The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #91
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Oh, but you could plant the seeds of change in their minds by being really, really charming...oh, wait, never mind.
Being the Bill Cosby of Queer Nation? We have the Fab Five for that.

But "planting the seeds of change" in the minds of religious fundamentalists? Puhleeze.

But in fact, there's a kernel of truth at the core of that idea, strategically.

Demonstrating loudly for "gay rights" has given rise to the misperception of a "gay agenda for special privileges and recruiting our children"...and while Pride Parades full of leather boyz, topless dykes and rollerskating crossdressed nuns are fantastic for building a sense of community within the Gayborhood, they're not the best PR for disarming homophobia and fostering acceptance outside the Ghayto.

The US population as a whole isn't quite ready to embrace the idea of giving queer couples the same rights as straight ones. They're one hell of a lot closer than they were twenty, (even ten) years ago. Today it's not unthinkable for queer couples to live openly as queer couples in many areas...it's going to take a few years with that level of tolerance before the culture as a whole will be ready to take it to the next level, after living down the street for a while from that queer couple (who maybe even show up at the pistol range on third Saturdays) who turn out to be not all that different from "us normal folks".

"Affirmative action" and "hate crime" legislation reenforces the idea that what queer folks want is special privileges rather than equal rights. This is not a sensible part of a "charm offensive".

All that said, I intend to continue to be prepared to defend myself from any attacker...be they queerbasher, jihadi, or just a neighborhood crack or ice addict, and if that's not "charming" enough, too bad.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #92
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
sweet!

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 AM   #93
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
It isn't like we're seeing signs of growing fascism and restriction of public freedoms in our country right now.
That sentiment is not visibly based on actual anti-fascism in this country. It is visibly based on anti-Republicanism, and it's too specious to take me in. Tell me, are you forbidden to buy killing tools and ammunition to feed them in your city? If you're part of the armed electorate, you're part of an electorate that is about as powerful as an electorate is likely to get.

Quote:
It isn't like we aren't trying to force other countries to do things according to our principles. And even if we are, it is for our own good, our own security.
If other countries did follow our principles -- the real ones, so no hollering about this piece of foreign policy or that, if you please -- they'd be one hell of a lot richer, happier, and more peaceful than they are now. In short, they'd be successes instead of sores on the global body politic.

Addressing your second sentence there, what is so damned wrong with the principle that a republic of, by, and for the etceteras would prosper best in a world with more republics so constituted, so conceived and so dedicated? A good many of the oh gag me, it's a neocon set seem to find some problem here -- but explain their actual objection? Never in a million years! That's because their root objection is that they're fucking fascists and the necons not only aren't, but are actively after exterminating the fascists/communists/antihumanists/rabid bloodsuckers. This prospect gives the fascisto-commies a very uncomfortable case of bunched panties and seatcushion sucking. Well, every bit of the shame is all theirs. They could have been real democrats, but they chose to fuck it up.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #94
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Don't get me wrong...both Dems and Republicans suck, in equal measure, in somewhat differing ways.

If the Dems were in power, I'd be dogging on them as well. The Constitution is the solution, folks, not the politicians.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #95
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay, I can get behind that.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #96
MaggieL

And as we all know, small arms can't down a helo. Even if you shout "Allahu akbar!" afterward. Or "Wolverenes!"

Furthermore, "A pistol is what you use to fight your way to your rifle"-- Clint Smith (Lather, rinse, repeat until you've worked your way up to an arm that isn't too small. See FP-45, OSS Stinger during WWII)

Actually, the politicians *are* a solution....but they're a solution to the problem of "somebody has to run this thing", and that solution does generate more problems of its own.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #97
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not exactly....a friend of mine asked a PA State Police chopper pilot, where you would aim, (hypothetically, of course) to bring down a chopper with a rifle/pistol. The pilot looked at him in amazement and said, "At the pilot".

But, my point was "stockpiling ammo" has it's practical limits. I try to keep at least 10k round cases of the common stuff, plus a variety of other calibers. The fact remains, however good your plans and intentions may be, if you become a pain in the ass to the government, they'll eliminate the problem(you) with a precision sledgehammer.
They work on the asking forgiveness rather than asking permission theory, except they don't ask forgiveness.

Uh oh, it's Saturday night.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #98
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Uh oh, it's Saturday night.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

It's a beautiful evening. The first day in a month or two we've had the windows open all day.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #99
Flint
Snowflake

It's actually raining. It didn't even rain here when Katrina hit.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 08-12-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #100
MaggieL

Quote:
But, my point was "stockpiling ammo" has it's practical limits. I try to keep at least 10k round cases of the common stuff
10,000 rounds of any caliber is quite a bit more than a "case". Typically a "case" is 1,000 rounds of pistol caliber ammo, although it may be packaged in 500 round cases, as rifle caliber is.

(We did a video shoot for "In Bed With Butch" for WYBE today...should air on October 19, he tells us. If I wasn't paying off a wedding trip I might well have come home from the range with a shiny new semiauto AK47)

Anyway, you wouldn't wanna try to lift 10,000 rounds of anything.

One person who's a pain in the ass to the government is eligable for the "precision sledghammer" treatment. A whole bunch of such people (quite a bit more than, say, a Waco's-worth) is an "insurgency".

Despite the story liberal twits will try to sell you, this *is* still a democracy (modulo the fact that it's actually a republic).

I'm sure your friend has thought about that quite a bit...helo cops that do survellance for pot farms are frequently shot at. In fact all kinds of helos are shot at; the guy who owned the airport where I learned to fly once brought his Jet Ranger back with a bullet hole.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #101
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
In fact all kinds of helos are shot at;
They fly low, are loud, and fly over populated areas. They bug me too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 AM   #102
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
10,000 rounds of any caliber is quite a bit more than a "case". Typically a "case" is 1,000 rounds of pistol caliber ammo, although it may be packaged in 500 round cases, as rifle caliber is.
Ha Ha Ha ...yeah my bad, I really have to learn to proof read, having the spell checker has made me lazy......er, lazier.
1K(1000) typically, except the 7.62x39 is 1400/case.
Quote:
I'm sure your friend has thought about that quite a bit...helo cops that do surveillance for pot farms are frequently shot at. In fact all kinds of Helios are shot at; the guy who owned the airport where I learned to fly once brought his Jet Ranger back with a bullet hole.
I used to think people should have to eat what they shoot, until I realized we'd soon run out of stop signs.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #103
MaggieL

Quote:
I used to think people should have to eat what they shoot, until I realized we'd soon run out of stop signs.
And some cops would be even worse shots than they already are.

Doing that video shoot for "In Bed with Butch" we discovered a new kind of "Shoot-N-C" target from Birchwood-Casey, the brand is "Dirty Bird". Nice, and not dreadfully expensive.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #104
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

The "shoot n C" targets were a major breakthrough. I love 'em. I had almost forgotten how aggrevating the old kind were. I wish they would give you more than 4 black circles per target. Yes. I reckon I am a cheap bastard...heehee...

The ones I use splatter a super-bright flourescent yellow/green.

Last edited by capnhowdy; 08-13-2006 at 03:47 PM.
capnhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #105
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
The ones I use splatter a super-bright flourescent yellow/green.
Dirty Birds are printed on a heavy plastic coated white paper. They cost about half what the standard Shoot-n-Cs do, but only splatter white. Just as visible though.