The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 AM   #31
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Shoulda planned those rivers more carefully.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #32
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Tw sure can type. Idk about all those cresting river heights. I do know that all this shit is flooded around here. Fayetteville is flooded and Matthew didn't bother them much last time. People like to live next to the water, but for some unknown reason never think about a flood.

Where my parents lived on the Lockwood Folly river in Supply, NC the different floods never got in the house. This time its a foot deep I hear. Just as well I sold it a couple years ago.

Down on the coast are tidal rivers and the tide acts like a dam against the draining landscape. It will take awhile, but Carolinians are tough.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #33
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Gaston IL (on the Mississippi River) would flood. And people assumed that was normal. Two major flood one year apart finally brought sanity. They fixed the human created defect. Gaston move the entire town up the hill. No more flooding.

We would constantly build homes by grading properly. For example, homes on steep hillsides never had flooding. Steep hills in the back yard were graded to that water always flowed away and around from the house. I cannot say how many homes were so badly graded as to beg to be flooded. Building homes on a flood plain or in a reservoir below the dam height is just plain stupid.

A river only at flood stage should never flood any home or close any major highway.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #34
tw

All that water is now coming downstream. Those many rivers that were not so flooded are now above flood stage. Some are now double above flood stage. Some locations are now so high that some river gauges are flooded.

In the small region where the hurricane made landfall, flooding has and remains a problem in towns around the Wilimington suburbs. Water is receding in the northern suburbs. But the runoff from Central NC has not yet increasing in regions west and south of Wilmington. Data in that region is spotty since so many gauges have flooded and failed. But runoff has created floods that are double floodstage in regions between Fayetteville and Wilmington. The Cape Fear river is now collecting that run off.

Fllooding in this small region of NC has exceeded that of Hurricane Mathew in 2016.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #35
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I did an aerial photo reconnaissance mission of the Cape Fear river from Fayetteville out to the coast past Wilmington. I had to photograph a hundred miles of locks, dams, other obstacles and anything that might present a security threat to a Special Forces A-Team that was going to do a nighttime rubber raft exfiltration exercise. I flew in a UH-1H Huey helicopter, open doors, in the middle of summer, with humidity heavy enough to chew the air. If everything had been underwater back then, my day would have been a lot easier. The highlight of the trip was buzzing the coastal surf and waving back at the beachgoers.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Followup, the latest IPCC report agrees that cyclonic storms are decreasing; notes that the only reason we think they aren't is because we're watching closer; and mentions there is some supporting science for why they may decrease during warming.

Quote:
3.3.6 Tropical cyclones and extratropical storms

Most recent studies on observed trends in the attributes of tropical cyclones are focusing on the satellite era starting in 1979 (Rienecker et al., 2011), but the study of observed trends is complicated by the heterogeneity of constantly advancing remote sensing techniques and instrumentation during this period (e.g., Landsea et al., 2006; Walsh et al., 2016). Numerous studies towards and beyond AR5 have reported a decreasing trend in the global number of tropical cyclones and/or the globally accumulated cyclonic energy (Emanuel, 2005; Elsner et al., 2008; Knutson et al., 2010; Holland and Bruyère, 2014; Klotzbach and Landsea, 2015; Walsh et al., 2016). A theoretical physical basis for such a decrease to occur under global warming has recently been provided by Kang and Elsner (2015).
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's right these are pissant storms, you whippersnappers should have seen storms we had back in the day. Every drop of rain fell three times before becoming part of a flood that washed away the school which was always uphill.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think they might retire Michael as a name. I wonder how they decide the replacements? Clearly they will go with a masculine M name, but I wonder if choosing non/less gender-specific names could be the way forward for equality in society.... (Mason, Morgan).

Other possible approaches could be choosing...

>names that need to disappear so maybe if they are given to nasty hurricanes people will stop using them for their kids (Mustard, Moonbeam)
> names stereotypically viewed as non-threatening in the hope that hurricanes will live up to their gentler nature (Malcolm, Marvin)
> names stereotypically viewed as strong because irony dictates those storms will be weak (Mars, Maximus)
> interesting words instead of names to increase the nation's vocabulary (Malacoid, Mucid)

thoughts?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #39
tw

Will there ever be a hurricane named Sue? We all know that need not be gender specific.

Many we should start with Zelda and work backwards.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #40
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

We could use body parts and move on to other species when we run out of ours. It would be educational and a good topic for small talk. A few examples from EENT:

Hurricane Fundus
Hurricane Pinna
Hurricane Nares
Hurricane Uvula
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote