Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #541
Griff
still says videotape

Go Mom!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #542
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

...and for Mom of the Year... the envelope please... Clodfobble!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #543
monster
I hear them call the tide

Excellent. Great work. You -as ever- have me in awe of your resiliance, resourcefulness and just general go-get-em-ness.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #544
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

CLOD KICKS BUTT

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #545
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I expect you've seen Elana's Pantry Clod, but maybe others following this thread in search of information haven't ...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #546
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes, both Elana and Ali are regular bookmarks of mine. Next in line to check out is Karina, but I only have so many hours in the day to slog through blog archives.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #547
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yes, both Elana and Ali are regular bookmarks of mine. Next in line to check out is Karina, but I only have so many hours in the day to slog through blog archives.
It's not so much that I think you need to know this stuff, as that this thread may be a useful resource for others treading your path .. here's another link, to "Gluten-Free girl ..."
And, by the way, Clod did I ever tell you that you're a marvellous, MARVELLOUS wonderful mum? Huh? Did I?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #548
monkeytaco
Banned

My daughter wants to be a nun!
monkeytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #549
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Thanks, to all of you. I get uncomfortable when people start trumpeting my mothering skillz, because really, I'm not that amazing. At least I don't think I am. It's like lumberjim said, I'm plenty dysfunctional just like everyone else. And I'm not putting this stuff out there to make people aware of my situation personally, but rather the overarching situation of everyone I spend time with these days.

Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids, the only thing that makes me different is I'm doing it against the advice of a lot of people. You guys start giving me all this credit, and my first thought is, "No! Didn't you see? I didn't do this; his doctor did this--despite the fact that 90% of other doctors say he's a quack!" It would be easier if I could feel only joy at his progress, rather than this undercurrent of betrayal. But I think the sense of betrayal also makes me fight harder for him, so I guess that's good too. Well, good for him. And good for my massage therapist's pocketbook.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #550
monster
I hear them call the tide

OK so here's how it is clod. There aren't any bad parents on the cellar that I've noticed. And there are many good parents here, that I've noticed. I like to include myself in this group even though I know for sure that half of the stuff that happens in our day-to-day existance would win "suprisingly-different parenting" awards at best.

but you really have gone above and beyond for your kid. there are many autism-scale kids in our school and their parents are mostly not involved beyond saying "yup, whatever you recommend" And this is a school that attracts proactive parents. I dread to think what happens in the other schools in the district.

...anyway, we know you're not posting here to receive accolade, but it's impossible to read your progress and not say anything. It is wonderful, you are wonderful, and don't worry, karma will come back and bite you in the ass at some point. I bet your dress will be tucked into your knickers at minifobette's wedding and no-one will notice until the pictures are developped.....
Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #551
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Monster nailed it. There may be, "Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids", but how many are there that are doing it by becoming the pharmacy's best customer? In fairness, because they may have been mislead, and probably because they haven't done the work involved to know better, rather than taking the easy way out.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #552
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Monster nailed it. There may be, "Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids", but how many are there that are doing it by becoming the pharmacy's best customer? In fairness, because they may have been mislead, and probably because they haven't done the work involved to know better, rather than taking the easy way out.
Very true

you deserve all the accolades you can get clodfobble.

Last edited by skysidhe; 11-26-2009 at 03:50 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #553
Griff
still says videotape

That she marches on against the pressure is what I admire. There are no experts in the field and more than a little cash grabbing going on. She is rolling the boulder to the top of the hill on her own and one day it'll stay put.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #554
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
That she marches on against the pressure is what I admire. There are no experts in the field and more than a little cash grabbing going on. She is rolling the boulder to the top of the hill on her own and one day it'll stay put.
That's so beautifully put griff.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #555
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Scientist
Treating toddlers for autism boosts IQ later
  • 17:18 01 December 2009 by Bob Holmes
Toddlers with symptoms of autism can show dramatic improvement if they are given early, intensive therapy. The finding, from the first randomised controlled trial in such young children, should settle the question of whether early screening and treatment of autism are worthwhile.
I snagged the article in Pediatrics; let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Tags
autism, food intolerance