The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #286
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Can you pawn a jawn?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #287
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We don't take jawns this old. There's just no resale value on it. We're only taking them if they are two years old or newer. I'm sorry I couldn't help you today.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #288
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Thass wassup
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #289
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
I've never heard "jawn" but I'm all about ozay:
http://www.comedycentral.com/video-c...-on-the-street

That's more about dotnose and kangamangus, but I couldn't find the clip about the genesis of ozay.
Probably:
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #290
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Today I took a guy, and felt good about it.

Dude comes in with an iPhone and says it's an iPhone 5 and he doesn't need it any more.

It's not so easy to immediately tell the difference between an iPhone 4 and a 4S. The 5 is larger, so you can see that. So I know it's a 4 or a 4S. I say no, it's just a 4, and then I turn it over and look at the model number.

The model number is in very small type, at the bottom of the back of the phone. This one is A1387, which means it's a 4S.

So the gentleman has stated that the model is the latest, but told it was a 4, he didn't question it.

The gentleman does not have a charger cable, and the phone is not charged. I explain that we can't buy the phone without starting it to see whether it works, and can I charge the phone for 10 minutes? Sure. I take it to the back where we have an iPhone charger. But after 10 minutes, it isn't charged enough to boot. This means it's probably not holding a charge.

I return to the guy and show him the not-charged-enough symbol, and say with that sort of problem we can only buy it in for $40. I insert into his mind the idea that all pawn shops will have the same policy. He takes the phone back and then -- turns around, and says, well we might as well do that.

I knew he'd do the deal. He either stole the phone, or he found it somewhere, maybe even discarded due to its bad battery. He doesn't know what it is. He doesn't have the charger that any legitimate phone owner has. He doesn't know it couldn't hold a charge. He doesn't know that a dead battery is not a big deal.

This phone currently sells on eBay for $300 in "For Parts or Not Working" status. Chances are 50-50 that the cops will come looking for it -- but since it doesn't hold a charge, they can't power it on to see if it comes up with someone's information.

Dude is a criminal or at the very least a terrible liar. I took him for every penny I could, and I was proud.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #291
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh and if it was stolen? Because I took the guy, the actual phone owner can pay less to get it back, or have a better chance of getting it back via restitution once the guy is caught and charged.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #292
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This phone currently sells on eBay for $300 in "For Parts or Not Working" status.
No shit? Mine works fine, but is just a glorified iPod right now. I will be hitting up eBay this afternoon
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #293
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh my gawd Pawn Shop Toad you are soooooo hot and smart and hot and stuff. I want to sell you all my iPhones and computers and maybe even a solid silver spoon and some pooky and stuff. And I gar-0n-tee it's all 100% real and not stolen...top o' the line, you know. :pant:

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #294
glatt

I had no idea they were worth that much. You see ads for the new iphone 5 for $200 with a contract. And for the 4S for $50 with a contract. You forget how they screw you with the contract.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #295
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
No, actually I don't. My butt still hurts from the last time.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #296
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

do what you got to do.

----Hannah Mckay; Dexter's love.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #297
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Tony...they say buyers are liars. Sellers are worse. Fuck anyone who judges you for beating a crook. He lost nothing. Anyway, a fool and his money were lucky enough to get together in the first place.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #298
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The danger of working there is dealing with a constant flow of dregs. Like cops that deal with ghetto thugs every day, you risk getting your humanity eroded away little by little, day by day.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #299
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Tony...they say buyers are liars. Sellers are worse. Fuck anyone who judges you for beating a crook. He lost nothing. Anyway, a fool and his money were lucky enough to get together in the first place.
I don't feel that Tony "beat a crook". It was a transaction - Tony made an offer, the guy accepted. Done deal. He didn't have to accept the offer, but he did. I don't think Tony did anything unethical.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #300
glatt

In this case, I agree, since the guy was a crook. But if my mom went in and tried to sell something, and the person working the counter lied to her about what she had and paid her less than it was worth, I'd think that was unethical. But I have no problem with taking a crook.

It's the lie about what the item is that makes it unethical. And the price depends on the lie. If you can negotiate a good price without the lie, there is nothing unethical about that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote