The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
10MHz
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Like dead bodies?
Or just select parts.

From The Charlotte Observer

Human leg found in smoker
Amputee: 'I didn’t have anything else to secure it in'

CLEVE R. WOOTSON JR. and MARCIE YOUNG
cwootson@charlotteobserver.com | myoung@charlotteobserver.com
John Wood is trying to get from South Carolina to Catawba County today to retrieve his leg.

On Tuesday, a Maiden man found the lost appendage in a barbecue smoker he’d bought from a storage facility.

The man took the smoker home, looked inside, and saw something wrapped in paper. Inside, said Maiden Police Chief Troy Church, was Wood’s leg - the foot and most of the calf. Police are keeping it for Wood.

Doctors amputated Wood’s leg after a 2004 plane crash in Wilkes County that killed Wood’s father and injured two other family members, Wood said.

“When it was amputated, he told (the hospital) that he wanted that leg saved,” said his sister, Marin Wood-Lytle. “He wanted to keep the bone because he wanted to be buried as a full man.” But instead of a bone, a funeral home delivered the whole leg.

Wood put it in his freezer, his sister said. It became something of a joke when she came over. “I wouldn’t even get a Pepsi out of his refrigerator.”

But it stopped being funny when Wood got behind on his power bill and his electricity was shut off, the sister said.

Despite his family’s protests, Wood-Lytle said, her brother took the screen off his front porch, wrapped the leg inside and “tied it to two posts to let it dry. He was going to mummify it.”

Wood-Lytle said her brother was homeless for a while, living in his van, which he eventually lost.

Their mother put his belongings in a storage facility in Maiden, about 45 miles northwest of Charlotte, Wood-Lytle said, and paid for the first few months.

Reached Tuesday, Wood declined to answer most questions. He did say he put the leg in the smoker because “I didn’t have anything else to secure it in. There were no macabre intentions.”

Maiden Police talked with the storage facility’s owner, who was auctioning off items in the units of people who were behind on their payments. Wood said he asked the owner of the storage facility not to open his belongings and is trying to get from Greenville County, S.C. to get his things.

On Tuesday his sister was watching TV and saw the man who found her brother’s leg and thought “it just seems to never go away.”

She said that on Tuesday, an officer came by and said they had her brother’s leg.

“John had told them ‘how about just dropping it off at
10MHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
and 25+ dog people aren't?
No, they are just as weird IMHO, well unless you are breeding them with a permit, then it would be a job.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
staceyv
Lecturer

Quote:
"PERHAPS HER OWN early life as an unwanted orphan prompted Jerri Diane Sueck to take hordes of cats and dogs into her Northeast rowhouse, where animal-welfare agents seized them yesterday."
Hmmm, do you think I am compensating for feeling unwanted and neglected as a child? I have a pack of chihuahuas that eat better than I do, have a better wardrobe, and have more toys than ever I did as a child.
Something to think about...
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv View Post
Hmmm, do you think I am compensating for feeling unwanted and neglected as a child? I have a pack of chihuahuas that eat better than I do, have a better wardrobe, and have more toys than ever I did as a child.
No plans for a chihuahua skin coat?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Cloud

good lord. They come in packs? (shudder)
Old 10-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Until I switched to healthy food and cooking from scratch, my cats definitely ate better than me. That's a direct reflection of my childhood where love was inextricably linked to love.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did you mean to say, where food was inextricably linked to love, or vice versa?
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #23
staceyv
Lecturer

Monster, do you mean a coat made out of human skin for my chihuahuas to wear? Why? Do you have some to donate?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #24
NoBoxes

AY CHI-WOW-WOW!

Nope, I don't see anything in the recipe about wrapping them in human skin first:

http://www.mj12.com/anson/recipes/chihuahua.html

"Throw in the dried chilis and fry them with the garlic, ginger and spring onion. Don't worry if it starts to smoke, it's supposed to, and this is what imparts that special taste to this dish. Fry them together for another minute or so, then throw in the chihuahua ... "
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #25
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Monster, do you mean a coat made out of human skin for my chihuahuas to wear? Why? Do you have some to donate?
plenty.....
Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
That's a direct reflection of my childhood where love was inextricably linked to love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Did you mean to say, where food was inextricably linked to love, or vice versa?
I'm surprised I didn't write food was inextricably linked to food!
Yes, I did mean food to love.