The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

July 1st, 2019: Glass Gem Corn

Happy Birthday Canada!!!!

I had a little trouble grasping this because we had Indian Corn for decorating when I was a kid, but I guess these stay
transparent, like glass beads, when dried.

Quote:
These multicolored kernels of corn that look like glass beads belong to a specially bred variety, aptly named Glass Gem Corn, and they can be actually grown from seeds. Glass Gem corn was developed by Carl Barnes, a part-Cherokee farmer living in Oklahoma, who noticed that every so often, a cob showed signs of unusual coloring shining through. Barnes collected and saved those seeds, and thanks to his uncanny knack for corn breeding and many years of painstaking effort, Glass Gem corn was born.

Quote:
When Barnes approached old age, he bestowed his precious seed collection to his friend Greg Schoen and also shared with Schoen the process of breeding the Glass Gem corn.
Google street translate
– It got me off on those lonely nights but failed to produce an heir, so now I’ll dump the whole results of my “precious seed” on Greg.

Quote:
In 2010 Greg decided to move. While moving, he made the determination that he needed to find someone to store and protect his seed collection so that it didn’t get lost or ruined in the moving process. He decided to store the seeds with Seeds Trust, a small seed company in Arizona, ensuring Barnes' spectacular collection of Glass Gem corn seeds wouldn't face the risk of getting lost when he relocated.
Google street translateI’ll avoid the hassle of moving this corn crap by storing it.
No, that would cost me money until the expense overwhelmed my conscience. I’ll find a corn lover to dump it on.

Quote:
Curious about the seeds with the peculiar name of Glass Gems, Bill McDorman, owner of Seeds Trust at the time, decided to plant a few of the seeds in his own garden. He was amazed at what the seeds produced.
"I was blown away. No one had ever seen corn like this before,” McDorman told Native Seeds/SEARCH, a nonprofit organization he founded to protect and preserve the agricultural heritage of Native Americans.
The organization now sells Glass Gem seeds through its website for $7.95 (£4.90) per packet, although they are so highly sought-after that they are frequently sold out. The corn can be used to make flour or popcorn, although it is not recommended to eat it straight off the cob.
Just decorate with it, don't eat it unless you must gobble Carl Barnes "Precious Seed", ya sicko.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Gems, indeed!
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If the popcorn was multi-hued, that would be awesome.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the popped corn would be white.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There's still some color...
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But when she reaches way down in the box she'll probably forget all about color... and popcorn.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

You got an itch that needs scratching B?
Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can scratch the itch, it's the unrequited love that's killing me.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But when she reaches way down in the box she'll probably forget all about color... and popcorn.
Punchline:

I can't, it's eating my popcorn![/punchline]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
and we swing back to Hustler I see.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote