The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #46
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #47
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

hm. Can't tell from that shot. But the aperture of 5.6 is not a super wide one that would normally be associated with such a shallow depth of field.

Miniature mode is an in-camera effect that simulates the effect of a tilt-shift lens, blurring the foreground and the background. We've seen it here a number of times. It makes wide angle shots, like landscapes (real landscapes) look like little models.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #48
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

So, unpacking the cheap ass tripod that came with my bundle, the plastic handle that cranks it up and down was snapped off. bummer, right? Also, there was no cover on the universal shoe where you mount the flash/external mic.

so I emailed amazon customer support, and they offered to either refund the whole amount if I returned the package, or refund 15% off the total sale price of the package.

um... quick math.... 15% > $220... I'll take door #2, Bob.

so now I can go out and buy a $200 tripod! that's awesome.

+1 to Green's Camera World or Amazon.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #49
glatt

Amazon customer support is amazing. They just didn't want to deal with the return. They would probably have to resell the camera as a refurb, and would have taken more than a 15% loss on that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #50
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

wtg on the discount.

I've never gotten a new camera that came with a hotshoe cover. Is one listed on the packlist? I've checked and can't find any indication that one is included; I even found a page that indicates that Canon says one is not required. Just curious.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #51
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

No, and looking at the picture, one is not shown. I guess I can afford to buy one of those too. bonus. seems like it ought to come with one.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #52
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've never seen a cover for a hot shoe. Didn't know there was such a thing.

ETA: One more thing to lose.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #53
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Re: Hot shoe cover 60D ?? Official statement from Canon
In reply to aus_pic_hunter, Dec 3, 2010
Putting in a plain hot shoe cover will activate the wee switch that tells the camera that there is something mounted in the hot shoe (prompting it to start communication with the flash and also stop the pop up unit from activating and fouling on the attached unit before it opens properly). So a standard cover will confuse the camera and disable the pop up flash unit.
If you want to use one though, you have a couple of options - the first is just to use one as is, remembering that it disables the flash, so you will need to remove it when you want to use the pop up. The second would be to modify a standard cover so that it doesn't activate the switch, looking at my 400d the switch is on the front of the right hand rail (looking from the back of the camera) - so by removing the front 2/3 of the right hand lip on the cover will allow you to put the cover on the shot shoe, while not hitting the switch and deactivating the flash.
At the same time I would be tempted to say 'why worry' - when I first got my camera and noticed the covers on Nikon and other cameras I had the same thoughts as you - if they need it then surely the hot shoe can be easily damaged otherwise they wouldn't bother including it, therefor I will need to protect mine in some way.
I will admit that I never got around to sorting out a cover, and came to the conclusion that they are fairly pointless and not really needed - in the 4 years of owning my 400d and dragging it about, stuffing it in bags and generally making sure it is well used I have yet to have damaged the hot shoe, which is proof enough to me that making sure it has a wee cover plate is somewhat pointless and probably only going to result in me losing the plate anyway.
Well, that's one less thing to worry about
Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #54
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Congratulations on your new camera! - The Canon 70D is in my sights too, though I have a 60D since summer 2011 and don't want to replace it so soon.

The main point is, that the AF has improved significantly in the 70D.
The best thing in both is the articulating screen, wouldn't want to miss it ever.

If you have any questions, here is a very nice forum for all things Canon photography:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Good luck!

PS: The expensive thing about (D)SLRs is not so much the body, but the lenses and stuff: Gear Aquisition Syndrome
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriveyn View Post
The expensive thing about (D)SLRs is not so much the body, but the lenses and stuff: Gear Aquisition Syndrome
Ain't that the truth. I've got a Nikon with thousands of dollars worth cost of lenses sitting in the closet.