The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #466
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You guys are sooo funny.

tl;dr
So. I'm done, I used superglue to solidify the loose end, it's working I've been riding and shifting and enjoying myself.

Long story long:

I watched your video Griff, thanks. Did you see the sample shifter cable at 2:50? That's what my cable looked like, they put different cable ends (I have temporarily forgotten the name of these anchors at the ends...). The end that matched my shifter was the kind where the cable entered the cylindrical anchor along the axis of the cylinder, so I cut off the other one where the cable entered the anchor perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. AT THIS POINT, I have an irritated, uneven, sharp tipped rope to push on. The guy in the video just completely finesses this point, maybe his cutters are super awesome and finish the end just super, super clean. Mine do not. Pushing that cable end through the labyrinth of the twist shifter, then through the hole in the ferrule, through the hole in the opening in the cable housing, through another ferrule, then through another ferrule and cable housing and ferrule was just a few bridges too far (I have one of those bikes that omit a section of cable housing in this middle, ala bikini style versus one piece).

I got the cable and a needlenose visegrip and put that cable end in the flame of my new stove, celebrated elsewhere. I didn't want to bother worrying that my little 15watt soldering iron wouldn't get the cable hot enough. The stove sure as hell did, it was cherry. And the solder just beaded up and dripped off. Bastard. So... I thought I'd try lead and got a fishing weight and rubbed a shiny groove in the weight with the hot cable. Same result. Grrr.

I then tried some superglue. It is thin enough to not add any appreciable bulk to the end of the cable, and it wicked nicely into the strands of the cable. This seemed to work, because I then re-cut the cable through the little half inch stretch I'd painted with the superglue, like you'd cut a stranded rope through the tape you put on it so you wind up with two taped ends. Anyhow, this did do the trick and I finally got it through the last two ferrules and the last cable without opening any windows.

For the record, I had been using the bike as a one speed, there is a bike shop two blocks away, you can spill a latte without hitting a bike shop, but probably not two lattes. And it did snow last week here, cold in the morning but clear and beautiful in the afternoon. One more thing, I've never repaired a light bulb filament, but I did successfully shorten and reconnect the heating element of my electric drying twice before I ran out of patience and filament.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #467
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you leave us on the edge of our seats, chewing our nails, getting ready to call the Seattle PD, for three days. Fuck it, we don't need you to have fun.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #468
Griff
still says videotape

I'm so buzzed from my ride today. The winter pounds are coming off, trail conditions were perfect, and people were happy. I was onto the big ring a lot today. At one point I was working this tight track down a washout and realized I was pulling a Michael Jordan with my tongue. Do not! Always keep tongue behind teeth while riding. Entered the flow state quite easily today. Younger guys were pulling off giving the crazy old bastards the line. Sweetness.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #469
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Buzzed, oh noes.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #470
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Um, how bout NOPE.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #471
glatt

I just read in the obituaries that the godfather of the Schwinn Stingray just died. The guy heard of this new trend some of the kids in California were doing, pimping their bikes, and he pushed the idea through at Schwinn, against everyone's advice. It became Schwinn's best seller.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #472
Griff
still says videotape

Those were pretty sweet. I had the Philly Sales knockoff. Beat the crap outa that thing. good times
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #473
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

schWING!!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #474
chrisinhouston
Professor

I had a Raleigh. Not sure it it was this model but pretty close. I do remember the gear shift lever! I think mine was a bit earlier model and had the same size tires. Oh and mine was red, not pink!
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #475
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Twil and I are going for a bike ride now! We're gonna cover a section of the Burke-Gilman trail starting at Gasworks Park and heading north.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #476
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You need Growlers.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #477
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Interesting design. No front brake, rear disc break, looks to be a beer jug in the carrier, and a nasty-looking pinch point between the front of the seat and the cross bar.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #478
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A Growler is a beer jug. The purpose of the bike is to carry the Growler.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #479
Griff
still says videotape

Never trust a bike not made of triangles.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #480
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You need Growlers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
A Growler is a beer jug. The purpose of the bike is to carry the Growler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Never trust a bike not made of triangles.
Griff, relax, we used bikes made of triangles.

xoB, get out of my head. We used our bikes made of triangles to visit The Lake Trail Taproom. I had four glasses of water and a Hoppy Bitch while Twil enjoyed a Ginger Cider, both icy cold served in frosted glasses (a mug for me and a brandy snifter for Twil), and both on tap. Please note in the description that the entrance to the taproom is immediately on the trail. I hung our bikes on the wall and walked in with my pannier and helmet. We were right at home. I give it five frosty stars!

Here's our route. The link opens the map at the turnaround point, the Lake Trail Taproom. Zoom out to see the whole route.