. Left a hell of a mess.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #335
Griff
still says videotape

jesus...
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #336
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #337
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
jesus...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes?
Baby: My God, Gravdigr.

Me: I know it seems that way sometimes, but I'm just a man, Baby.

True Story™.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #338
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If ever there were an idiot:

Not This Again! (A Handy Reminder)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #339
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A hand-y reminder?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #340
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #341
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

She had 3 kids it the wagon until one screamed so much she moved it to the car before she was stopped. She said she was doing 5mph, witnesses say 30.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #342
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

W. T. F.

When you've lost your damn mind, this is what it looks like.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #343
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ladies and gentlemen of The Cellar, I give to you our Idiot of the Day:

Name:  cantbethatstupid.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  80.3 KB

Trying to inflate her tire w/a fire extinguisher.

Can ppl really be that stupid?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #344
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The camera might never lie but it can sometimes mislead. Consequently I was slightly uneasy about posting this here.
At the same time, I didn't think there was much mileage in a thread entitled 'Somewhat Misguided Person of the Day'.
So Idiot it is.

Name:  There I was....jpg
Views: 202
Size:  70.6 KB

Quote:
A passer by took this photograph after he was horrified to see a woman stopping for lunch on a chunk of cliff on the verge of shearing off at Seaford Head, East Sussex.
Thousands of tonnes of chalk fell to the beach below last summer.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #345
Griff
still says videotape

Not a relaxing moment.