The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Another cell phone thread

I have seriously fallen out of love with my motorola photon. I have 29 days until I am eligible to re up my sprint contract and get a new phone.

I'm thinking samsung galaxy s4. But then theres the htc 1. Or maybe the note2. Does anyone have any of these particular phones...or want to add one for consideration?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I've got an S3 and Mr Limey has a note (old model).
We LUVS them.
Whaddaya wanna know?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I love my HTC One. I have never loved a phone before. Mr. Clod has some kind of Samsung, and every time I have to use it I am reminded how I love my phone so much more than his.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
glatt

I love my iPhone 4S. It's better than any phone I've ever had, and work pays for it. So that's enough for me, even if there are better phones out there.

I think some phones are getting ridiculously large, but your opinion may vary, or your pockets may be larger than mine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I love my HTC One. I have never loved a phone before. Mr. Clod has some kind of Samsung, and every time I have to use it I am reminded how I love my phone so much more than his.
The reviews rave bout the music apps and speakers. Also the metal construction. Negatives are.... No removeable memory, you cant pull the battery, and one reviewer complained about the reception for phone calls.

The things that make me nuts(bad nuts) about my motorola:

1. When the screen gets colder than about 65 deg, it becomes laggy, and unresponsive. Like it thinks you are long pressing, or just ignores you.

2. If i have wifi enabled, and signal strength is poor, i get no connectivity even by 3G. I have to disable wifi to get any data connection.

3. Every once in a while, (like maybe every 9 or 10 days) it stops receiving texts.... Or sending mine....like its clogged up or some shit... It usually takes me half a day to realize its happening again, so i restart and then i get 4to 6 copies of all the texts i missed.

4. The phone has a kickstand, which would be cool if the fucking charger aperature werent on the side that becomes the botom with it deployed. Stupid.

5. Reception is worse than on previous phones ive had with sprint.

So I'd like to avoid those issues on my next phone, improve battery life, and camera quality. I like the larger note 2, but dont know if that bigger size would be inconvenient in ways i have not ecountered yet. Like, would it fit into my windscreen pouch on the motorcycle ok, or shirt pocket ....

The galaxy s4 is said to be borderline too light. My phone weighs a ton, and i dislike that about it.
Other factors...
This month, the samsung s4 is $149, the htc is $99, and the note is free.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Jelly Bean is the shit. That's all I gots ta say.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Just placed the order for my Nexus 4. I was searching for a decent phone from last couple of months and sheer amount of sets they are rolling out in the market successfully messed up my mindset (if I had any to start with).
Didn't want to spend fortune over a gadget that will be getting outdated within a year or so anyway. So went with gut feeling and purchased Nexus on instinct. Any one out there using it already?
I hope I didn't end being poorer for something stupid.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

The Nexus 6 is being developed by Tyrell Corp.
Let's see how well it does.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

This is gonna be tough to decide.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Phlghty has a note 2 and loves it ,
i have a tablet , and it ROCKS !!!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My Sammy Galaxy Nexus is still hanging in there. I do like the Nexus concept where Google can just release Android phones and tablets without any further vendor stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Yeah, that was the primary reason I went for Nexus. And its easily available for unlocked version at low cost. Big thing that it doesn't seem too pretentious but just a device enough for job required. That will do fo me.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

ok,
I've watched 4 or 5 different comparison videos on you toob, and they all end in ties.

The one guy gave a slight nod to the S4 because if he had to choose, that's what he would go with.

I think I'm gonna go Samsung because of the removable memory and battery. If it had speakers in the front, and the camera the HTC has it would be a lot easier to choose.

The HTC seems more like an iPhone.