Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #436
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Big news:

Cops can still use state laws, but this is an improvement.

It's insane that this was ever legal.
This is good news, the shit that's been going down is incredible. I know several long distance truck drivers who have been relieved of thousands of dollars, just because it was in cash. Never charged with anything, just robbed. Going through the legal dog & pony show to recover it costs more than walking away and letting them keep it.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #437
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
Extremist.
English Nazi. They don’t maime or turtore.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #438
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

tartar?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #439
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

If this is true, it is time to call the current GOP for what it is... fanatical and unpatriotic zealots.

White House Faults G.O.P. Senators’ Letter to Iran’s Leaders
NY Times - PETER BAKER - MARCH 9, 2015

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The White House on Monday sharply rebuked nearly four dozen Republican senators who sent a letter to Iranian leaders just as nuclear negotiations reach a pivotal moment, characterizing the correspondence as an illegitimate interference in President Obama’s foreign policy.

The letter, signed by 47 Republican senators and addressed to “leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” suggested that the Iranian leaders might not understand the American system and warned them that any deal Mr. Obama and other world leaders might reach on the future of its nuclear program would be reversible without congressional approval.

Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, said the senators were trying to “essentially throw sand in the gears here” in a way that went beyond the role envisioned for Congress in foreign policy by the authors of the Constitution. He said the White House wanted to send a “forceful” rebuttal to the letter because it seemed intent on torpedoing the talks.

“Writing a letter like this that appeals to the hard-liners in Iran is frankly just the latest in a strategy, a partisan strategy, to undermine the president’s ability to conduct foreign policy and advance our national interests around the world,” Mr. Earnest said. He linked it to the decision by Speaker John A. Boehner to invite Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel without consulting the White House to denounce a possible Iran deal in a speech to Congress last week.

The letter, drafted by Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas and signed by most of the Republican majority in the Senate, suggested to Iran that reaching a deal with Mr. Obama might not stick because Congress would not approve it.
<snip>
There have long been rumors that the GOP pulled this same sort of crap
back when George Bush Sr was running for President, and even when
Ronald Reagan was running, but I've been able to ignore them until now.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #440
classicman

.. .. ..
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #441
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The letter from the Arkansas Republican to the ayatollahs and other Iranian officials,
critics say, is a violation of the 1799 Logan Act, which says starkly:

Quote:
“Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States,
directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse
with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof with intent to influence
the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof,
in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States,
or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title
or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”
Usually, and for my adult lifetime, I have been able to avoid calling someone "unpatriotic".
But these 47 GOP signatories to this letter are being unpatriotic because the intent
of their letter is to undermine the legitimate duties of the Offfice of the President.

Their mothers would not be proud.

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #442
classicman

Dems did the same thing in the past... Nothing new here. Move along.
They are virtually all the same - they are the elites. We are insignificant.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #443
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Awesome news, and yet another reason to vote for Democrats*:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
The Justice Department plans to end its use of private prisons after officials concluded the facilities are both less safe and less effective at providing correctional services than those run by the government.
Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates announced the decision on Thursday in a memo that instructs officials to either decline to renew the contracts for private prison operators when they expire or “substantially reduce” the contracts’ scope. The goal, Yates wrote, is “reducing — and ultimately ending — our use of privately operated prisons.”
*I'm sure there are Democrats on the wrong side of this, but with Democrats in control of the Presidency and at least one house of Congress, nobody will be able to block it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #444
El Veto-Voter
Lead Subordinate

Why vote for any of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Dems did the same thing in the past... Nothing new here. Move along.
They are virtually all the same - they are the elites. We are insignificant.
Some politicians look good in the early going. But the more I hear them say, the more I learn about what they've done, and the more I discover what they plan to do... the worse they seem. It doesn't take long for most of them to appear downright dangerous.

They say the stupidest things and expect us to believe them. They get caught lying and act like it is somebody else's fault. They promise to do what's impossible, like spending trillions on new programs without raising taxes or cutting existing programs. They are unbelievable.

I wonder why most of them are out of the looney bin. I certainly can't agree to give them power over me, you, and the normal people.

In fact, I can't imagine any reason for giving anybody the power to rule.

My vote is my power -- and they're not getting it.

El Veto-Voter
www.HaltVote.com
El Veto-Voter is offline   Reply With Quote