The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #196
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Probably not. There are very significant differences in how you deal with a mentally ill person vs. someone with Alzheimers ... things like sundowning, and constant complaints that "people are breaking in and stealing my things, and then breaking in to give them back" are not common to mental illness ... neither is truly random combativeness, and misidentifying people as folks from their pasts.

It's sad, and I've worked with some folks who are actually senile but come into the mental health system because there sometimes isn't anywhere else to go ...

I expect that there are some books on Alzheimers/Senility/Aging and coping with it, but I haven't run across any ... I probably should, as I've noticed some memory and attention problems in my mom, especially over the last two years or so.

I'd also recommend that your mom start looking into Alzehimer's Units in nursing homes near your uncle's house (there's one near here with the tagline "Specialty Living for the Memory Impaired"). Tell your mom to chat with other nurses, particularly pool or float nurses. They will absolutely know where the good and bad places are.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #197
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Just finished DANGEROUS MUSE a life of Lady Caroline Blackwood ( she was married to Lucian Freud, Isreal Citkowitz and Robert Lowell) and GREAT GRANNY WEBSTER, by Lady Caroline Blackwood. Good stuff. I love titled, crazy, alcoholic, bi-polar stories. They are sooooo interesting.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #198
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse
Hiding behind a Belgian Chimay

Does 'Forum' count?

An excerpt: "I never thought this would happen to me and I dont know if anyone'll believe it, but it really did! My regular pool guy must have been sick because he sent two 6' Amazonian women to clean my pool, instead..."
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any point. Bigotry, ideologies etc. block the ability to receive; robotic reality-tunnels block the ability to decode or integrate new signals; censorship blocks transmission." -Robert Anton Wilson
Mr.Anon.E.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #199
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I blazed through the new one and discovered that I had missed several background details. Turns out I skipped the previous book. So while I enjoyed the Half Blood Prince, it was also full of spoilers for the Order of the Phoenix. I'm reading and enjoying it anyway.

I'm a slow learner. The Order of the Phoenix is spoiler packed for those among us who haven't read The Goblet of Fire. *sigh*
Old 08-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #200
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

"Forums for Dummies"
Old 08-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #201
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. It's an odd novel of vampire lore.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #202
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm reading my third book in as many days--not because I read them very fast, but because the first two sucked so hard I didn't get more than 30 pages in. Both were loaned to me by a friend, which is a shame because up until now I had trusted her taste in books.

The first was Kushiel's Dart, and the second was Sunshine. They were both horrible.

I'm having to re-read one of my favorite books now just to remind myself that it's not me, I haven't suddenly lost my ability to enjoy books or something.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #203
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Let's all read, um...Hardy's TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES!

Or, if that is too much of a drag, we could all read some Hawthorne--Young Goodman Brown or Rappaccini's Daughter. Get us ready for Halloween!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #204
Griff
still says videotape

Just knocked off Snowcrash. um... wow
Old 08-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #205
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

yeah. that was cool.

edit: linkified for Brianna

Last edited by BigV; 08-12-2005 at 05:36 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #206
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

mmmm. You guys either know more than I do--or LESS.

What are you yammering about? Snowcrash? Is that, like, some sort of Sidney Sheldon thing????

—James Barrie

Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #207
Griff
still says videotape

Stephenson
Old 08-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #208
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Obviously, I canna keep up. I'm only on the 1950's...so...much...lit...kulchar...

*cough* *cough*

dramatic death...and

eyeliner.

*gasp*

—James Barrie

Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #209
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. It's an odd novel of vampire lore.
I read that! It was a great first novel - I can't wait to see what she'll do next.
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #210
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble

The first was Kushiel's Dart,

Just curious - why didn't you like Kushiel's Dart? Was it too much like a romance novel for you? I did like that book as well as the other two in the series.
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books